New iMac problems/questions

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
To start with I love my new iMac, even though I may have to send it in for some repair work. I was wondering if anyone else has had simular problems or even if it is just the way the machine is built (I don`t hav another one to compare mine too).

1st whenever i plug in my speakers I get this message:

"Speaker Connection - The device plugged into the Apple speaker mini-jack cannot be recognized. Remove the plug from the jack. Then plug it back in and make sure it is fully inserted."

2nd my power cable when plugged into the back of the iMac is so loose that if anything touches the cable at all the iMac looses power. The cable doesn`t fall out, I just hae to wiggle it and then I can start the iMac back up. - I have never seen an electrical device with such a loose hold on the power cable.

3rd I get some white lines at the top of movies when playing them using the Super drive. This seems to only happen in OSX, movies seem to play ok in OS9.2

I am also curious as to the noise level of the hard drive and fans in other iMacs. I read that they where very quiet, and in the store, though there were many people around the iMac seemed quiet. Mine - maybe totally normal - has a high pitched sound, not so uncommon to most computers, but mine doesn@t seem very quiet at all.

Thanks for any help/info.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    (1) What kind of speakers are you using?

(2) The loose power cable doesn't sound too good. I would try and return it, or at least get it looked at. A bad power supply can cause a LOT of problems down the road.

(3) What version of DVD player are you using? There was an update about a month ago, although I don't know if this will fix the problem.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    [quote]Originally posted by ptjapan:

<strong>

2nd my power cable when plugged into the back of the iMac is so loose that if anything touches the cable at all the iMac looses power. The cable doesn`t fall out, I just hae to wiggle it and then I can start the iMac back up. - I have never seen an electrical device with such a loose hold on the power cable.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

i just got my imac last week and several things happened. the power thing freaked me out too. make sure you push the power plug really hard into the back until it looks almost flush with the base. it worked for me. good luck man.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    sithsith Posts: 25member
    Are you plugging non-Pro Speakers into the jack that's not the headphone plug (the second from the left if you're looking at the back of the case)? I believe that plug is *only* for the pro speakers, as they take 10watts in. You should try your speakers in the headphone jack.

For the power plug, I think the previous post is right. When I first hooked mine up, I didn't have it in all the way and it shut off once while I was plugging in a firewire cable. Then I realized that it goes in quite a bit further than I had it.

Dunno about the dvd issue.