TS just killed the "future hardware" forum for the rest of the year

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Let's not forget - Think Secret really blew the predictions for the iTunes Phone and Mini. You can no longer consider the site reliable.

They did? They said the mini would be revised in Paris rather than that "iPhone" event, but otherwise they hit it pretty well.
  • Reply 22 of 51
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Thus the switch by Apple to Intel based hardware.

What happened to the "still got great PowerPC product in the pipe".

I guess a dual core PM is that and thats it.

Certainly not BAD, but I expected a bit more.

Sony and Microsoft have all of IBM's attention now.

Oh, and Nintendo.
  • Reply 23 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Don't go rolling your eyes at us. As has been pointed out, many times, in other threads, those dual-dual Intels are not available today, and when they are available in mid-2006 (9 months from now), they will likely cost about $3K per processor. If there is to be a dual-dual Intel in a PowerMac, it is probably more than 2 years away.

The PowerMac is a medium-priced, workstation-class machine. It is not a server. It will likely go to a dual-core P4 chip or possibly a Conroe, similar to the developer kit machines of today. FTM, it may start out as a single-core P4. It will never be a Xeon.

(edit) As to the thread title, TS can't kill this forum as long as there are people who Want To Believe. Personally, I want to believe in a 7448-based 13" widescreen iBook...

You have propsed this in a number of threads. Where do you get your pricing info from (link)?

The most expensive Xeons are around $1k mark tops. You can buy Itanium for $2k. Why do you think the Woodcrest (which won't even be the top Xeon class multi-way chip) will be so expensive?

And I sincerely doubt we'll see any P4 based Mac.
  • Reply 24 of 51
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

As has been pointed out, many times, in other threads, those dual-dual Intels are not available today, and when they are available in mid-2006 (9 months from now), they will likely cost about $3K per processor. If there is to be a dual-dual Intel in a PowerMac, it is probably more than 2 years away.

The PowerMac is a medium-priced, workstation-class machine. It is not a server. It will likely go to a dual-core P4 chip or possibly a Conroe, similar to the developer kit machines of today. FTM, it may start out as a single-core P4. It will never be a Xeon.

I am not so pessimistic. The low-end Power Mac will probably use Conroe, but I think the high end Power Mac has to have dual Woodcrest (or maybe dual Sossaman). Woodcrest will be marketed as Xeon DP, which typically costs less than $1000.

BTW, Paxville DP is coming this year, although I don't think Apple will use it.
  • Reply 25 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

They did? They said the mini would be revised in Paris rather than that "iPhone" event, but otherwise they hit it pretty well.

Let's take a look:

Quote:

but will also have the ability of buying songs on the fly over Cingular's network, probably for about $2 a song, sources report.

Not only where they wrong - but it is technically impossible for mobile networks to handle this kind of data transfers. There wasn't a chance in hell of this happening.

Quote:

new design say will shave 20 to 25 percent off the size of the unit.

Not even close. Most people at Apple didn't even know about the Nano, so I'm not sure why TS thought they had the scoop.

Quote:

will be available in three capacities: 4GB, 6GB, and 8GB.

Wrong again.

Quote:

At the same time as it revamps the iPod mini, Apple will also introduce a 2GB iPod shuffle and drop pricing on current iPod shuffles.

Again wrong.

Quote:

Reliable sources at both ends of the spectrum have both confirmed and denied that a video iPod will arrive soon, leaving Think Secret to conclude that this one is "too close to call."

It wasn't close in the least - Apple only features one major product announcement at a time.

The only thing they got right, everyone new already -the mini would go to flash.
  • Reply 26 of 51
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    I just know one thing about TS:

THEY ARE THE MOST RELIABLE RUMORS SITE OUT THERE!

Yes, they get eventually things wrong, but if you average all the predictions and rumors, most are true.

Why do you think Apple filled a lawsuit against them?

