New 12" Powerbook - Mac Questions???

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So I just ordered a new 12" powerbook. It has Superdrive and i upgraded the RAM slightly to 768. This is my first MAC ever, so I have a couple questions:

1) do i need to get any anti-virus or anti-spyware programs? I know apple's are less likely to get viruses, but i did see norton anti-virus for macs. Do i need this? anything?

2) are there any accessories or other programs i should get from the beginning? i just ordered the laptop, applecare, and some carrying sleeve.

3) are there any MAC-compatible poker sites? i know i can run most poker sites through VirtualPC, but i dont want to buy it as it is a bit expensive and would rather have a poker site that is compatible for MACs.

4) whats a good site for downloading music? (besides itunes)

5) any advice for a new MAC user?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tutley

So I just ordered a new 12" powerbook. It has Superdrive and i upgraded the RAM slightly to 768. This is my first MAC ever, so I have a couple questions:

Congratulations!

Quote:

1) do i need to get any anti-virus or anti-spyware programs? I know apple's are less likely to get viruses, but i did see norton anti-virus for macs. Do i need this? anything?

Nope.

Quote:

2) are there any accessories or other programs i should get from the beginning? i just ordered the laptop, applecare, and some carrying sleeve.

This is really up to you. What would you be using your computer for? Apple computers come with software preinstalled that will cover most casual needs.

Quote:

3) are there any MAC-compatible poker sites? i know i can run most poker sites through VirtualPC, but i dont want to buy it as it is a bit expensive and would rather have a poker site that is compatible for MACs.

As long as it's web-based, any game site should work fine. The only times you may ever run into trouble are when applications are involved.

I assume these poker sites use Java, Shockwave, or Flash.

Quote:

4) whats a good site for downloading music? (besides itunes)

By download I assume you mean pirating?

Quote:

5) any advice for a new MAC user?

Well yes and no. :P To most people I would suggest holding off on the 12" powerbook, as they just got skipped over and are coming up for an update of some sort. But for a beginner I doubt it would make any difference. They are great machines, and it should keep you quite happy. =)

- Xidius
  • Reply 2 of 2
    There are no viruses that can penetrate Mac OS X. Surprising to PC users, but true. Anti-virus programs are just to prevent you fron accidentally sending viruses through e-mail to Windows users who can get hit. There a lot of legitimate technical reasons why OS X is inherently more secure, and this goes for spyware, adware, and popups, too. You only have to worry about giving your password to dodgy installers--that's one of OS X's built-in security devices. When an app asks for a password, it's aasking for permission to access system stuff--the kind of stuff that Windows admin accounts have access to by default with no password required.

Happy trails, and hope the transition's a smooth one.

And by the way, it's generally "mac," not "MAC."