Firmware Updates?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Are Mac folks just generally screwed when it comes to firmware updates for most optical drives since it seems that most manufacturers just provide Firmware Updates in PC format?

What's a Mac guy to do if we don't access to a PC?

Doug

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    The firmware for DVD drives in apple computers can be customized by apple usually to limit functionality and keep the specs similar across the line. Some 1st gen G5's have crippled burners that can physically support dual layer media, but this was disabled.

You can put the drive in a PC, load new firmware, and put it back into the mac along with a hack.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    That's my whole point. I should NOT have to borrow a friends PC, dismantle it and then reassemble it in order to update the firmware for a component on MY Mac.

Doug
  • Reply 3 of 7
    ...so don't use a Mac if you don't like the way they work.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Douglas Holley

That's my whole point. I should NOT have to borrow a friends PC, dismantle it and then reassemble it in order to update the firmware for a component on MY Mac.

Doug

These programs that flash firmware are from the more, um, disreputable corners of the net. While there are certainly pro-mac hackers out there, it is more worthwhile and useful to create PC apps than Mac. Beggars can't be choosers, and you WON'T find what you want to use from the manufacturers web site.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    why do you need to flash your fimware anyway?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    The manufacturer, in this case, LG, issued an updated firmware to improve the performance of the optical drive.

Doug
  • Reply 7 of 7
    LG made drives for Apple?