Wish lists for the new Apple x86 notebooks !

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What are your suggestions for the future x86 Apple notebooks ?

Here are my "top-ten" for a future 12'' PowerBook (many are applicable to all sizes of notebooks, some are ultra-slim related):

01) PLACE TWO MOUSE BUTTONS (you can still assign them both to left-click by default if that is such a huge concern, but after that let the customer decide what to do with them);

02) the 12'' is normally intended to be ultra-light, so place the DVD writer into a docking station or better yet - some ultra-thin external enclosure - firewire if you can provide power over it, or an "extended USB" like the Dell D/Bay for the X1;

03) remember that thin, light, cool and with long battery life are all very important things; when Intel will let you choose between a 2.4 GHz dual core 800 MHz frontbus, 1.86 GHz low-voltage and 1.4-1.6 GHz ultra-low-voltage don't be afraid to pick the lower-speed part - even if it might actually be a little more expensive the 12'' must not burn your lap and last for at least 4-5 hours;

04) be certain that many people will like to also install Windows on it - of course that SteveJ would like to have his own OS monopoly like BillG does, but for the moment that is not the case so instead of just being different and loosing market share this time go for "different yet most compatible" and be a winner;

05) don't be cheap on the keyboard part - and again don't be afraid to look at the keyboard from the best Latitudes or Thinkpads; since we already established that customers like compatible things also be certain that the keyboard will work great (and have all keys) in Windows; a "convertible tablet PC" might also be a VERY tempting thing, but without OSX support for it chances are rather slim ...

06) for wireless go a/b/g/n - it will probably add 5-10 US$ to a 2000 US$ fabulous notebook but buyers will love to know that it will work in any wireless configuration possible;

07) of course that the latest stuff is the greatest but it's not a bad idea to also add some of the older things - infrared, PCMCIA, even not so old stuff like Bluetooth; serial and parallel are optional on an ultra-slim but should be present on a dock;

08 ) if you must only have one memory slot and a default "soldered" memory don't be afraid to go for 1 GByte - RAM is rather cheap now;

09) build it TOUGH - people should not be afraid that the top lid is too thin and the keyboard will leave a mark on the screen; in case that the Nano lesson was already forgotten - SCRATCHES ARE BAD - so go for a matte/brushed finish (the very old Latitude X200 is one of my all-time favorites);

10) last but not least - a notebook like that will certainly be among the all-time greatest but that does NOT mean that now it's the moment to add a 500% margin - so KEEP A VERY GOOD PRICE and plan to make money on volume in the long term!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    Make sure to send it out to Santa Clause, North Pole.
  • Reply 2 of 54
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Keep it like it is with the usual upgrades to GPU, memory aso. Optional 802.16 and GSM. A bit on the finish. Rest goes to lowering the price.
  • Reply 3 of 54
    ragexragex Posts: 126member
    Easy access to internal components such as hard drive. Should be user replaceable.

At least one more usb2.0 port.

Some form of intergrated card reader. Even cheap pc notebooks have this feature. I am sure Apple can come up with a slick solution for this.

Improved internal antenna for wireless reception.
  • Reply 4 of 54
    The Apple laptops should have a variety of these features.

1. Single to Dual Core Pentium M chips.

2. 5400 and 7200 RPM hard drive options

3. An Advanced Dock with swappable bays

4. Wireless WAN

5. Biometric finger reader

6. TPM Module

7. Webcam with IR Sensor.

8. A/B/G with MIMO and Bluetooth 2.0

9. Top notch LCD (Widescreen)

10 Trackpad with window scroll

11. Nice keyboard with backlighting

12. Dedicated Graphic memory

13. Carbus and Expresscard 54 slots

14. Dual monitor output with Dual Link DVI

15. Card Reader

16. 2x USB, 1x FW 400, 1x Gigabit, 1x eSATA port

17. Internal bay with standard Superdrive

18. Black color

19. Digitial audio I/O and S-Video out

20. 8 Cell battery
  • Reply 5 of 54
    i would love a PowerBook Dock, i dock up my iBook everyday and its a total pain in the ass to disconnect a monitor, KB and mouse twice a day, too much wear for me too.
  • Reply 6 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by theapplegenius

i would love a PowerBook Dock, i dock up my iBook everyday and its a total pain in the ass to disconnect a monitor, KB and mouse twice a day, too much wear for me too.

