New Newton mistaken as Tablet? Any Thoughts?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

I think the organisation tool that Steve Jobs uses is much older and low tech than you think: an analoge personal assistent that breaths: a secretary. Much more practicall in his situation because he don't have to learn how to use it, It has to learn how to be used.

Ooopps; forgot to think about that one...good point
  • Reply 42 of 57
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    To elaborate further. He has the whole organization as a tool.

Apple = Steve + RDF
  • Reply 43 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by mdriftmeyer

That entire line are junk. The rate at which they outdate their products add to their label as being junk.

Did I mention that Filemaker Mobile (Version 2.1) (by Filemaker, a subsidiary, I believe, of Apple Computer) crashed my T5 every single time that I tried to add new records to any database? I downloaded the recommended ROM update to fix the problem and voila!

There sits my T5:

beautiful ,

leading edge \,

silent ,

and dead : .

I'm living on Post-Its at work. It's only a matter of time before I lose something.

V/R,

Aries 1B

PS: $125.00 to repair my T5. $350.00 for a new one.
  • Reply 44 of 57
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    As much as I would like to see Apple debut the world's most beautiful handheld, it's not going to happen.

I think they are better off fighting the next war: Book replacements.

Using PDF technology and modern screens, Apple could debut a Tablet with an actual market.

Digital Student Textbooks, Road Maps, Newspaper/Magazine downloads, technical manuals - all available from the Apple iBookstore.

Apple would once again own the publishing market.

Much more cheaper, useful and within the realm of modern technology than that fabled Movie Store the fanboys keep harping about.
  • Reply 45 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

... Using PDF technology and modern screens, Apple could debut a Tablet with an actual market.

Digital Student Textbooks, Road Maps, Newspaper/Magazine downloads, technical manuals - all available from the Apple iBookstore. ...

Awesome! I hadn't even thought of that. And with Preview being built-in to Mac OS X, they don't need to give any money to Adobe either. The digital bookstore. They've gotta do it!8)
  • Reply 46 of 57
    The great part would be that the book-replacement device could be really cheap, since a number of large newspapers and magazines would subsidize its cost, if it saves them real money on newsprint, printing costs and door to door deliveries.
  • Reply 47 of 57
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    It seems like such a good idea but each time it has been tried it fails miserably.

People just wants to carry a lot of paper around it seems. And then there is the infrastructure problem: There is a whole paper economy out there you would have to break to make it succesful (noone wants to be the first newspaper to press this new format, Noone wants to be the forst publisher aso aso aso. just like the petro-economy). I really can´t find any other explanations to the failure of previous attempts
  • Reply 48 of 57
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

It seems like such a good idea but each time it has been tried it fails miserably.

People just wants to carry a lot of paper around it seems. And then there is the infrastructure problem: There is a whole paper economy out there you would have to break to make it succesful (noone wants to be the first newspaper to press this new format, Noone wants to be the forst publisher aso aso aso. just like the petro-economy). I really can´t find any other explanations to the failure of previous attempts

They have and will fail untill the experience of the book can be reproduced, which includes holding the book, turning the pages, and viewing a non-backlit image. There is something emotionally satisfying about these tactile experiences that current display technologies cannot reproduce. Also Scientists have observed that you use a different part of the brain to read on a monitor than you do on the printed page, not sure if this holds true for handheld displays or not. If I remember correctly this does effect both retention and comprehension of the material read.

The resolution of the display's is still not up to speed either, you really need at least a 200 ppi image. Current display technology will not change this, but there is an electronic paper technology that is being developed by a few companies which promises to resolve these as well as the power requirement issues, as I recall the image state changes with a charge and stays that way till a new "image" is loaded without the need of a continual power to maintain the image.
  • Reply 49 of 57
    First time I heard about digital ink is perhaps five years ago. Did they all take a long lunch break or something?
  • Reply 50 of 57
  • Reply 51 of 57
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    I haven't heard anything in a while either, and I'm not suprised. As I recall the companies were just getting low res prototype (B/W) sheets produced in the lab, with a projected date for a product in the 5-10 year period. The first applications that they saw for the technology were for Bill Boards, which would not need a very high resolution while providing a decent amount of revenue. With it the billboards ads could be changed by computer once the "Screen" was applied to it. I think that they estimated that they would need 4 color technnology with a 200 ppi resolution to come out with an e-book product which would be successfull. That is a pretty large bill to fill.
  • Reply 52 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

What happened?

