Almost dead iPod....

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have an almost dead 3G 15GB iPod. I went to the Apple store and they said if I trade it in I get a 10% discount on top of my 10% student discount. (Nice deal 8) ) I have some files on the iPod but I want to do a clear EVERYTHING off of it permanently. How can I do this so no one can peek into it? Also, I was thinking of getting the 30Gig black one. I'm def getting a case for it cuz when I saw teh black nano in the store, the scratches are WAYYYYYYY more visible than the white. So anyone with a black 30gig or 60gig, how do you like it so far?

-PBRules

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBRules

I have an almost dead 3G 15GB iPod. I went to the Apple store and they said if I trade it in I get a 10% discount on top of my 10% student discount. (Nice deal 8) ) I have some files on the iPod but I want to do a clear EVERYTHING off of it permanently. How can I do this so no one can peek into it? Also, I was thinking of getting the 30Gig black one. I'm def getting a case for it cuz when I saw teh black nano in the store, the scratches are WAYYYYYYY more visible than the white. So anyone with a black 30gig or 60gig, how do you like it so far?

-PBRules

you can use the ipod updater program on your computer to format your ipod and i'm pretty sure it erases everything completely. i also have the ipod 30 gig black and i've had it for a week and there are a few minor scratches on the screen, barely noticable. it really helps to keep it in the protective case that comes with it when you're not using it or just listening to music. and besides that it's awesome the video quality is great, etc etc
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Connect your ipod, go into disk utility select ipod choose format, click options, select 35 pass format. Your files will be impossible to recover.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    second that with disk utility, except 7 passes should do. 7 passes is the minimum/federal standard for data deletion. At 7 passes data cannot be recovered by data or by physical examination.

One note is that each additional pass takes more time to do, it took 8-9 hours for my computer to do 7 passes over an external firewire 400 160gb HD.