Creative introduces iPod video knockoff

Comments

• Reply 21 of 99
    ok, thiought id line up the specs of the Zen Vision M and the 30gb iPod side by side.

1. Capacity

Zen: 30gb

iPod: 30gb

2. Physical Size

Zen: 104 x 62 x 18.6 mm

iPod: 104 x 61 x 11 mm

3. Weight

Zen: 163g

iPod: 136g

4. Screen

Zen: 2.5" LCD, 320 x 240

iPod: 2.5" LCD, 320 x 240

5. Battery Life

Zen: up to 14 hours (MP3, 128kbps, 4mins/song)

up to 8 hours (WMA, 64kbps, 4mins/song)

up to 14 hours (FM radio)

up to 4 hours (Video, MPEG 4, 500kbps)

iPod: up to 14 hours (AAC, 128kbps, 4mins/song)

up to 2 hours (Video, h.264 750kbps with 128kbps audio)

6. Supported audio formats:

Zen: MP3, WMA, WAV

iPod: AAC, MP3, AIFF, WAV, Apple Lossless

7. Supported Video Formats:

Zen: DivX? 4 & 5, XviD5, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG4-SP, WMV9, Motion-JPEG (May not play all Divx 4 & 5 files)

iPod: H.264, MPEG4

8. Additional Features

Zen: FM Radio, Built in microphone, contacts, calendar

iPod: contacts, calendar, world clock, screen lock, games

ok, think i got everything, anything else let us know!!

stu
  • Reply 22 of 99
    For anyone who is interested, the "video" iPod is the first iPod that lets you record CD quality audio, without hacking it (e.g. installing Linux on it). You do need a special adapter to plug in a microphone, though. I'd be interested to hear from anyone using this feature.

The reason I mention it is that previous iPod's only let you record lower quality audio. That's an area I believe Creative had been ahead: I think they've always let you record CD quality audio.
  • Reply 23 of 99
    I can appreciate the desire of some of those features, but what's the appeal of tivo2go?

I mean, what's left on tv that's worth tivo-ing?

I'll stick with Apple.\
  • Reply 24 of 99
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Well creative must be scared silly... I mean really DIFFERENTIATE your industrial design guys.

Competition is a GOOD thing. Innovation is also BETTER thing.

NOTE TO THE DIRECTORS OF "CREATIVE" (sic)":

WANT THE MARKET STOP TELLING US HOW BAD APPLE IS AND SHOW US HOW COOL YOU COULD BE.

Incremental add-ons are NOT INNOVATION.

Also show us some creativity in your ads at least.

It was really sad how the likes of IBM started copying Apple's Ads. the art directiors Chiet-Day should be groaning right now...
  • Reply 25 of 99
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

This is true, however Toyota implemented a process of continuous improvement and flow-based manufacturing, etc. that enabled them to climb to where they are now. If Creative has the same, then I'd be a bit more worried. Funny thing is, Apple kind of has this already. They are continually improving and tweaking their products even in small hardly noticeable ways.

so what's your point?
  • Reply 26 of 99
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    This is the first consumer product from Creative that actually seems reasonably well-designed and has a compelling feature list. Not that I think they'll have much more success than they've had in the past, but it does show that they know how to fairly effectively "embrace and extend" Apple's designs now. They'll probably sell a decent number to the "I went to the store to buy an iPod but they were sold out so I got you this" shoppers over this holiday season, though.

Someday maybe they'll even have an original idea.
  • Reply 27 of 99
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

This is true, however Toyota implemented a process of continuous improvement and flow-based manufacturing, etc. that enabled them to climb to where they are now.

Same with Datsun and other Japanese auto manufacturers. I remember watching a TV show a couple years ago about the history of cars that included some comical footage from when Japanese cars were first intro'd in the US. Who's laughing at 'em now?

PS: My wife love the 1996 Camry we just bought a few weeks ago.
  • Reply 28 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by CREB

I've been around long enough to remember how people laughed and poked fun at Toyota too when they first came to the United States. I remember it well as people said they were junk, funny looking, too small, etc. Who's laughing now? If I recall Apple was in the doldrums for a while in the past. I love Apple, but the marketplace is a vicious animal, leaving no hostages.

The difference being that the iPod is an extremely good product whereas US cars were terrible and mostly still are terrible compared to Japanese and European cars. Apple isn't the US car industry.

I don't think your analogy holds water.
  • Reply 29 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by Celco

so what's your point?

My point was that just because someone has started out making crappy products doesn't mean that they will automatically evolve into great, world-beating products a la Toyota, unless they have a process in place to do so.
  • Reply 30 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by stustanley

6. Supported audio formats:

Zen: MP3, WMA, WAV

iPod: AAC, MP3, AIFF, WAV, Apple Lossless

iTunes will of course transcode unprotected WMA files so really it's only songs bought with protected WMA from Napster, Yahoo etc that you can't use. Those services don't run at all on the Mac anyway so no loss to Mac users.

Quote:

Originally posted by stustanley

7. Supported Video Formats:

Zen: DivX? 4 & 5, XviD5, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG4-SP, WMV9, Motion-JPEG (May not play all Divx 4 & 5 files)

iPod: H.264, MPEG4

On engadget, someone with a Zen Vision said that the DivX support doesn't include AC3 audio which rules out about 60% of the illegal video content that people use DivX for from the usual bit torrent sites. Also, I can't see the point of carrying around massive full resolution videos to view on a 320x240 screen so you may as well transcode them down to that size anyway and use H.264 to save space.

