old G4 into a server..software question?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
With the intro of the Quad G5 I now have an old G4 500 that I WILL try to sell but if not then I thought I might turn it into a server..FTP?..I was wondering what I might need software wise..I would also want to have it connected to my new G5 so that I could control it without a monitor connected

With my limited knowledge in this area I will assume I will need

OSX server software

FTP server software

Apple remote desktop

is there anything else..can this old machine do the job

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    You don't need FTP server software, or OS X Server, for having a place to store files remotely for yourself. OS X "client" with file sharing enabled would do the trick. Now, if you want multiple users uploading and/or downloading, then you'd need a way to manage them. However, that still wouldn't necessitate OS X Server. Something like Crush FTP might cover it and be far cheaper.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    climberclimber Posts: 130member
    I didn't offer enough info on my reasoning... I am a photographer..I would like to use it so that clients can come and get their images (FTP) as well a place for them to view custom web pages. I don't want it open to the whole world.. password protected for FTP and Web-pages. I hope that clarifies things a bit more.. I would rather they go to this machine instead of my main working machine.

The software you mentioned, will that offer all that I need?

thanks
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by climber

I didn't offer enough info on my reasoning... I am a photographer..I would like to use it so that clients can come and get their images (FTP) as well a place for them to view custom web pages. I don't want it open to the whole world.. password protected for FTP and Web-pages. I hope that clarifies things a bit more.. I would rather they go to this machine instead of my main working machine.

The software you mentioned, will that offer all that I need?

thanks

What sCreeD told you still holds. FTP does not have to be open to the whole world. You may want all of your clients to access the same files. To do this, setup one account and give each client the password. You may want each client to access different files. To do this, setup an account for each client. Either way, the regular version of MacOS X should serve your needs.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    thank you sCreed and Mr. Me. Obviously the web page viewing shouldn't be an issue either correct? and Apple remote desktop woudl be the best method for controling the machine(no monitor/keyboard/mouse).

CrushFTP certainly is cheaper!

thank you
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by climber

thank you sCreed and Mr. Me. Obviously the web page viewing shouldn't be an issue either correct? and Apple remote desktop woudl be the best method for controling the machine(no monitor/keyboard/mouse).

CrushFTP certainly is cheaper!

thank you

Apple Remote Desktop, the Admin application, is a remote maintainece application. Kind of overblown, and expensive, for your needs. If the G4 is running Tiger then it has the latest version of Apple Remote Desktop Client, a VNC server on steroids. If the G4 isn't running Tiger download Apple Remote Desktop Client Update 2.2. Then download Chicken of the VNC. CotVNC is a VNC viewer. ARD Client can be set up to accept connections from a VNC viewer, like CotVNC. If you need instructions on how to set up it up let me know. I'll post detailed instructions. If you don't like ARD Client, some people claim it's slow, then download OSXvnc. OSXvnc is a VNC server too. Again if you need instructions just ask.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Thanks for the offer Fahlman. At this point my machine is running Panther 10.3.9. I will be getting my new Quad when it arrives..?..so upgrading to Tiger for this machine isn't worth it. When I do I will try your setup and if I have any ?? I will certainly ask

thanks again