Applications bounce but they never openn

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
When I try to open a application like Safari, or system preferences, they just continuously bounce in the dock, then my computer freezes, then I have to restart. What could be wrong?

I have already run my disk utility, fixing the permissions and trashed the preferences from the offending programs, this is what I found in another topic. Any more leads?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Anyone?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    This happens with *ALL* applications, or only some? Because obviously Finder is running...

If you can launch /Applications/Utilities/Console, it will let you look at the error messages left behind by failed launches.

If not, you can try Terminal, and look at the /var/log/console.log and /var/log/system.log files directly.

If *that* doesn't work, open Terminal on another machine, ssh into the broken machine, and then inspect the above files remotely.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    short answer: look for a font called "Times RO" and remove it if you find it

long answer here:

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/multipleappsquit.html
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Thanks for your help, it happens when I open any application, and so far, it happens no matter what combination of RAM I have in the computer (I thought it might be a bad stick of RAM). I am trying that Font removal, and the link that was supplied help give me more things to think about.

Thanks for your help.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    How very odd, since, if the Finder is running, then at least *one* app is able to launch. It may be a problem with LaunchServices itself, although I'm not sure what would give that set of symptoms.