Their informant is a good one. so I hope they are right again about this dual core PM.
  • Reply 27 of 51
    ThinkSecret are pretty good at predicting when new hardware is coming......however, when it comes to the specs of that new hardware, they are not nearly as reliable as people think.
  • Reply 28 of 51
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

Originally posted by @homenow

Not suprising at all...FreeScale/Moto and now IBM have proven that their designs do not scale as well as they promised them to and have been unable to deliver the new chips in a timely manner. I look for an early delivery of Intel compatible computers near the end of the first quarter or beginning of the second quarter of next year.

I agree G4 and G5 progress has been pathetic and you cant keep selling the same hardware day after day with no progress. This has hurt Apple for years. They are starting too think different thank God.
  • Reply 29 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by xflare

ThinkSecret are pretty good at predicting when new hardware is coming......however, when it comes to the specs of that new hardware, they are not nearly as reliable as people think.

Yeah - didn't they predict the dual core's would be out already?
  • Reply 30 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by xflare

Well, I think out of all the sites out there, they have the highest overall accuracy WRT hardware. That being said, I think that they tend to be better at pegging the specs of incremental upgrades, rather than the major product revisions/introductions (e.g. - intel transition-which actually was broken by the Wall Street Jouranl, case redesigns, changes from one processor family to another). I can't remember if they broke the original mini introduction or not.
  • Reply 31 of 51
    IMO, Think Secret often missed completely new products (versus updates to current products). Apple has always been good at hiding brand new projects. So even if Think Secret predicts very little updates for the rest of the year, there may still be a few suprise announcements coming up. The "future hardware" forum is not dead yet.
  • Reply 32 of 51
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Yup, I'm pretty sure they broke the story on the mini
  • Reply 33 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

Yes they did and they were pretty much spot on. Link However this was before the major lawsuit correct?
  • Reply 34 of 51
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Actually, I thought it was shortly after the lawsuit, but I you may be right and I may be wrong.

Gotta go to work though, no time to investigate.
  • Reply 35 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

Not really - they said a cheap computer was coming out, but the size caught them completely off guard. Like I said, The don't predict anything anymore than what everyone is expecting anyway.
  • Reply 36 of 51
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    WHAT'S WITH THE DAMN MORTGAGE POP UP WINDOW ON EVERY CLICK!?!!?!?!?!?

Anyways, I guess TS was wrong, unless Apple will just quietly release a DUAL CORE dual sometime soon. I wish Steve would have said if the June intels were Powermacs, all macs or consumer macs.
  • Reply 37 of 51
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

Anyways, I guess TS was wrong, unless Apple will just quietly release a DUAL CORE dual sometime soon.

I think this is what will happen, although not so quietly.

Quote:

I wish Steve would have said if the June intels were Powermacs, all macs or consumer macs.

He did not say, but today he made clear in Paris that there will be no Intel Macintosh before June 2006.
  • Reply 38 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

I think this is what will happen, although not so quietly.

He did not say, but today he made clear in Paris that there will be no Intel Macintosh before June 2006.

This is according to MacBidouille!

Here's a more detailled transcript from the Q&A and it doesn't say that: link

Quote:

?We said we?d be shipping by next June and we are on track to have that be a true statement?.

My thoughts: If Apple coudn't release PBs and PMs at the expo they may speed up the development of the 1st Intel Macs (Yonah-based PBs for MWSF?) or simply delay everything: updated PBs, iMacs and PMs for MWSF, and the 1st Intel Macs (Yonah-based iBs and minis?) for WWDC'06. PBs will get the Merom chip later...

My question: Can Apple really get (in time and quantity) 7448s from Freescale and 970FX/MPs from IBM now that the switch has been done?
  • Reply 39 of 51
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mjteix

This is according to MacBidouille!

True, and I must say that I trust more the journalists that were there. Unless they screwed it up in the translation.
  • Reply 40 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Unless they screwed it up in the translation.

That's what I am afraid of (I know my friends overseas), the other reports on the subject only mention the "on track" part.