extending the iPod OS to third party applications

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
to ensure the survival of the iPod and convergence into new areas it might be necsary for apple to allow third party developers to build apps made for ipod. this would make the ipod harder to leave. there has been no wild inovation since the click wheel...and as pressure from the pattented creative gui....it would be necesary to reinvent it again and revolutionize everything again.

here is an opinion of what should be done.

learning from the past.....apps make the os, not the os itself....for expample mac os x is far superior than anything else that i have used before....but windows contains the business apps.

do you guys think that mac world will be only intel mac only....or will there be a new inovative ipod gui to fight of creative's lawyers.

here is an article i wrote.....

coments aer welcomed

techscurry.com

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    They haven't allowed third-party apps on the iPod from the beginning. Doubtful that will ever change.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Well, that would be nice if they did open it up a little.

If they did, I would try to make a cool game. It would probably suck, but I would try anyway. I made a nibbles (snake eats apples, tail grows longer) game for my graphic calculator that was actually pretty good compared to other nibbles games.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    It is actually kind of possible. You can control the screen contents from the Dock connector. You could write a software, put it on a special Dock connect-based "cartridge", "dongle", whatever you want to call it, and use it that way. It wouldn't install on the iPod, but it would be able to interact with the data on the iPod's drive/flash, and it could behave just like any other iPod application.