Sources: Intel developing next-generation Power Mac for Apple

Comments

• Reply 201 of 347
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

That's amusing. I understand quite well. You should learn something about business before you say that.

Actually I am only about 4 years younger than you and have been a consultant at board level to several US based multinationals. As I understand it you were a photographer. Fuck off.
  • Reply 202 of 347
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

mmmmm "right"?? But paying ~ $100 for a text editor is?

Yah I didn't mean it was going to be problem... I just found it funny is all.

You pay for what you need. You can get freeware as well.
  • Reply 203 of 347
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

I agree that at this point MS pulling Office for Mac would be bad.

Office is just too ubiquitous. I know a couple people who use Mac's and don't have Word and cannot open Word documents. Trust me it sucks for them.

I've got Word but I still email people back asking them to send me it in something other than Word format. Usually it results in a much smaller PDF file and the next time they don't send me huge files either. It's my bit of social engineering. Less viruses, smaller mail and no closed file formats.
  • Reply 204 of 347
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

Whats wrong with open office and pages??? I use open office exclusively *shrugs*

EDIT: Forgot to mention they have a native version of open office for those of you who didn't know. Its still in development stages but I haven't had problems... yet. Download Open Office There is always the version that runs in x11 that works well. But this is native... yay.

Anyways... to get this thread back on topic. This is great news and I can't wait for the desktops to come out. But I don't know if I will ever go to one again... this powerbook has been way too useful to go back to desktop.

well... intel may have built motherboards with firewire 400... but I doubt 800... =)

openoffice.org 2.0+ on windoze is awesome. neooffice is still pretty 'orrible....
  • Reply 205 of 347
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

I've got Word but I still email people back asking them to send me it in something other than Word format. Usually it results in a much smaller PDF file and the next time they don't send me huge files either. It's my bit of social engineering. Less viruses, smaller mail and no closed file formats.

i'm suddenly getting some stupid rubbish "compile autoexec error" or something in Excel for Mac latest version

i've more or less written off office on windows, as i mentioned above openoffice.org 2.0+ does the job fine for what i need.
  • Reply 206 of 347
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

openoffice.org 2.0+ on windoze is awesome. neooffice is still pretty 'orrible....

I think that's the crux of it on the Mac. OpenOffice looks like a Windows application from the 90s and doesn't sit in well with the Mac. On Windows it just looks a little dated because MS Office is still quite dated looking. On Linux, they seem to think emulating Windows from the 90s *is* the height of fashion.

Apart from that, it's HUGE and slow in comparison to MS Office although it does crash less.
  • Reply 207 of 347
    I apologize if anyone has already posted this link, but here it is:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051230/tc_nm/intel_dc

Confirmation that Intel is making a new marketing push.
  • Reply 208 of 347
    Quote:

I think Apple is trying to trademark "Mactel".

As of yesterday USPTO said there are no existing ? and now I guess its up to Apple to get it ®?

EDIT - I've posted the USPTO pdf's on this into two other threads, apparently USPTO wants Apple to be more specific WRT "computer software" in the trademark application (somehow I missed it previously).

• Reply 209 of 347
    Apple Core Duo and Apple Core Solo?

Whew, now we're really coming close to the Apple Corps Quartet...
  • Reply 210 of 347
    Quote:

So, if MS stopped development, there might be little Apple could do.

Darwine, Dual-Booting, Virtualization are a few solutions to this possible problem.
  • Reply 211 of 347
    Quote:

So, you now speak for businesses who do use those very products on their Mac's?

I hate to agree with him, but my small company uses a self-created, half-baked solution based on Excel and Word.
  • Reply 212 of 347
    (excepted from Paul Otellini interview in BusinessWeek)

BusinessWeek Online: Tell me about the Apple (AAPL ) relationship. You struck the deal in June for them to use Intel chips, which was something of a coup. What does that mean for Intel?

Paul Otellini: At the end of the day, we live to sell chips. First and foremost, it's market-expanding for us. Secondly, as I said at the developers' forum, the thing that Apple really brings to the Intel family of customers is their innovation. They [have an] ability to not just mix hardware and software, which is unique, but also to drop software upgrades rather frequently to take advantage of hardware changes.