I've got a Dell TFT display with a built in USB hub, so for me it's just two cables to "dock" my PowerBook:

1. Plug in DVI cable

2. Plug in USB cable

That's it, even though I've got half a dozen USB devices connected, including a mouse, keyboard, external hard drive, scanner, printer, card reader and USB Christmas tree!
  • Reply 7 of 54
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Did you just pick 10 random things that sound cool, or did you actually think about what makes sense? Because this doesn't.

Quote:

Originally posted by xdesk

01) PLACE TWO MOUSE BUTTONS (you can still assign them both to left-click by default if that is such a huge concern, but after that let the customer decide what to do with them);

One button with two sensors, Ã* la Mighty Mouse, might happen. What you suggest probably and hopefully won't.

Quote:

02) the 12'' is normally intended to be ultra-light, so place the DVD writer into a docking station or better yet - some ultra-thin external enclosure - firewire if you can provide power over it, or an "extended USB" like the Dell D/Bay for the X1;

Apple is (hopefully) not going for the subnotebook market, where overpriced and underequipped come together.

Quote:

03) remember that thin, light, cool and with long battery life are all very important things; when Intel will let you choose between a 2.4 GHz dual core 800 MHz frontbus, 1.86 GHz low-voltage and 1.4-1.6 GHz ultra-low-voltage don't be afraid to pick the lower-speed part - even if it might actually be a little more expensive the 12'' must not burn your lap and last for at least 4-5 hours;

A given, since Apple has been doing this for a while.

Quote:

04) be certain that many people will like to also install Windows on it - of course that SteveJ would like to have his own OS monopoly like BillG does, but for the moment that is not the case so instead of just being different and loosing market share this time go for "different yet most compatible" and be a winner;

A given, since Schiller already said they won't prevent Windows from running. They just won't support it, for obvious reasons.

Quote:

05) don't be cheap on the keyboard part - and again don't be afraid to look at the keyboard from the best Latitudes or Thinkpads; since we already established that customers like compatible things also be certain that the keyboard will work great (and have all keys) in Windows; a "convertible tablet PC" might also be a VERY tempting thing, but without OSX support for it chances are rather slim ...

A given, since the PowerBook keyboard is already pure excellence. Hopefully, the illumination will extend to the low-end model as well (then again, AppleInsider somewhat understandably predicts that one will be dropped).

Quote:

06) for wireless go a/b/g/n - it will probably add 5-10 US$ to a 2000 US$ fabulous notebook but buyers will love to know that it will work in any wireless configuration possible;

Nobody gives a flying fuck about a, and n isn't even close to be done. There's two competing (and entirely incompatible) developments on the n front, so creating a chipset right now is suicide -- there would be a 50% chance of leaving customers with ultimately useless hardware.

Quote:

07) of course that the latest stuff is the greatest but it's not a bad idea to also add some of the older things - infrared, PCMCIA, even not so old stuff like Bluetooth; serial and parallel are optional on an ultra-slim but should be present on a dock;

Um. Serial and parallel? Infra-red? Wtf? There's hardly even any hardware for Mac OS X that works with that. (Don't point out the Apple Remote or I'll have to shoot you. )

And of course Bluetooth will be there. All Apple laptops currently have Bluetooth 2.0+EDR. Why would they drop that.

CardBus (PCMCIA) won't make it to the smallest Apple laptops. There just isn't any need. Bigger ones already have it and always have, and I see no reason for that to change.

