Opera, anyone?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I was never a fan of opera, until it became free. I have been using it for a few days, and now I am using Safari less and less. I am not a techy type, but in the words of Forest Gump, "I like it a lot!"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    I've been using Opera on my PC for about a year. It's done me very well and I can't live without some of the features. I love being able to easily search for bookmarks and other nifty features. I'm glad they've made it add free. Looking forward to seeing it grow.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    I've been using it for a couple of days now and quite like it. Not sure if it's actually better than Safari or Firefox, but I still like it and use it.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    If nothing else, I've found that it's REALLY fast...after the app starts up.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    nice browser, but i don't care for the key commands.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    doesn't work with xanga.com .... poo blah

By doesn't work I mean when you are adding an entry you click on the smiley faces box to bring up the possible smileys... you can't click the smiley and have it directly plop into your entry block. Nor can you put a picture's URL into the entry box and have it show up so you can click a corner and resize it.

Yes yes, I know I can mess with HTML manually but I really don't want to do more work than neccessary.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

If nothing else, I've found that it's REALLY fast...after the app starts up.

Yeah, it takes a good minute for it to start up. But it is fast, I just like Camino a bit more.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Back in the windows days, i used opera because i didn't like firefox (at the time), I just downloaded it and installed it. It still looks good but i havebn't had time to play with it.

Opera is extreamly customizable and i never like the default set-up so i haven't used it yet. But hey, its free so lets \\hope it takes off a bit.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    I downloaded it the other day as I'm a bit frustrated with Safari's slowness lately, but it would not play the Real plugin for the NFL website and then it crashed.

Impressively fast and good looking though. I hope they make it more stable. That should not be a problem, now that it's free and more people will use it.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacAficionado

I downloaded it the other day as I'm a bit frustrated with Safari's slowness lately, but it would not play the Real plugin for the NFL website and then it crashed.

Impressively fast and good looking though. I hope they make it more stable. That should not be a problem, now that it's free and more people will use it.

it could be a problem because it isn't open-source, just free. More users means more work for the few people who get the code. I hope the money from google pays off.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by eekles77

I've been using it for a couple of days now and quite like it. Not sure if it's actually better than Safari or Firefox, but I still like it and use it.

I downloaded it a few weeks ago, and first thing i did was to to see how my homepage [fully HTML and CSS compliant] and it looked totally wrong in Opera. Moreover, a DIV was completetly not shown at all. Needless to say that that was all the mileage Opera got from me.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pbaker05

I was never a fan of opera, until it became free. I have been using it for a few days, and now I am using Safari less and less. I am not a techy type, but in the words of Forest Gump, "I like it a lot!"

Well, I'd use Opera if the damn spell checker bloody well worked, which it doesn't oh, and their damn wand password manager didn't royally suck when it came to being compatible with websites.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

it could be a problem because it isn't open-source, just free. More users means more work for the few people who get the code. I hope the money from google pays off.

It's not so much the money from Google, although that is a factor, but rather the money from their mobile version of the browser for cellphones, smartphones, etc... which is the best one out there.

Making it free increases their mind and marketshare and hence makes the mobile version higher profile.

As for the newly free version of Opera for Mac and PC I like it, but it's unMaclike which is of course is something of a curse. It's damn fast once you get past the startup time though. And it's a third (4th if anyone still uses IE) rendering engine for the Mac.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    pbaker05pbaker05 Posts: 143member
    OK, fine, it sucks.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pbaker05

OK, fine, it sucks.

If you mean Opera, I think I'd have to agree.