New Finder idea

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    You're only seeing one screenshot, a bit hard to judge a program on just that. Currently two developers are trying to build a better Finder and both projects (Pathfinder and FileRun) look exciting, I for one am going to give both a fair try. Please don't knock it until you've tried it.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

I think it's overcluttered and fugly. Way more information is presented than is needed, or IMHO, wanted. When was the last time you wanted to go to your Mac HD -> Users -> folder? Which of your documents is _not_ in your home folder? Which of your apps is _not_ in your Applications folder? The point of a UI is to abstract the info in a meaningful way. I say this as someone who is very comfortable on the command line. A UI should be the opposite of the command line.

Thank you, i love the finder as it is, despite some speed issues.

I love Simplicity. OSes, which offer too many decisions in their

UI are almost always frustrating, say Windows anyone.

I don't like the current implementation of Spotlight

in the Finder too. Because Finder/Spotlight distracts

your workflow more than it helps. Perhaps just me?
  • Reply 23 of 45
    Both PathFinder 4 and FileRun will allow you to swich features on and off, thus making the interface as simple or cluttered as you want. I love the elegance of the current Finder as well but I find it too simple at times, giving not as much feedback or information as I want, that's where PF4 and Filerun will come in.

(not that I use the Finder all that much anymore thanks to Launchbar /Quicksilver!)
  • Reply 24 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by macanoid?

Both PathFinder 4 and FileRun will allow you to swich features on and off, thus making the interface as simple or cluttered as you want. I love the elegance of the current Finder as well but I find it too simple at times, giving not as much feedback or information as I want, that's where PF4 and Filerun will come in.

(not that I use the Finder all that much anymore thanks to Launchbar /Quicksilver!)

Great...so PathFinder 4 and FileRun are definitely for you...but for 99.99% of people that don't care or know what a file system is or that the disk is 'read/write' or 'read-only'...having this info displayed 24/7 or even toggleable is overkill.

I know you (Macanoid) are not hoping the Finder to become a PF or FileRun clone, but to those that may be thinking it, think again.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Both PathFinder and FileRun (I'm really sick of CompoundNamesWithCapsInTheMiddleOfThem) make the mistake of having too many frames within frames, which makes them looked a lot more lcuttered than they have to be. As for the ancillary info about read/write access and other info, it can be OK to have small icons for this available or maybe even as a rollover, but not necessarily the default for the user.

What I'd rather like is a more heads-up style of inspector or dashboard (the Motion kind, not the widget kind), a kind of smarter contextual info panel in the window perhaps or floating. I think there's still just a lot of clicking and sifting through a lot of places to get the info you want about a file, what you don't want to see about a file, etc. The whole make-it-an0-option mantra is self defeating because it's a game of diminishing returns. That is, at point point there are so many options to go through and configure that it's too cumbersome to bother or figure out. Options are good to a point, but they become a burden to the user. I'd prefer a more dynamic display of this info that can be put out of the way and recalled easily, getting more info at a click and removing info just as easily. I would question the wisdom of a la carte optionsand instead think about grouping kinds of info together to reduce clicks and legwork from the user.

Even more importantly, there isn't a place to add or change this metadata within any of these Finder type apps. Wouldn't it be nice if all that metadata were presented as easily as the "fixed" file info, and were editable in place rather than in some dialog or sheet?

I think the tabs thing is not ideal, but there should be better/easier ways to handle bulk operations and multiple-path moves and copies, comparative looks at files, etc. I think a lot of people are looking for multiple files and wanting to do things with more than one file at a time that no file browser out there properly addresses right now.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    Another cool, but very useful (IMHO) Finder add-on has just been released:

MacGadget

A short sample movie of what it does here
  • Reply 27 of 45
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macanoid?

Another cool, but very useful (IMHO) Finder add-on has just been released:

MacGadget

A short sample movie of what it does here

Woohoo ... Vista style transparant windows ...
  • Reply 28 of 45
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    PathFinder sucked, FileRun looks almost exactly as I wanted PathFinder to. I'll be glad to try it once it's out.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Gon; why does it suck? Just saying it sucks isn't exactly doing it for me.

BuonRotto; Pathfinder can be customised so that it looks and works minimalistic, just like the "official" Finder. But, I think they should have made Pathfinder act minimalistic and make all the bells and whistles preference options, not vice-versa.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dacloo

Gon; why does it suck? Just saying it sucks isn't exactly doing it for me.

For starters, it replaced my desktop with its own, including a trashcan, and it seemed to randomly revert back to those settings after I had changed them from the preferences.

Apart from that, it was just too clunky, bloated and big, and had most of the bad sides of Finder. I want a visible, drag-and-droppable, springloaded path, and then I want to see lots of files and data per square centimeter. Both Path Finder and the Finder waste space like there's no tomorrow.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    Let's hope PathFinder 4, which is to be released any-day-now? will address the things you didn't like about it
  • Reply 32 of 45
    I am new to mac so this feature probably exists and I just don't know it. When I find a file for instance via Spotlight, I want to be able to go back into the folder or directory that contains it. On Windows there is a button with a picture of a folder and an Up arrow. I wish there was a button like that in the Finder.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    Quote:

Originally posted by john.outwater

When I find a file for instance via Spotlight, I want to be able to go back into the folder or directory that contains it.

Command-R or Right-click-->Reveal in Finder
  • Reply 34 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Endymion

Command-R or Right-click-->Reveal in Finder

Yeah, I poorly explained my problem. After I reveal it, I can't figure out how to go to the folder containing it. The back button doesn't do it and there is no "Up" button.
  • Reply 35 of 45
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Yeah, I poorly explained my problem. After I reveal it, I can't figure out how to go to the folder containing it. The back button doesn't do it and there is no "Up" button.

On the top bar in the Finder, there should be the name of the folder containing that file (and if no folder contains it, then the directory containing that file) - Command-Click on it to get a drop down list of the path. Click on the one you want to go to.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    Quote:

if i do a search from a finder window, the results show up, if I click once on any of the results- the path is listed at the bottom of the finder window(all the folders in the path) I can click on any of those folders to go to them.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

well, the trash can is the fail-safe for that...ooops! I needed that, Oh, OK just restore from trash.

And for the record, other OSs warn you the first time you use [del] that "the item(s) will be moved to trash/recycle bin" and have a "dont warn me again" check box to disable the warning if you wish.

That doesn't work so well when you're getting files off networked windows drives. It auto-deletes without moving to the trash.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

I think it's overcluttered and fugly. Way more information is presented than is needed, or IMHO, wanted. When was the last time you wanted to go to your Mac HD -> Users -> folder? Which of your documents is _not_ in your home folder? Which of your apps is _not_ in your Applications folder? The point of a UI is to abstract the info in a meaningful way. I say this as someone who is very comfortable on the command line. A UI should be the opposite of the command line.

I agree. The Inspector Panel needs tabs within it starting with basic information to an advanced panel view to dig deep into information for those that need it.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

On the top bar in the Finder, there should be the name of the folder containing that file (and if no folder contains it, then the directory containing that file) - Command-Click on it to get a drop down list of the path. Click on the one you want to go to.

Perfect! Thank you for revealing this functionality, it was bugging me that OSX would lack something simple like this.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    btw, in Safari command-click also works for websites