Quote:

08 ) if you must only have one memory slot and a default "soldered" memory don't be afraid to go for 1 GByte - RAM is rather cheap now;

The bigger ones already have no soldered memory and two slots. The smaller ones have one slot and soldered memory to, um, duh? save space, which you keep suggesting. A change to 1 GB default I don't see happening just yet; they just transitioned to half that this year. In late 2006 maybe.

Quote:

09) build it TOUGH - people should not be afraid that the top lid is too thin and the keyboard will leave a mark on the screen; in case that the Nano lesson was already forgotten - SCRATCHES ARE BAD - so go for a matte/brushed finish (the very old Latitude X200 is one of my all-time favorites);

Apple laptops aren't designed for military missions in the Middle East.

Quote:

10) last but not least - a notebook like that will certainly be among the all-time greatest but that does NOT mean that now it's the moment to add a 500% margin - so KEEP A VERY GOOD PRICE and plan to make money on volume in the long term!!!

Oh yeah, because Apple laptops are overpriced. Uh, not. They are priced perfectly fine.
  • Reply 8 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Nobody gives a flying fuck about a, and n isn't even close to be done. There's two competing (and entirely incompatible) developments on the n front, so creating a chipset right now is suicide -- there would be a 50% chance of leaving customers with ultimately useless hardware.

Oh yeah, because Apple laptops are overpriced. Uh, not. They are priced perfectly fine.

Wow. You're pretty vicious.

I don't know about n, but a is definitely worth it (as a bto, not standard). It's not common, but it DOES exist, and is particularly common in Asia apparently.

Since when are Apple laptops not overpriced? Comparabale laptops in the PC world are far cheaper. That's why there was such a stir when the Mac Mini came out "The first low-cost Mac". Admittidley, its worth it, and prices have come down somewhat lately, but even so, they're still pretty steep.

I would like to see a remote included with every mac, as well as FrontRow.

I would like somewhat less flimsy laptops, and which are more fingerprint resistant...that damn white.

Card readers are unneccesary in a laptop, IMO; they just add space. In most case, you can just connect whatever device it was in anyway (ie: Camera over USB)

A dock ala IBM (where the port is one the bottom of the laptop) would be really nice, prefarable with 2 dvi ports.
  • Reply 9 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

I don't know about n, but a is definitely worth it (as a bto, not standard). It's not common, but it DOES exist, and is particularly common in Asia apparently.

It doesn't offer any advantage over g and it offers two significant disadvantages: it's a different frequency, thus incompatible with b (unlike g, which is entirely compatible with b), and also because of the frequency, it's not legal in many regions of the world, as the frequency is already used up by military and similar.

Quote:

Since when are Apple laptops not overpriced? Comparabale laptops in the PC world are far cheaper.

That's an interestingly bold statement to make. Care to back it up? Pick any Apple laptop configuration and find another significant brand -- e.g. Dell or Samsung -- that's significantly (10% or more) cheaper.

Quote:

That's why there was such a stir when the Mac Mini came out "The first low-cost Mac".

The mini isn't a laptop.

I'm not arguing that Apple is cheap. It's a premium brand. Compared to other premium brands (again: Dell, Samsung, HP, whatever), it is very competitive.

Quote:

Admittidley, its worth it, and prices have come down somewhat lately, but even so, they're still pretty steep.

The Mac mini had zero effect on the pricing of other Mac desktops and laptops.

Quote:

I would like to see a remote included with every mac, as well as FrontRow.

Yes, so would I.
  • Reply 10 of 54
    Quote:

It doesn't offer any advantage over g and it offers two significant disadvantages: it's a different frequency, thus incompatible with b (unlike g, which is entirely compatible with b), and also because of the frequency, it's not legal in many regions of the world, as the frequency is already used up by military and similar.

But it still exists (unfortunately, I know), but if it's a BTO, it doesn't affect those who don't want it.

Quote:

That's an interestingly bold statement to make. Care to back it up? Pick any Apple laptop configuration and find another significant brand -- e.g. Dell or Samsung -- that's significantly (10% or more) cheaper.

