Firewire 800 for iPod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Does anyone have any experience with this firewire 800 cable for the iPod. I know theoretically firewire 800 is substantially faster than usb 2.0 but I wasn't sure if iTunes and the iPod would actually be able to take advantage of it.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/pro...k800/index.php

Pretty good price too.

Sorry about the double post, I have no idea how that happened.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Even though it is a 800 plug, I think the chip in a iPod is still 400. USB2 would technically be faster since you would not get 800 speeds.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    The new iPods don't even support FW400, i don't see them supporting 800 anytime soon.

Also, with regard to speed, i don't think the HDDs in iPods can even max out the bandwidth of FW400, let alone 800. So there most likely would be little if any increase in transfer speeds (compared to FW400).
  • Reply 3 of 7
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Yeah, you're only going to get a maximum of Firewire 400 speeds on 4G iPods and below. On nanos and video iPods you will only be able to charge the iPod, as the newer models don't support Firewire at all.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    thanks, i guess maybe that's just in case you have all your other ports taken.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    It doesn;t really matter anyway. The harddrive is not even close to fast enough to match the speed of the cables used
  • Reply 6 of 7
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by brclark82

thanks, i guess maybe that's just in case you have all your other ports taken.

Yes. They state so themselves.

Quote:

There is no difference in transfer speed. Dock800 is designed to free up your FireWire 400 ports for improved productivity and flexibility.

• Reply 7 of 7
    Ahh, not sure how I missed that. Thanks