quicktime 7 export to ipod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
so im using this new feature in quicktime pro to put some family guy episodes into itunes and after its exported and shows up under 'movies' they no longer play any sound. if i just drag and drop an mpg into itunes it plays the video and sound just fine, but any time i export it from quicktime as it says to on the apple site i get no audio at all.

what about you guys? is anyone getting audio? is this normal?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    really? no one has done this yet?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    What codec are the original files using? Are they just plain old MPEG-2?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekdreams

What codec are the original files using? Are they just plain old MPEG-2?

I second this question. Depending on the original media, sometimes the audio is "muxed" with the video, and transcoding it to another codec will therefore drop the audio unless you specially handle it prior to conversion.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I second this question. Depending on the original media, sometimes the audio is "muxed" with the video, and transcoding it to another codec will therefore drop the audio unless you specially handle it prior to conversion.

exactly
  • Reply 5 of 13
    ahh yeah the files say 'mpeg1 muxed'. so what do i need to do to keep the audio files?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Thats weird. I just tried converting an MPEG to with the "convert to ipod" command and with the "convert to MPEG-4" option and neither had audio. Even when I converted to a .mov file it was video only.

However, converting an existing .mov (Sorensen 3) file worked with no problem. I dont know if its a bug or not but until its fixed you have to use another program to convert your videos, try ffmpegX.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Is there a way to convert Divx to be able to watch on the vPod, easily? What's the easiest flow with that?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    If you have the Divx plugin for Quicktime, I think "Export" method above will work, but ffmpegx is another way to go....

As for the original question: I was able to try this with one of the HD trailers on Apple's site and the audio came out fine.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekdreams

If you have the Divx plugin for Quicktime, I think "Export" method above will work, but ffmpegx is another way to go....

As for the original question: I was able to try this with one of the HD trailers on Apple's site and the audio came out fine.

Files that are already in .mov format work fine.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    ok thanks everyone!
  • Reply 11 of 13
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    you have to 'convert' MUXED MPEG1. And I hate that about QUICKTIME.

I use D-Vision.. Awesome free software that does this

also, MPEG Streamclip is a great free app as well.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Convert it to what?
  • Reply 13 of 13
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    the 'easiest' thing to do is to convert it to DV (keep the pixel size the same) and then convert that to whatever format you want....

The DV file will have audio and video