Dell 9300

First one I found. And while it doesn't have Apple's special glow, compare that to a powerbook...

Quote:

The mini isn't a laptop.

I never said it was. I used it as an example of what Apple could do if it wanted to.

Quote:

I'm not arguing that Apple is cheap. It's a premium brand. Compared to other premium brands (again: Dell, Samsung, HP, whatever), it is very competitive.

The Mac mini had zero effect on the pricing of other Mac desktops and laptops.

I never said it did, but if you look at the pricing for laptops, they've been coming down slightly (ie: 17" PB has crept down)
  • Reply 11 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

But it still exists (unfortunately, I know), but if it's a BTO, it doesn't affect those who don't want it.

Except it means additional engineering costs from Apple, unless they use a third-party implementation such as Intel's -- in which case they still need to write drivers anyway.

Quote:

Dell 9300

First one I found. And while it doesn't have Apple's special glow, compare that to a powerbook...

So what do you wish to compare it to? The 17-inch PowerBook?

$1,039 is your configuration.

Let's make it more comparable:

We'll add a comparable OS, Windows XP Pro. $1,134

As for the resolution, Dell doesn't offer what Apple has; they offer 1440x900 (which you have selected) and 1920x1200. Apple's is in between at 1680x1050.

Since the difference between the two display options Dell has is $100, we'll add $50 to have a (non-existing) middle option. $1,184

Dell also doesn't offer a 120 GB hard drive. They do, however, offer a 7200 RPM 100 GB drive, which Apple also offers. $1,512

The DVD burner is presumably comparable. $1,583

Dell doesn't offer Bluetooth 2.0+EDR, but they do at least offer Bluetooth. $1,614

Dell offers a somewhat comparable graphics card chip, but we need to bump up the RAM to 128 MB. $1,693

Dell doesn't have optical audio, so we'll need to add the Creative option. $1,793

I'm not sure about the battery, but I do believe that the 17-inch PowerBook has something closer to 80 WHr than 53. $1,872

At this point, all Dell options hardware-wise are exhausted. The Dell still lacks FireWire 800; having more USB 2.0 ports doesn't make up for that. It has an SD memory reader, but that's useless for people who have another memory card format. It has no sudden motion sensor, it doesn't, as mentioned, have Bluetooth 2.0+EDR, it has Fast Ethernet as opposed to Gigabit Ethernet, it doesn't have an illuminated keyboard, it doesn't, afaik, come with a VGA adapter.

Weight. We have significant changed the configuration, so it can be assumed that the normal weight is vastly exceeded. Dell claims 7.85 pounds, whereas Apple (whose laptop we have hardly changed) claims only 5.6.

Thickness. Dell's 1.6 inches can hardly compete with Apple's 1.1 inches.

Footprint. Apple has 13.7 x 9.5 inches. Dell claims 15.5 x 11.3. Still a significant difference.

Audio. I have added an external digital audio solution from Creative, but that's hardly as decent as having the whole thing built-in in combined in and out ports.

Software. Dell has some software options and some included software as well, but it looks nowhere near as compelling as what the PowerBook comes with.

So what do we end up with?

We end up with a Dell offering that doesn't compare. Even when we change several components to fit, adding $833 of value, it doesn't entirely compare. There's still some luxury features the Dell just doesn't have, from the backlit keyboard to the sudden motion sensor. There's still some hardware the Dell doesn't offer, from FireWire 800 to Bluetooth 2.0+EDR.

To add all that would at least cost another $300. So let's assume a value of $2,172. Compared to the $2,499 of the PowerBook, what's still lacking is a smaller total form factor -- 34.6% smaller footprint and 45.5% less thickness -- and less weight: at least 40.18% difference, not to mention the accessories you'd need to add.

I haven't even taken into account the battery life, since we cannot compare it.

And let me just quickly note the superior design, not just in terms of looks. The construction is much smarter; lots of little things like the magnetic lid.