Does the Zen support podcasts? No.

Does it have decent music management software comparable with iTunes? No.

Also, Tivo announced it would support the iPod a few days ago, raising the hackles of NBC in the process. So Tivo support is a non-issue.
  • Reply 31 of 99
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign ]The difference being that the iPod is an extremely good product whereas US cars were terrible and mostly still are terrible compared to Japanese and European cars. Apple isn't the US car industry.

The analogy is one of business, that both are clearly within. Do not count out another manufacturer because of their current quality control or design aspects are not equivalent as that ebbs and flows in any industry. I have friends that are exceeding content with their Creative products and although they like the iPod they still like their Creative player better. Since Apple is currently the stud duck in the pond, and has certainly done the most to bring music content delivery to the forefront, does not guarantee they remain the stud duck; history proves this quite well. When it is no longer a fad and becomes commonplace, price-point and features will be the key reason of purchasing an MP3/digital content player for the majority (aka masses) of buyers.
  • Reply 32 of 99
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

The difference being that the iPod is an extremely good product whereas US cars were terrible and mostly still are terrible compared to Japanese and European cars. Apple isn't the US car industry.

I don't think it does either. It's a faulty comparison. No one has questioned the quality of the Creative product. The question is about their blatant rip off and a delibrate attempt to confuse consumers and capitalize on apple's R+D budget. Then they have the balls to threaten to sue Apple. Of course, the media goes into "OMG Apple is getting sued" mode. Never mind that Apple could buy and sell Creative about 20 times over.
  • Reply 33 of 99
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Quote:

Does the Zen support podcasts? No.

What on earth are you talking about? Any media player that supports MP3s supports podcasts. Podcasts are not an iPod centric technology.
  • Reply 34 of 99
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by ajmas

[B]What on earth are you talking about? Any media player that supports MP3s supports podcasts. Podcasts are not an iPod centric technology.

You'd have to go and download each episode separately or with a separated application as WMP does not do that.
  • Reply 35 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by ajmas

What on earth are you talking about? Any media player that supports MP3s supports podcasts. Podcasts are not an iPod centric technology.

Some podcasts are in AAC format with chapters, artwork, URLs and time coded changes that appear on your screen.

That's leaving aside the fact the Zen doesn't have any method of differentiating podcasts from normal mp3s or any software for downloading and organising them on your PC.

Or that it doesn't support AAC files anyway which is totally bizarre. You'd think by now that if they wanted to capture the iPod's market or iTunes users they'd support the format people are encoding in.
  • Reply 36 of 99
    Incredible - first they criticize apple for alleged patent infringement, and then they go and piss all oer that staement by introducing an Ipod knock off!
  • Reply 37 of 99
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    It is interesting to see the Apple zealots...Apple now and forever! I was once there (I've owned a Mac since 1984), but the realities of the marketplace supersede all. People act if Jobs has never made a condescending statement about another competitor or product.

Here's my prediction: Apple will lose the vast market-share of the digital content delivery as others infiltrate and reduce the costs. Internationally, Apple is up against players who are not that interested in playing by the game rules and hence have an advantage. For some reason people think music is only made in America. There is unequivocally no question that Apple's approach to design, and product execution is among the finest in the world and hence I support them through purchasing many of their products, but there is a very small percentage of the world populace who thinks this way. Most buyers are enamored with the iPod and what it has come to mean, but its meaning can be enjoyed though other brands as well. The iPod is very popular now, but...
  • Reply 38 of 99
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    I actually think that it seems to try to one-better the iPod. Now, if only they had a content infrastructure.
  • Reply 39 of 99
    Quote:

It is interesting to see the Apple zealots...Apple now and forever! I was once there (I've owned a Mac since 1984), but the realities of the marketplace supersede all. People act if Jobs has never made a condescending statement about another competitor or product.

Here's my prediction: Apple will lose the vast market-share of the digital content delivery as others infiltrate and reduce the costs. Internationally, Apple is up against players who are not that interested in playing by the game rules and hence have an advantage. For some reason people think music is only made in America. There is unequivocally no question that Apple's approach to design, and product execution is among the finest in the world and hence I support them through purchasing many of their products, but there is a very small percentage of the world populace who thinks this way. Most buyers are enamored with the iPod and what it has come to mean, but its meaning can be enjoyed though other brands as well. The iPod is very popular now, but...

Have a browse through iTMS Japan and think again. There's a lot of stuff anime fans would cry for but can't buy in the US (and of course not in Britain!)

And we don't act like Steve Jobs is an Angel ... he and his company are more interesting than that ... pretentious, self-referential, anti-competitive and downright nasty ... sometimes, as well as their dependable creativity and occasional genius.

You and others are right that the iPod won't be THE player in 10, 5 or maybe even 2 years time. And Apple shouldn't bet the farm on it. But it has been a wonderful leading edge to their campaign, bringing industrial design to the pockets of the masses, a music delivery system integrated in a way that Seems Right and yet poor Windows users rarely get to see. It's made the company a boatload of cash and even more in public awareness. But Macs are where it's at ... and doing to every form of media what iPod and iTunes has done to music! Yes, let's try to take over the (media content distibution) world! On the desktop, in the living room and in your pocket.

It's better than System 7, Beige boxes and endless talk of the whole show shutting down next week!
  • Reply 40 of 99
    Quote:

You know...we're going on 5 years with these predications. Apple's share just keeps increasing.