Mighty Mouse faulty?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Had the new imac for about two weeks now and not realised that the mouse isnt working properly I dont think.I can scroll up on websites using the scroll bar but is the little button in middle supposed to scroll you across websites as well?

Also in iphoto I can get it to scroll across the libary of photos when they are all lined up horizontally across the top of screen in the preview library but are you supposed to be able to pan around the photos when you have selected one photo?

I have selected the panning in the system preferences so it looks like the mouse is probably going back.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Hmm, iPhoto and most web browsers default to fitting the screen to the width so you can't scroll horizontally - there's nothing to scroll to. If it scrolls horizontally across the top in preview mode in iPhoto, it seems like it's not a hardware problem with the mouse, right?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    That's not a hardware problem. Your mouse sounds just fine.

It's more likely that there is just no functionality programmed for the kind of "panning" you describe with iPhoto. You normally have to click and drag to move around an image.

As for scrolling "across" websites, do you mean just scrolling horizontally when the website is too wide for the window you're in? Easy to test that - grab the lower right corner of your window (any window - doesn't even have to be in a web browser, it can be a desktop/Finder window) and make the window really narrow. A scroll bar should appear across the bottom. Then roll side to side and see if the scroll bar moves.

If you mean actually scrolling between websites, as in simulating the Back and Forward buttons, that depends on your browser. Mozilla Firefox will do that (as I discovered to my annoyance the first time I paired up a Mighty Mouse with it).

If neither of those solutions work, it could just be that stuff's gotten stuck in the mouse (though as BRussell just pointed out, that's obviously not the case since you can scroll horizontally in iPhoto). Nonetheless, I had a problem for a while where I could only scroll up but not down with my Mighty Mouse. Solved by unplugging, flipping the mouse over and rolling the ball very vigorously back and forth for a while to get rid of the gunk.

Hope that helps!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shalmaneser

That's not a hardware problem. Your mouse sounds just fine.

It's more likely that there is just no functionality programmed for the kind of "panning" you describe with iPhoto. You normally have to click and drag to move around an image.

As for scrolling "across" websites, do you mean just scrolling horizontally when the website is too wide for the window you're in? Easy to test that - grab the lower right corner of your window (any window - doesn't even have to be in a web browser, it can be a desktop/Finder window) and make the window really narrow. A scroll bar should appear across the bottom. Then roll side to side and see if the scroll bar moves.

If you mean actually scrolling between websites, as in simulating the Back and Forward buttons, that depends on your browser. Mozilla Firefox will do that (as I discovered to my annoyance the first time I paired up a Mighty Mouse with it).

If neither of those solutions work, it could just be that stuff's gotten stuck in the mouse (though as BRussell just pointed out, that's obviously not the case since you can scroll horizontally in iPhoto). Nonetheless, I had a problem for a while where I could only scroll up but not down with my Mighty Mouse. Solved by unplugging, flipping the mouse over and rolling the ball very vigorously back and forth for a while to get rid of the gunk.

Hope that helps!

The above sounds right to me. The same problem my wife had. She was on screens that didn't have horizontal scroll bars and the mouse wasn't working. *cough* honey, pay attention. *cough*