First Intel Macs on track for January

Comments

• Reply 21 of 451
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

Why are people so touchy on these boards? 8)

Mostly because we are a bunch of Arrogant Bastard Mac-lovers...

And since those are the majority of folks who even bother seeing what comes out from Apple in the new year, and the IMac & PowerBook are their best selling items...

Those would be the items which just might sell the most to the Faithful Masses, also known as "Beta Testers"...

;^p
  • Reply 22 of 451
    No ones touchy, you just cant feel the emotion behind the persons text.

Thats were smilies comes into play but im really feeling like this
  • Reply 23 of 451
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ascii

If Apple wants to release Intel Macs as early as January, they need to send an army of engineers over to the game companies to help them.

Rubbish. Games have never been central to Apple sales. These will be the first MacIntels; sales will not be a problem.
  • Reply 24 of 451
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Introducing new products has been the main purpose of MWSF for many years. At this year's MWSF, for instance, the Mac mini (new), iWork '05 (new), iLife '05 (upgrade), and the iPod shuffle (new) were introduced. MWSF '04 saw the introduction of the iPod mini, amongst other things. MWSF '03 introduced to us the 12- and 17-inch PowerBooks. The iMac G4 came at MWSF '02.

The list goes on.

Your logic assumes that Apple's currently line-up is not good enough for enough customers to buy it. It is. Apple revenues are higher than Apple, and not just so in the iPod space. Macintosh revenues have been going up and away lately. They introduced several minor upgrades to the Macintosh line this fall in order to bump up holiday sales, but that's it -- more than enough people will buy them. Once holiday season is over, they can introduce new products for the next season.

Clarification: They Introduce in January MacWorld and then they release in Mid-to-Late March the actual Products and often it rolls into April.
  • Reply 25 of 451
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mdriftmeyer

Clarification: They Introduce in January MacWorld and then they release in Mid-to-Late March the actual Products and often it rolls into April.

Sometimes, not always.
  • Reply 26 of 451
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinney57

Rubbish. Games have never been central to Apple sales. These will be the first MacIntels; sales will not be a problem.

Oh well, in that case it won't hurt to put a sign next to the computer says "Warning: there are no games for this computer." It's the truth, and since it won't effect sales, why not be truthful?
  • Reply 27 of 451
    Quote:

Oh well, in that case it won't hurt to put a sign next to the computer says "Warning: there are no games for this computer." It's the truth, and since it won't effect sales, why not be truthful?

Nice troll.
  • Reply 28 of 451
    Marketing iTunes as a brand name with little reference to Apple.Inc is a defensive legal tactic to thwart Apple Record's proposition it suffers harm by confusion with a computer company.

[
  • Reply 29 of 451
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Nice troll.

I was not trolling, merely bringing his suggestion from the abstract in to the concrete, to allow people to see what he was really saying.

It seems to me that when he called my post "rubbish" - that was a troll.
  • Reply 30 of 451
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    The truth is that this is strange.

We've been talking (and mostly agreeing) that PB's won't come until April - May, at the earliest. Later ,if Apple decides to go for 64 bit Merom first.

The iMac wasn't even in the talking points!

Now this seems logical?

The Mini, which seems to be a good idea for first, and possibly January, and reported in several place as being first, is now relegated to spring?

Didn't we just have a discussion about just that?

Maybe we should wait a bit on this.

The other thing that bothers me about it is that several places have reported totally new enclosures, not just thinner.

Even our friend Enderly said that Apple's new x86 designs were going to blow people away.

And you know about him!
  • Reply 31 of 451
    I partially agree melgross, but we have all just been re-brainwashed with another wonderful story . I just cant tell anymore, what is real ahhh
  • Reply 32 of 451
    As goes January, so goes teh rest of the year.

And I agree with Chucker -- TROLL!!
  • Reply 33 of 451
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

Maybe you can help out. Does Apple TYPICALLY introduce new hardware at this time? Just curious. I don't recall major announcements happening in January. Apple is smarter than that.

• Reply 34 of 451
    Let's, for a monent, say that it's true.

I've planned to get a Quad in January. The cost of this will be over $4,000 with the 7800, 2 GB starter RAM, and any taxes etc.

This would be fine if a new x86 model comes out in late 2007.

But, if one is announced in, say, September, that would be a problem.

When I had my lab, I would be ordering 6 Quads in January. In business, you get what you need when you can get it, so the early release wouldn't bother me.

But now, it's for myself. I wonder what those who just got theirs are thinking.

This is the problem with Apple just dropping things like this on us. It's tough to make plans.
  • Reply 35 of 451
    Quote:

I was not trolling, merely bringing his suggestion from the abstract in to the concrete, to allow people to see what he was really saying.

What he was saying is that Apple won't stop selling a product just because it lacks the support of several minor third parties. There will be games for Intel Macs soon enough. There will be pro apps soon enough. Neither Apple selling nor customers buying Intel-based Macs in January is a bad decision.
  • Reply 36 of 451
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

How about a sticker for Windows PCs that reads "Warning: in less than 24 hours this computer will be infested with viruses, worms, trojans and malware". Like you said, why not be truthful?
  • Reply 37 of 451
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

How about a sticker for Windows PCs that reads "Warning: in less than 24 hours this computer will be infested with viruses, worms, trojans and malware". Like you said, why not be truthful?

There's such a thing as TOO much truth!
  • Reply 38 of 451
    Its great that theres so much humor among this board today.
  • Reply 39 of 451
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    This transition will have some rough edges for both Apple and users--but it will be well worth it to everyone.

Even Apple may not yet know the final transition schedule, so we shouldn't be surprised at shifting rumors.

And the term "consumer Mac" could mean different things. Some would say that means ONLY the iBook and Mac Mini. Others would say it means everything except the Xserve.
  • Reply 40 of 451
    Quote:

Neither Apple selling nor customers buying Intel-based Macs in January is a bad decision.

Well we'll have to agree to disagree I guess. I think they should wait until there's more software.