ATi releases graphics card with both dual-GPU and h.264 hardware decoding

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

i've had those weird video problems with scaling and color correction in DVDplayer.app but only when i used atiaccelerator2 to overclock the mobility 9200. i find turning off overclocking of the gpu gives no problems with dvdplayer.app

People overclock mobility 9200's?

Mine isn't overclocked, but I'm running 1024x768+1920x1200.

I'm not saying this is necessarily a bug in the DVD Player, because the resolution isn't supported in the first place. Theoretically, they could have assumed there is always a certain amount of VRAM available relative to maximum resolution (determined by the hardware Apple ships) and designed with that assumption.

To be frank, seems like sloppy design/coding anyway, and probably a bug. A media player should fall back smoothly on system memory, CPU, slower framerates when necessary.

I get the same effects (green flashes, distortion) but worse, when I try any of the stock picture screensavers. Flurry works right.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

[...] are all focused on SLI or crossfire dual-PCI-express slots at 16x each.

They use a 16x slot but only 8 PCIe lines per card.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by smalM

They use a 16x slot but only 8 PCIe lines per card.

yeah... i meant going into 2006 the pcworld will be focused on getting to SLI 32x, that is, using two 16x slots each and delivering full 16 PCIe lanes per card

edit.. so this would "buy some time" for the PCIe platform since even at this stage most cards and motherboards are not "fully maxing out" PCIe
  • Reply 24 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

People overclock mobility 9200's?

Mine isn't overclocked, but I'm running 1024x768+1920x1200.

I'm not saying this is necessarily a bug in the DVD Player, because the resolution isn't supported in the first place. Theoretically, they could have assumed there is always a certain amount of VRAM available relative to maximum resolution (determined by the hardware Apple ships) and designed with that assumption.

To be frank, seems like sloppy design/coding anyway, and probably a bug. A media player should fall back smoothly on system memory, CPU, slower framerates when necessary.

I get the same effects (green flashes, distortion) but worse, when I try any of the stock picture screensavers. Flurry works right.

yeah. overclocking mobility 9200 is good fun with atiaccellerator2 or something like that.

your screen issues is because probably you used screen spanning hack and ibook's not designed to handle spanning and so on etc. heh. it is a bug. you're not supposed to use screen spanning hack mmm... feel the burn. use screen spanning doctor and atiacellerator2 and crank up the resolutions and gpu clock speeds. then launch a opengl window in one monitor then another eg quartz composer preview in the other monitor. one will notice a certain part of the ibook start to get quite hot
  • Reply 25 of 26
    eah. overclocking mobility 9200

Surely you'd have to overclock to melt down to get any speed out of it?

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 26 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

eah. overclocking mobility 9200

Surely you'd have to overclock to melt down to get any speed out of it?

Lemon Bon Bon

now now, don't be naughty...

anyway my other car is a

6600GT overclocked to 555mhz core, 1.22ghz mem

PCI-Express