At this point, can you still really say that the Dell is significantly cheaper than the Apple? No. However, I believe you have picked poorly. You should go with a laptop that is very similar to an Apple offering, *then* add components to make the two as comparable as possible. This Dell offering clearly wasn't designed to be light, small and full-featured to begin with.

Quote:

I never said it was. I used it as an example of what Apple could do if it wanted to.

But they don't. The Mac mini is an entry-level offering hoping to lure customers to eventually upgrade to the higher-priced Apple offerings.

A low-end laptop would be no different. The iBook, for instance, is significantly crippled by not allowing spanning (without a hack).

Quote:

I never said it did, but if you look at the pricing for laptops, they've been coming down slightly (ie: 17" PB has crept down)

Sure, but that happens all the time. Even way before the Mac mini, the 17-inch PB's price went down. Didn't it originally start at $3,999, even?
  • Reply 12 of 54
    You added useless shit to the Dell laptop and asumed that because Dell doesn't offer 120GB hard drives, you can add a $327 100GB 720rpm hard drive to the Dell, yet not add it to the PowerBook.

That's cheating at its best. Plus, adding XP Pro is totally senseless, because about the only difference from Home to Pro is the addition of a Backup program in Pro. Which OS X doesn't include either. So, why not subtract $327 + $95 and then get the actual price of the Dell.

Weight and other cosmetic factors should not matter. That's called marketing.
  • Reply 13 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

You added useless shit to the Dell laptop

Not at all. I added what the PowerBook already had, in order to make them comparable, especially because Apple hardly has any BTO options, i.e. I couldn't have removed those feaures on Apple's side/site (hah).

Quote:

and asumed that because Dell doesn't offer 120GB hard drives, you can add a $327 100GB 720rpm hard drive to the Dell, yet not add it to the PowerBook.

I did add it to the PowerBook. The price didn't change.

Quote:

Plus, adding XP Pro is totally senseless, because about the only difference from Home to Pro is the addition of a Backup program in Pro.

Bullshit. Pro is a vastly different system. Home doesn't even have ACLs, domain access or other important network features.

Quote:

Which OS X doesn't include either.

Disk Utility offers various backup functions. Very limited, but it's there.

Quote:

Weight and other cosmetic factors should not matter.

Tell that the person at the airport ticketing.

Weight very, very much matters on a laptop.
  • Reply 14 of 54
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    "You added useless shit to the Dell laptop...Weight and other cosmetic factors should not matter."

The sound you hear is your credibility dropping through the floor. Thanks for playing.
  • Reply 15 of 54
    ptrashptrash Posts: 296member
    Can't believe Apple doesn't charge extra for the 7200RPM drive. I think it's the first time I ever noticed an item in their options list that didn't cost more. What, did they suddenly get religion?

You added useless shit to the Dell laptop and asumed that because Dell doesn't offer 120GB hard drives, you can add a $327 100GB 720rpm hard drive to the Dell, yet not add it to the PowerBook.

• Reply 16 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by RageX

Easy access to internal components such as hard drive. Should be user replaceable.

That would really be nice !!! (but somehow unlikely)

Probably among the best on that are the high-end Dell Latitude models !!!
  • Reply 17 of 54
    Quote:

Did you just pick 10 random things that sound cool, or did you actually think about what makes sense? Because this doesn't.

Actually I think it makes a LOT more sense that what you say, which only seems the usual "I am an Apple fan and they can do nothing wrong" ...

Quote:

(01) PLACE TWO MOUSE BUTTONS)

One button with two sensors, Ã* la Mighty Mouse, might happen. What you suggest probably and hopefully won't.

I don't care how it is done, I want two mouse buttons on my notebooks - only morons think that it is cool and desirable to carry an external mouse with a notebook!!!

Quote:

(02) the 12'' is normally intended to be ultra-light)

Apple is (hopefully) not going for the subnotebook market, where overpriced and underequipped come together.