Market trials have proven beyond the shadow of a doubt that today's consumers are not yet ready to read *everything* on a computer. (and may never be)

Top 5 Reason:

1) Books can be held in the bathtub and on the toilet safely.

2) When you take it to a computer... people have been trained to multitask while computing. (impossible while reading)

3) Copywrite. How do you get *millions* of authors on board? They don't have 'labels' like musicians do.

4) 'Eggs in a basket'. Someone steals your paperback.. who cares. Somone steals your iNewton..you kill their pets too.

5) Copy protection. Go too proprietary.. nobody gets on board. Go too open... everyone pirates you to death. OCR and on screen text capture has gone so far... that protecting works would be harder then writing them.
  • Reply 53 of 57
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Palm isn't dead - it's dieing. Palm makes wonderfully stable platforms (not as good as the newtons I am told, but I have never used one). They dont require defragmentation (cough cough Windows Mobile), they only need a 5 second reset when something goes wrong (majorly pissed off here - couldn't palm bundle a reset pin with the Zire 31? Would it have really added that much to the cost? I dont enjoy carrying a paper clip around with me). Some (not mine) have buetiful screens, and they fit in my pocket.

However, more and more people (myself included) are considering making a Windows Mobile device their next purchase, becuase palm doesn't seem to realise that people are looking for multimedia devices now, not boring PIM applications, which they may use in conjunction. I want something I can throw in my pocket which does movies WiFI phonage GPS music AND PIM.
  • Reply 54 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyriX

Palm isn't dead - it's dieing. Palm makes wonderfully stable platforms (not as good as the newtons I am told, but I have never used one). They dont require defragmentation (cough cough Windows Mobile), they only need a 5 second reset when something goes wrong (majorly pissed off here - couldn't palm bundle a reset pin with the Zire 31? Would it have really added that much to the cost? I dont enjoy carrying a paper clip around with me). Some (not mine) have buetiful screens, and they fit in my pocket.

However, more and more people (myself included) are considering making a Windows Mobile device their next purchase, becuase palm doesn't seem to realise that people are looking for multimedia devices now, not boring PIM applications, which they may use in conjunction. I want something I can throw in my pocket which does movies WiFI phonage GPS music AND PIM.

Palm Tungsten X is supposed to be released soon. $299 for almost T5 capability (and hopefully enhanced reliability )

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 55 of 57
    MacOSRumors writes: (yes, I know :/)

Quote:

The iPod Shuffle began the Flash Memory revolution at Apple... The big leap will come when Flash and other RAM-based storage is introduced to the Mac platform....

Imagine a "Mac Nano" or a "NanoBook." Significantly smaller than today's equivalents, and with significantly faster storage performance. ...

Of course the Newton used flash memory, rather than battery backup as the Palms do, so you never lost any information. If Apple can really afford to sell a Nano with 4GB of flash for $249, then they could make a super-rugged yet super-thin tablet with 8GB or so of flash, 512MB of RAM, and a slightly shrunken Tiger, for $800 or thereabouts. It could revolutionize computing. I'd call it the iPad.

(What, another tablet thread?!)
  • Reply 56 of 57
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

MacOSRumors writes: (yes, I know :/)

Of course the Newton used flash memory, rather than battery backup as the Palms do, so you never lost any information. If Apple can really afford to sell a Nano with 4GB of flash for $249, then they could make a super-rugged yet super-thin tablet with 8GB or so of flash, 512MB of RAM, and a slightly shrunken Tiger, for $800 or thereabouts. It could revolutionize computing. I'd call it the iPad.

(What, another tablet thread?!)

Think of this as a hyperspace jump, a continuation if you will, of a/the previous tablet/PDA thread.

If/When an Apple Tablet is released, some rumor sites are going to disappear.

An Apple Tablet might/could be a pretty eye-catching introduction for a Mac with 'Intel Inside'.

Didn't even shudder when I wrote 'Intel Inside'

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 57 of 57
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    I have a sneaking suspicion that the "video iPod", when it's at last released (06? early 07?), will in fact be a tiny, incredibly slim Wifi Intel-based Apple tablet, running a very spare customized OS, capable of playing (DRM'd or plain mpg) movies, plus modest browsing, E-mail, and notetaking features. $899.