New iPod. No joy. USB 2.0 on an old TiBook? Help.

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
EDIT and UPDATE.

OK. A little more research reveals that If you want to do use a new iPod with your TiBook, buy a Belkin PCMCIA card. It's the only one that works, apparently.

Problem solved. As far as I can tell there's not really any other surefire solution.

Oh, they'd don't sell it in the Apple Store in Regent Street in London, so you'll have to go down the TCR if you want to track one day.

Apple really pissed me off.

Today I bought a 60gb video iPod in black.

I have a TiBook without USB 2.0.

You can see where this is going.

As we all know, Apple have decided, since most iPod users have PCs, that it's to be USB 2.0 and not firewire, damn and curse them, but hey.

I bought a card, installed the driver, slotted it into the side and... nothing.

The pod shows up on the USB tree but it won't mount and it won't show up in iTunes. Unless I plug into ye olde USB port and spend three weeks updating.

It's a standard card for the PCI slot, made by a company called Newlink.

Can't use my iPod properly. Help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Can you see the drive from within Disk Utility? If so, try forcing a mount from within Disk Utility. That happens to me occasionally (but not often), and this fixes it.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by drumsticks

Can you see the drive from within Disk Utility? If so, try forcing a mount from within Disk Utility. That happens to me occasionally (but not often), and this fixes it.

Nope. Can't see if from Disk Utility.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Can you use a firewire cable from an older style iPod?

I don't like clogging all my USB ports on my Powerbook with cables, so I like to use the firewire cable with my 4g.

I'm considering the new 5G iPod, and if I can, use the firewire cable from my old one.

Anybody try this yet?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Not gonna work. There is no firewire chipset in the iPod.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    get a pc-card usb2 controller. should cost you $20 online.

Why would you spend money on an iPod that's worth more than your laptop? Why not save the money and get a new computer?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

That's what he said he did...
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

Why would you spend money on an iPod that's worth more than your laptop? Why not save the money and get a new computer?

A new iPod is £300.

A new PowerBook is £1000.