Disk Utility won't format blank CD

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm trying to format a blank CDR to MS-DOS (FAT) partition using the Disk Utility program. I've tried several different blank CDR's and have restarted the disk utility several times and rebooted a couple times.

The end result is the same. When I click on the volume for the CDR and click on Erase, all the options are grayed out.

Is there a way to fix this, or do I need to download another program (cdrecord, XCDRoast, etc)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JavaCowboy

I'm trying to format a blank CDR to MS-DOS (FAT) partition using the Disk Utility program. I've tried several different blank CDR's and have restarted the disk utility several times and rebooted a couple times.

The end result is the same. When I click on the volume for the CDR and click on Erase, all the options are grayed out.

Is there a way to fix this, or do I need to download another program (cdrecord, XCDRoast, etc)?

What is God's name are you trying to do? You can't format a CD-R in the same sense that you format a magnetic disk. Formatting requires writing to the disk, which you can do only once. The default format of CD-Rs written on the Mac is compatible with Windows computers. It just works.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Perhaps he means re-writing to the CD-R, in which case you're out of luck, as CD-Rs are made for single-write-only purposes.

What you need for that purpose is a CD-RW, RW in this case, standing for Re-Writable.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Even a CD-RW won't work because the second writing will require you to erase the original formatting.

AdamR
  • Reply 4 of 11
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by adamr

Even a CD-RW won't work because the second writing will require you to erase the original formatting.

AdamR

And the fact that file system selection is made at point of writing the files to the cdr.

Just purchase a copy of Toast and use that; the end resulting product will work on PC and Mac.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    All I want is to burn a CDR and have it work on a PC. I always assumed that it had to be formatted as FAT in order for this to work, but if the first reply post is correct (going to test this theory with my work Windows PC), then I shouldn't have to worry.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    jedhajedha Posts: 24member
    You have to make an .iso
  • Reply 7 of 11
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JavaCowboy

All I want is to burn a CDR and have it work on a PC. I always assumed that it had to be formatted as FAT in order for this to work, but if the first reply post is correct (going to test this theory with my work Windows PC), then I shouldn't have to worry.

Well, the burning on the fly option, that MacOS X uses, I'm not too sure whether that uses HFS+; the best bet; create an empty image file using disk utility, copy files to it, then burn it to cd using disk utility.

The easier way is using Roxio Toast.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Mr. Me is right. I burn CDs all the time, and have never had a problem using them under Windows.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    awillawill Posts: 43member
    I have never had a problem. Besides you will only be out about $.20 if it doesn't work.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    CD uses it's own format ISO 9660, and both operating systems should be able to read that one. Also UDF format from DVD can be used to gain packet writing capabilities, and to overcome some ISO 9660 drawbacks. Using ISO 9660 is still the safest way to make compatible cd's.

edit: of course the content of the cd has to be something both operating systems can understand, no much of sense to put mac applications on cd and trying to run them on windows, won't work.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Yes, but .iso is for buring Image type of disks, for example if you want to make it bootable.

Just make a burn folder, put whatever you want in there then click burn. Thats it. Or stick the disk in, name it and Open Finder, then drag stuff in, then burn.