Treo 650 ?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Does anyone know if a Treo 650 is Mac compatiable? (Verizon Edition)

Will I be able to sync ical, mail, addressbook, etc ? The web site says the Bluetooth is compatiable with a Powerbook. Does anyone exactly what that means? What about the Apple wireless keyboard ? Anyhow, I want to get a Smart/PDA phone, I am on Verizon with a "sweetheart" deal that I can't match on any other carrier at this point. Any Verizon suggestions to go along with my Macs ( all running 10.4.2) with Bluetooth and Wireless.

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I have an unlocked GSM Treo 650, it works as advertised, except for the following proviso regarding certain fields in the Palm contacts database (which actually applies to any recent Palm and is a longstanding issue with non-Palm conduits):

http://www.entourage.mvps.org/palm/note/00a.html

I have used both Bluetooth and USB syncing (though BT syncing is SLOW). At least for my GSM Treo on T-mobile, it also works as a Bluetooth modem (note that certain carriers may have disabled this, but I have the 'generic' unbranded Treo).
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Thanks, are you Happy with your Treo ? I'm also looking at the Samsung, but with Windows Mobile, its probably not going to work very well.

doubt that Verizon will let me use the Treo as a modem. Great if they do !

Thanks Again!
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by bobo28

Thanks, are you Happy with your Treo ? I'm also looking at the Samsung, but with Windows Mobile, its probably not going to work very well.

doubt that Verizon will let me use the Treo as a modem. Great if they do !

Thanks Again!

I am as happy as I can be given these devices; I've always been a PalmPilot user, so it was an easy transition. The addition of a phone with wireless internet access greatly increases its utility compared to a standard Palm. The three essential add-ons for your Treo are ChatterEmail, Launcher X, and Butler.

I have tried Windows Mobile phones, but I hate the UI, they tried to hard to make it like Windows (i.e. too many layers of menus, etc.). Plus, that nauseating blue UI FWIW, MissingSync from Mark/Space might mean that a Windows Mobile works just as well on a Mac, I'm not sure.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I have a Sprint Treo650.

Yes, it syncs with AddressBook, iCal, etc.

Yes, it does it over BT with no probs (USB is faster). Also works as a modem using BT with the pBook. I don't know about the wireless keyboard.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

I have a Sprint Treo650.

Yes, it syncs with AddressBook, iCal, etc.

Yes, it does it over BT with no probs (USB is faster). Also works as a modem using BT with the pBook. I don't know about the wireless keyboard.

I can't get mine to sync over bluetooth or connect to internet over bluetooth. I had it once, but it broke itself. I bought a third party app "missing sync" and that has helped with regular syncing via the cable, but still a no go on any bluetooth syncing for me....
  • Reply 6 of 11
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I just got the Verizon Treo 650 last week and still have one problem with it. When I first got it I synced with my laptop 10.4.3 and everything in iCal and Address Book transferred over with no problem. I then set up the the verizon wireless sync so that I could get my email on the pda. That broke the iCal and Address book conduit. Going into the Wireless Sync program and enabling syncing with other apps, Address Book was up and working properly again. My problem is with iCal. Calendar items and To Do's will will transfer to my laptop from the treo but will not go from the laptop to the treo. Has anyone else had this problem? I have not contacted Verizon yet but I would rather have my iCal and Treo talking both ways than use their Wireless Sync app.

reg
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Apple seriously needs to come out with the iPhone. The amount of crappy phones on the market is ridiculous.

All it needs to be is-

iPod nano- maybe a little thicker

2GB and 4GB versions

2MP camera

GSM

keep the scroll wheel

no number pad

syncs address book.app via bluetooth

ditto w/ iCal

rotary dial for when you have to put in a manual number (how often do we do this?- for me- not often- hence address book sync)

then let it act like a bluetooth modem- no locks on file transfer- sell it unlocked

works on all GSM networks

I'd buy it for $399

They need to keep it very simple- typical apple style- think different.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Like This.

• Reply 9 of 11
    trowatrowa Posts: 176member
    If you are willing to spend some money on software I suggest you go look at Missing Sync

Missing Sync 5 does a great Job of syncing ical and address book with the Treo. Syncing mail on the otherhand is a different story. There is no software I am aware of that syncs with Apple's Mail on the Treo 650. I recommend getting chatteremail if you want a robust email client that will handle POP/IMAP and gmail with ease. Versamail is ok, but if you do heavy emailing and need to handle multiple accounts this app is the best at it.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by trowa

If you are willing to spend some money on software I suggest you go look at Missing Sync

Missing Sync 5 does a great Job of syncing ical and address book with the Treo. Syncing mail on the otherhand is a different story. There is no software I am aware of that syncs with Apple's Mail on the Treo 650. I recommend getting chatteremail if you want a robust email client that will handle POP/IMAP and gmail with ease. Versamail is ok, but if you do heavy emailing and need to handle multiple accounts this app is the best at it.

I bought Missing Sync 5 the day it came out, it solved every one of my complaints above about the Apple iSync conduit and more. Works very well. Ditto on the Chatter Email, I've used it for a while now. Too bad .Mac e-mail doesn't support the IMAP IDLE command.

I does suck though that I had to pay $80 for additional software on top of my Treo to get it to work well.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Well I solved my problem by doing this since I do not need Verizons web based desktop

1. Hard reset

2. Hotsynced - This restored all my 3rd party apps and imported all my Address Book and iCal info.

3. Went into Weireless Sync and adjusted setting for both Sync and SyncXpress. Deselected Address Book, Date Book, to Do List, Memo Pad and Personalized info.

4. Merged Data for Wireless Sync after doing the set up changes

5. Tested web and email, it all worked

6. Tested changes to address Book and iCal on both the Treo and laptop. It worked both ways.

Tested bluetooth and cable (which is much faster), everything works. Now if only there was printed Mac support availible when I first set this up.

reg