Will Safari be ported to Windows?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I was wondering after I had heard the rumor of their being some cross platform binaries developed by Apple, if Apple may port Safari to Windows. I wonder if Apple would? What would MS do? What could MS do to bring IE up do date? Currently IE is very non standards, and this appears to be showing itself more with every new technology for the web. I don't know much about the development of IE.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    IE 7 is to be released this year and will feature many improvements.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

IE 7 is to be released this year and will feature many improvements.

Do you know what some of those improvements will be?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I would expect Safari for Windows at some point. I'd bet some of it is there already powering iTunes. That said, I'd expect an announcement of this type at the Developer Convention and not MacWorld.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I would expect Safari for Windows at some point. I'd bet some of it is there already powering iTunes. That said, I'd expect an announcement of this type at the Developer Convention and not MacWorld.

Absolutely, good point and I was not saying that something like this would come up at MacWorld. Yes, you bring up a good reason for Apple to port Safari, for better control of iTunes content delivery, and perhaps other stuff as well.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brendon

Do you know what some of those improvements will be?

MS's IEBlog is a decent read.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I would expect Safari for Windows at some point. I'd bet some of it is there already powering iTunes.

The iTMS does not use HTML, nor does it in any way use WebKit/WebCore/JavaScriptCore code.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

The iTMS does not use HTML, nor does it in any way use WebKit/WebCore/JavaScriptCore code.

Right QT, correct?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brendon

Right QT, correct?

WebObjects.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    On the server end, yes.

The format is an iTMS-specific XML dialect akin XUL and XAML, describing an interface. It could be considered serialized Carbon in XML. Being XML-based, it has its similarities to HTML, but it is most certainly not related.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    I hope it doesn't