Well, if I would be really sarcastic I would start by saying that "overpriced and underequipped" are already there in Apple 12'' PowerBooks

The real point is that anybody that carries one notebook after him each day would rather carry a Dell X1 which is more than twice lighter!

Quote:

(03) thin, light, cool and with long battery ...)

A given, since Apple has been doing this for a while.

Generally (for people that really know what they are speaking of) it might not be so simple - it might have been simple with an underpowered G4 with a flimsy 512k L2 but it will NOT be simple with a CPU that has 8x more transisitors and runs at almost twice the frequency ... not to mention that too often Apple would go for performance rather than low heat or long battery ...

Quote:

(04) - highly Windows compatible)

A given, since Schiller already said they won't prevent Windows from running. They just won't support it, for obvious reasons.

NOT so much of "a given" - and also not so simple either ... also see below ...

Quote:

(05) - keyboard)

A given, since the PowerBook keyboard is already pure excellence. Hopefully, the illumination will extend to the low-end model as well (then again, AppleInsider somewhat understandably predicts that one will be dropped).

Again, NOT so obvious - and also not so simple either, for instance there are at least 2 special keys that most Windows users are now used to ... and which are NOT on the Apple keyboard I also think that if the X1 has separate PgUp/PgDn keys probably Apple could also add them

Quote:

(06) for wireless go a/b/g/n)

By far the most moronic remark from your post - the wireless part is a SEPARATE CARD (apparently based on Broadcom chip) that can be changed even on existing Apple notebooks ... Broadcom already had for a very long time an a/b/g model that was offered by all serious x86 notebook manufacturers (if not by default it was something like a 30$ option).

Quote:

(07) older stuff)

Um. Serial and parallel? Infra-red? Wtf? There's hardly even any hardware for Mac OS X that works with that. (Don't point out the Apple Remote or I'll have to shoot you. )

And of course Bluetooth will be there. All Apple laptops currently have Bluetooth 2.0+EDR. Why would they drop that.

CardBus (PCMCIA) won't make it to the smallest Apple laptops. There just isn't any need. Bigger ones already have it and always have, and I see no reason for that to change.

Again wrong - some people - maybe not all, maybe not most, but certainly a lot of people - on x86 machines might still want some of that stuff!!! And yes, your second most moronic remark is about PCMCIA - "there is no need for it but the 15'' and 17'' G4 models have it" - if Dell could place one on the X300 which is HALF of the 12'' PB probably Apple could do it too !!! (and yes, there IS need for that, if you could not figure that youself by now I can only say "GPS" and "cellular/WiMAX" to you )

Quote:

(08 ) soldered RAM)

The bigger ones already have no soldered memory and two slots. The smaller ones have one slot and soldered memory to, um, duh? save space, which you keep suggesting. A change to 1 GB default I don't see happening just yet; they just transitioned to half that this year. In late 2006 maybe.

Well, the 12'' PB has only 256 MB (soldered) while the latest 12'' iBook has 512 (soldered), so while 256 MB might seem like a good option to screw customers into buying the very expensive Apple extra RAM not many people will be happy with that!!!

Quote:

(09) build it TOUGH)

Apple laptops aren't designed for military missions in the Middle East.

Well, nobody said bulletproof, but I can only laugh at the entire industry of "Apple notebook screen protectors" !!!

Quote:

(10) pricing)

Maybe for morons that want something to "stand out" - but NOT for 98% of the normal people that (so far) keep voting with their wallet against Apple !!!
  • Reply 18 of 54
    Quote:

Actually I think it makes a LOT more sense that what you say, which only seems the usual "I am an Apple fan and they can do nothing wrong" ...

Ah yeah, sure. Just because I understand the product line-up better than you appear to, I'm not an apologetic or zealot. DISCLAIMER, however: I do invest into Apple stock.

Quote:

I don't care how it is done, I want two mouse buttons on my notebooks - only morons think that it is cool and desirable to carry an external mouse with a notebook!

