If the Cube came back...

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    holy crap. That was the most confusing post I've ever seen. I don't know how to respond :eek:
  • Reply 62 of 67
    dang, i befuddled Applenut...i should get a prize...or else it's late and my brain is in misfunction mode (it has happened before)...must stop looking at CRT screen and sleep soon...g

ps...more confusing than codenames post??

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: thegelding ]</p>
  • Reply 63 of 67
    [quote] What I find funny is how A BUNCH of people here wanted a headless iMac, and a BUNCH of people here wanted a g4 iMac, The cube, WAS a headless g4 iMac, the problem of course being the price, but its funny how when what everyone wanted came around, no one wanted it <hr></blockquote>

No, because a headless iMac would cost LESS than an iMac, just subtract the cost of the CRT. Add a G4 and it should cost about the same as an iMac, at most. Pricing the cube so high was dumb, it made no sense.

The price of a cube, WITH display, should be no higher than $1500. It would sell better than the iMac, because the #1 complaint about the iMac is it's small screen. The cube fixed this.

Apple even bragged about the cube having the highest margin in the industry...LOL, I guess they found out why it's margin was so high..because it was overpriced.

I think it would be a great idea to release another cube, but this time price it like a headless iMac. And give it an Apollo.
  • Reply 64 of 67
    and a superdrive
  • Reply 65 of 67
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

they couldn't make a cube for 1000 before how could they do it now? at 1299 their margins were too small to maintain the product.

how is the switch from a G4 to a G3 going to solve those problems.

the cube should and could be better placed with specs like this:

733 Mhz G4

256 MB RAM

60 GB HD

Geforce 3 MX

56K Modem

10/100/1000 Ethernet

Superdrive

$1299</strong><hr></blockquote>

Excuse me?

If the Cube was/is as expensive to produce as you say above (reasonably, IMO) how can you possibly expect them to re-release it @ the 1299 price point w/ a SUPERDRIVE in it, for crying out loud?

Was right there with you 'til this popped out....
  • Reply 66 of 67
    thought he had it at 1299 with the combo drive....superdrive would up the cost to 1599--1499 would be nice, but i doubt it...g
  • Reply 67 of 67
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Ooo...what if the new iMac was indeed a resurrected, restyled (given a cool glossy white skin, a la the iBook) Cube?

Still call it the iMac, of course, and perhaps make a separate line of LCDs (same specs, sizes as the current 15" and 17" Studio Displays) with a matching white finish to go with the new iMac cube?

With ADC, any idiot could connect the display to the Cube.

That would be SHARP.

I can totally imagine an all-white, glossy cube AND matching display. Talk about sleek!

Would easily solve the whole "but the iMac's screen is too small!" gripe, as the customer could choose their display, based on need and/or budget.

Of course, this all hangs on Apple reducing the price on their flat panel displays to reasonable, affordable levels...

Could you imagine a GHz-level G3 (or even a 800MHz or so G4...IF a G5 is unveiled next week) with the cool slot loading "toaster" combo drive, a nice video card, etc.

I've always maintained that the Cube was a beautiful, way-cool design that got axed JUST when it could've gotten really interesting (faster G3/G4, combo drive, etc.).

It's just a shame it came out of the gate priced the way it did. It kinda doomed it beyond help I guess. But there's no good reason it couldn't be reborn and restyled. They spent a lot of time and effort in the design, research, engineering, etc. Shame to let all that effort and time go to waste after only a year.

The Cube was ONLY a failure because of its pricing, related to the towers and iMacs. If it BECAME the new iMac...

Don't call it something lame like the iCube. That's too easy and stock. Just call it the iMac and people will accept it.

I'm not one of those people who thinks that it's "carved in stone" that the iMac absolutely HAS to be an all-in-one unit. I mean, it HAS been of course...but what if that's simply not the best solution, three years down the road?

Everything changes and it's not 1998 anymore. The ADC thing greatly simplifies the whole hooking up process (adds but one more step to the whole iMac set-up). I'd like to think that people are savvy enough (ones buying Macs, anyway) to simply attach one cable from the computer to the display.

The benefits of that far outweight any chances of someone being such a clueless dumbass that they can't figure out how to connect an ADC thing. If you're coming from a PC background, then you're already used to hooking up a monitor cable, speakers, printer, power, etc.

The ADC thing will seem like a stroke of genius. And if you ARE someone who can't handle the ADC thing and absolutely can't fathom hooking up one cable, you're probably not the kind of customer Apple wants anyway. You're the kind of person who'll be calling the goddamn tech support line everytime your computer goes to sleep or whatever.

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: pscates ]</p>