How will the new AOL/WB online TV network affect iTunes video sales?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Interesting development:

Free TV content for AOL broadband users

Key quote:

Quote:

These series will be offered in a new DVD quality video format called "AOL Hi-Q." This new technology, which builds upon AOL's industry-leading online video experience, enables high resolution, full-screen viewing. It will be made available free to any broadband user (along with standard-quality streaming). AOL.com is the first major portal to offer this kind of high quality video experience to consumers.

So, does this free content mark an end-around iTunes, or is it no better than a subscription service, since you need AOL to use it? Also, it's older TV material, not new episodes available the next day like Lost or Desperate Housewives.

Curious to hear what you all think.

GTSC

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Probably doesn't affect it at all until both places carry the same content. The customers for old episodes of "The Fugitive" are not the same as those for "Deperate Housewives" and "Lost".
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gandalf the Semi-Coherent

Interesting development:

Free TV content for AOL broadband users

Key quote:

So, does this free content mark an end-around iTunes, or is it no better than a subscription service, since you need AOL to use it? Also, it's older TV material, not new episodes available the next day like Lost or Desperate Housewives.

Curious to hear what you all think.

GTSC

Apple is going about tv and video the wrong way and recent announcments by competitors have shown that.

You don't need AOL to use that service either.

The only way I would pay for tv or dvds or video is a subscription model. I simply don't care if I own them. I never have. Everyone pays cable and satellite subscriptions. It's the norm. And I'm not about to change to paying 2 bucks an episode with terrible quality and limited usage rights.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by L'Angelo Misterioso

You don't need AOL to use that service either.

Are you sure about that? I thought this was AOL's way of boosting their user base.

Will there be a way of saving these "broadcasts" to your hard disk for loading on a portable player? Seems this is an advantage Apple has. With the reported (two hour) battery life of a new iPod playing video, I don't know if I'd use that feature much even if I had one.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

Are you sure about that? I thought this was AOL's way of boosting their user base.

Will there be a way of saving these "broadcasts" to your hard disk for loading on a portable player? Seems this is an advantage Apple has. With the reported (two hour) battery life of a new iPod playing video, I don't know if I'd use that feature much even if I had one.

No, it's AOL's way of boosting their ad revenue.

They know their userbase is a lost cause
  • Reply 5 of 5
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by L'Angelo Misterioso

Apple is going about tv and video the wrong way and recent announcments by competitors have shown that.

AMEN...a $1.99 video should NOT be pixelated on a 17 inch 1024.768 screen, if Divx pirates can get great (damn near DVD) quality into a ~600 MB file for a 2 HR motion picture, surely apple can do better than postage stamp resolution...and screw vid-pod, who acctually watches anything longer than ~3 Min on a 2 inch screen whem the shots were framed for view on a TV?

There is a reason that no one carries those pocket TVs arround....