The mac mini lottery

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Macrumors and Thinksecret are reporting that Apple is upgrading some of the mac minis, but not saying which ones. An interesting marketing idea.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    m1cm1c Posts: 47member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Macrumors and Thinksecret are reporting that Apple is upgrading some of the mac minis, but not saying which ones. An interesting marketing idea.

I would say don't get one unless they are all upgraded

becuase you will be thinking that you are going to have a 8gb ram, g5 mini and you going to get the same one that the website says wait until they actually change not while they are playing russian roulette.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Some nice updates, although the drive doesn't support dual layer burning as predicted.

I would really have liked DVD-RAM support from Apple as I was thinking of buying a Panny DVD recorder with RAM drive for archiving TV programmes. Maybe there will be a 'workaround' for this in the near future.

Looks like another wait until Apple clear old inventory. \
  • Reply 3 of 5
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

An interesting marketing idea.

A product revision is quietly rolled out but advertised only after old models are cleared from the channel.

It's only rumor weenies that get their panties in a wad over this. It is common practice in manufacturing so you might want to figure out how to deal with it.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MiMac

I would really have liked DVD-RAM support from Apple. . .

Some of the old Sawtooth G4's, or at least the DP 500MHz G4's, had DVD-RAM drives. I would know, because I had one. I would bet that there's support in OS X for at least one model of DVD-RAM.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I would bet that there's support in OS X for at least one model of DVD-RAM.

Well, if there had been previous support for DVD-RAM then it would be a no-brainer for Apple to add support for all of the various media the drive they build into their machines is capable of using. \

Would this not make the mini even more desirable?

This reminds me of a similar problem encountered with the G4 iMac when it was first released (the DVR-104 having DVD-RW functionality 'disabled' by Apple).

I'd guess that there will be a hack available soon enough to enable the functions on said drive that Apple have 'overlooked'.