I think what [Apple CEO] Steve [Jobs] said at the forum is they've dropped five releases of the operating system in the last four years. That alone is very appealing. [When it comes to design], they are a front-runner -- people copy some of their design elements. I believe as they start taking advantage of some of our lower-power products...it will drive a trend toward smaller, cheaper, cooler.

Me (SpamSandwich): Sounds like Otellini doesn't mind sticking it to Microsoft now!
  • Reply 213 of 347
    (another excerpt)

BWO: Which technologies, platforms, most excite you personally?

Paul Otellini: I actually think Viiv is a world changer. Independent of the hardware as it evolves, it's DRM-agnostic, but it protects everything. It allows you to move things in a free fashion, but still maintain the desire of the content owners to get paid for what they do. It will change the business models of entertainment and theaters and Hollywood, and it will be for the benefit of consumers.

(back to me...)

Doesn't this indicate that Intel will be directly competing in Apple's new playground of digital video & entertainment products? Maybe next week the whole thing will make sense.... hmmm... Maybe Mactel is the name of the new spinoff company, not just a marketing gimmick...

...as in, "Would you like fries with that Mactel"?
  • Reply 214 of 347
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

(another excerpt)

BWO: Which technologies, platforms, most excite you personally?

Paul Otellini: I actually think Viiv is a world changer. Independent of the hardware as it evolves, it's DRM-agnostic, but it protects everything. It allows you to move things in a free fashion, but still maintain the desire of the content owners to get paid for what they do. It will change the business models of entertainment and theaters and Hollywood, and it will be for the benefit of consumers.

(back to me...)

Doesn't this indicate that Intel will be directly competing in Apple's new playground of digital video & entertainment products? Maybe next week the whole thing will make sense.... hmmm... Maybe Mactel is the name of the new spinoff company, not just a marketing gimmick...

...as in, "Would you like fries with that Mactel"?

The article is a worthy read. This sounds like it isn't "your father's Intel" anymore. Seems like it could be a great "partnership" for Apple. Let's hope Apple doesn't find a way to screw it up.
  • Reply 215 of 347
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

The article is a worthy read. This sounds like it isn't "your father's Intel" anymore. Seems like it could be a great "partnership" for Apple. Let's hope Apple doesn't find a way to screw it up.

I agree. Apple has a way of poisoning business relationships. I can't figure out if that's all Steve's fault, or what.
  • Reply 216 of 347
    Quote:

Doesn't this indicate that Intel will be directly competing in Apple's new playground of digital video & entertainment products?

No more than they already do by selling their chips and platforms to all other PC companies. It'll be up to the Apples, Dells, Tivos and HPs to do the direct competing.
  • Reply 217 of 347
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

I think that's the crux of it on the Mac. OpenOffice looks like a Windows application from the 90s and doesn't sit in well with the Mac. On Windows it just looks a little dated because MS Office is still quite dated looking. On Linux, they seem to think emulating Windows from the 90s *is* the height of fashion.

OT, but OO.o is meant to compete with/directly replace the business app, MS Office. Thus it looks and behaves like Office.

Linux UI's as a whole are very customizable, perhaps to a flaw, but look at art.gnome.org for a variety of themes which best Windows XP's fugliness.
  • Reply 218 of 347
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

[B]I hate to agree with him,

• Reply 219 of 347
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

OT, but OO.o is meant to compete with/directly replace the business app, MS Office. Thus it looks and behaves like Office.

Linux UI's as a whole are very customizable, perhaps to a flaw, but look at art.gnome.org for a variety of themes which best Windows XP's fugliness.

So compete with it, not become some lame copy of it. Apple didn't get where it is now by copying Windows.
  • Reply 220 of 347
    Quote:

I agree. Apple has a way of poisoning business relationships. I can't figure out if that's all Steve's fault, or what.

I think it's just because Apple demand more of a partner than your average Dell's, HP's and Microsofts. That's a good thing most of the time.