Well, I've been using an iBook for three and a half years now and frankly, while I did have a USB mouse next to it, the only time I truly needed it was when using Remote Desktop Connection to a Windows server (I'm a network admin). For Mac OS X itself, I never really needed it. They keyboard + trackpad arrangement is fine the way it is, although I certainly would enjoy the scrolling trackpad enhancement of this year.

Quote:

Well, if I would be really sarcastic I would start by saying that "overpriced and underequipped" are already there in Apple 12'' PowerBooks

Yes, the 12-inch PowerBook is currently lame. I think AppleInsider is right in that it will be dropped. That, or it will be replaced by a 13.3-inch widescreen model. The 12-inch PowerBook doesn't really compare to the other PowerBooks; it's more of a "premium iBook" at this point.

Quote:

The real point is that anybody that carries one notebook after him each day would rather carry a Dell X1 which is more than twice lighter!

I've been carrying my 12-inch iBook a lot, and frankly, weight wasn't an issue. YMMV, of course.

Quote:

not to mention that too often Apple would go for performance rather than low heat or long battery ...

On their laptop line-up? Hardly.

Quote:

I also think that if the X1 has separate PgUp/PgDn keys probably Apple could also add them

fn+up/down works really well. Really, it does. Sure, you need to get used to it, but it's hardly inconvenient. I far, far prefer the current Apple laptop keyboard layout to the extreme and random clutter that I'm used to from other brands.

Quote:

By far the most moronic remark from your post - the wireless part is a SEPARATE CARD (apparently based on Broadcom chip) that can be changed even on existing Apple notebooks

Yes, it is. It's a miniPCI card. Apple is still responsible for its drivers, however.

Quote:

... Broadcom already had for a very long time an a/b/g model that was offered by all serious x86 notebook manufacturers (if not by default it was something like a 30$ option).

I have already explained why I feel there is no need for a. Especially with n coming up, a has no future.

Quote:

Again wrong - some people - maybe not all, maybe not most, but certainly a lot of people - on x86 machines might still want some of that stuff!

So they, uh... BUY THAT STUFF! Seriously, Apple isn't the only vendor. If you don't like that Apple doesn't give you X, then don't buy Apple.

Quote:

if Dell could place one on the X300 which is HALF of the 12'' PB probably Apple could do it too

Yes, they could. No, they won't. It was a conscious design choice not to litter the smaller Apple laptops (PowerBook 12, iBook 14 and 12) with such things.

Quote:

(and yes, there IS need for that, if you could not figure that youself by now I can only say "GPS" and "cellular/WiMAX" to you )

Yes, I can feel it... in the middle of Africa with my $2,000 well-equipped PowerBook... OMG, there's a monkey. AHHH! Why didn't I bring a GPS PCMCIA card because if I had, people could track me down with 10 meter precision if it wasn't for the fact that the US shut down GPS at this part of the world because they happen to be at war.

Quote:

Well, the 12'' PB has only 256 MB (soldered) while the latest 12'' iBook has 512 (soldered),

Another reason the 12-inch PowerBook is overdue for revision, yes.

Quote:

Well, nobody said bulletproof, but I can only laugh at the entire industry of "Apple notebook screen protectors" !

Why? What's wrong with that. By the way, I've never had problems with my iBook's durability. Never. And I'm not exactly one to treat it lightly.

Quote:

NOT for 98% of the normal people that (so far) keep voting with their wallet against Apple!

Has it occurred to you that, no matter what Apple does, those "normal people" (gee, thanks, I feel so above-normal now) will NEVER buy Apple, because they HATE the brand?
  • Reply 19 of 54
    Quote:

Has it occurred to you that, no matter what Apple does, those "normal people" (gee, thanks, I feel so above-normal now) will NEVER buy Apple, because they HATE the brand?

I don't think all of them do - most of them simply don't have all the the money for "the entire experience" ...
  • Reply 20 of 54
    Quote:

I don't think all of them do - most of them simply don't have all the the money for "the entire experience"

Well, those people still won't have it even if Apple were to change all the stuff you're suggesting.