My iPod is totally shot.

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hey people,

I have a 2nd generation ipod (i think). Its the one with the 4 buttons above the touch wheel that light up red. It has 20gb space.

I just bought a new iMac (used to use it with PC) and it was working with it for a while but all of a sudden its not. it shows up in the desktop but not in iTunes. according to the info on the ipod it still has all of the music on it because theres only 2 gb left on it. while its plugged in through fire wire the ipod makes a clicking sound as if the hard drive is stuck or something. The transfer speed is also very VERY slow. Like a mb/sec. Very strange.

I've tried restoring it but that didnt work. Could this problem be because I switched it from PC to Mac and never installed anything for this particular ipod? Is this the end of my beloved 20gig jukebox!?!?

Help me prease...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wakisan

Hey people,

I have a 2nd generation ipod (i think). Its the one with the 4 buttons above the touch wheel that light up red. It has 20gb space.

I just bought a new iMac (used to use it with PC) and it was working with it for a while but all of a sudden its not. it shows up in the desktop but not in iTunes. according to the info on the ipod it still has all of the music on it because theres only 2 gb left on it. while its plugged in through fire wire the ipod makes a clicking sound as if the hard drive is stuck or something. The transfer speed is also very VERY slow. Like a mb/sec. Very strange.

I've tried restoring it but that didnt work. Could this problem be because I switched it from PC to Mac and never installed anything for this particular ipod? Is this the end of my beloved 20gig jukebox!?!?

Help me prease...

I think that is a 3G you have there. I have the 15 Gb version. It sounds like that HD is hosed. I had the exact same thing happen to mine. It happened about two weeks after what I thought was a pretty mild drop. Fortunately, I was still under warrenty. Not so fortunate for you
  • Reply 2 of 18
    well now its saying it has 18.5 gigs of space. I guess it decided to delete all that was on it. But itunes is still not reading the ipod. Transfer speed seems to be faster. Seems to have a mind of its own.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Same thing happened to me, it was under warranty and I had it replaced.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

Same thing happened to me, it was under warranty and I had it replaced.

The moral of the story: Perform Mil-Std-810 testing on your iPod when you receive it and send it back at once if it fails.

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aries 1B

The moral of the story: Perform Mil-Std-810 testing on your iPod when you receive it and send it back at once if it fails.

V/R,

Aries 1B

What does Mil-Std-810 testing mean?
  • Reply 6 of 18
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    Quote:

What does Mil-Std-810 testing mean?

Military standard testing?
  • Reply 7 of 18
    fngfng Posts: 222member
    For me this would be a fun project to replaced the harddrive with a larger one. What would suck is to pay for one and install it only to find out the HD wasn't the problem all along.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    jiggzjiggz Posts: 31member
    i had a 2G ipod and about a month ago the same thing happened to it. i would plug it in (firewire), the HD would try to start but wouldn't and it would make the clicking sound. the battery was pretty much gone on it too. i looked up how much it would cost to replace the HD and the battery myself but in the end i decided it wasn't worth it and it was time for a new ipod. it actually couldn't of happened at a better time because i think the 30 gig 5Gs look great.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Update on my "shot" iPod:

I attached it to my PC laptop which is the computer I first used it with when I bought it. It went through the whole "ipod naming" thing once again and then showed up in iTunes. I then Brought it back to my mac and hooked it up with firewire and IT WORKS! Very happy. That 30 gb video ipod is looking pretty sweet though.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    congratulations! you may want to do a disk check on it though.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    I'm in two minds as to post this here or make another thread, but for sake of keeping the forums tidy I'll post here.

I dropped my 40GB 4g iPod on Monday from about waist height whilst trying to put it in my pocket. The hard drive spins with a lower pitch and much noisier, sounding like the hard drive has slowed down. It also doesn't play some tracks and skips on to the next one, but if I reset it, it often plays the track that it couldn't before.

Has this situation happened to anyone before, and if so could you fix it? Do I need to buy a new hard drive? I've had it for just over a year and I can't afford to buy a new iPod just yet.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    run a disk check, that doesn't sound too good.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    try resetting it
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by theapplegenius

run a disk check, that doesn't sound too good.

How do I run a disk check?

Quote:

Originally posted by unregistered

try resetting it

Is this by pressing the menu and center buttons? I have completely wiped it off and put the songs on there again.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility

The iPod is just another external hard drive to the Mac, so you can run standard disk checking utilities on it to repair (some) problems before having to wipe it. \
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility

The iPod is just another external hard drive to the Mac, so you can run standard disk checking utilities on it to repair (some) problems before having to wipe it. \

Okay well, I did that clicked verify disk and it came up with an error, clicked repair disk and it repaired something. I did a check and out of 50ish songs none stalled. So maybe this has fixed it.

Hard drive still sounds like it is running slowly though.

Also Kickaha, I have googled around for disk check and apparently the iPod has one built into it, but I can't find how to initiate it. Maybe it's the same as the Mac's Disk Utility..?

At any rate I'll hold off from buying a replacement drive / new iPod to see if this has fixed it, thanks guys.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I had no idea that some models with some firmware had their own diagnostics internally... cool. No, I doubt it's the same as the Disk Utility app, since that's based on the fsck app. It's probably much more low-level and tuned precisely to what the iPod needs. OTOH, DU can repair the drive, as you discovered.

Here's a URL for built-in diagnostic modes, if anyone is interested: http://ipoding.com/modules.php?op=mo...rticle&artid=3
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:

Update on my "shot" iPod:

I attached it to my PC laptop which is the computer I first used it with when I bought it. It went through the whole "ipod naming" thing once again and then showed up in iTunes. I then Brought it back to my mac and hooked it up with firewire and IT WORKS! Very happy. That 30 gb video ipod is looking pretty sweet though.

Very interesting. In fact my problems only starting happening after my brother tried reformatting and using it on his PC. Later I fixed it for mac again but the problems persisted. Perhaps if I had plugged it back into the PC it would have helped?

Very interesting though that we had the exact same problem. I'm glad mine was under Apple Care.