Changing iTunes Vids from Movie type to TV show?

dcqdcq
Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I've ripped a few episodes of my favorite TV shows that I've had on DVD for a while so I can watch them on my iPod. So far, all of them are automatically showing up as movie type (with the option to switch them to music video type) when I Get Info on the episode. Is there anyway I can switch them to TV show type, so that I can put the show name and season number?

Also, when that's done, is there a way to make them show up in order rather than alphabetically? I'm assuming it would have that as an option once it's changed to TV show type, but just thought I'd ask in case it's not obvious.

thanks a million.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Select video -> Get Info -> Options -> Video Kind
  • Reply 2 of 5
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Select video -> Get Info -> Options -> Video Kind

Thanks for the reply, but that's exactly what I've tried. The only options it gives me are Movie and Music Video.

The shows are in widescreen (320x172 and one in 720x400). I'm guessing that may have something to do with it. (????) But I have no idea why iTunes won't let me manually change it, since a few TV shows are in widescreen format.

I wish it were as easy to change as genre is for music, and I'm guessing it should be, but this is frustrating...

Still questioning, and still wondering.

Thanks in advance!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    have you installed itunes 6.0.2 yet?.. 6.0.1 only gave me the options of Movie and Music Video, but 6.0.2 changed that.

Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to enter the show name, season info. If I leave these fields empty, these files won't show up on my iPod. So, even with having this option in 6.0.2, it doesn't really help as I still have to leave these as "Movies"

If anyone figures out how to enter in a Show name, please, let me know.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Quote:

Originally posted by confirmed

have you installed itunes 6.0.2 yet?.. 6.0.1 only gave me the options of Movie and Music Video, but 6.0.2 changed that.

Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to enter the show name, season info. If I leave these fields empty, these files won't show up on my iPod. So, even with having this option in 6.0.2, it doesn't really help as I still have to leave these as "Movies"

If anyone figures out how to enter in a Show name, please, let me know.

Ok. That fixed it. I can now set my videos to TV Show type. But like you, I can't edit any of the relevant fields. WTF!?!

My guess is that Apple is making this as difficult as possible because it is scared shiteless of the MPAA (or at least wanting to stay on its good side, curry favor, etc...). But this is just stupid.

iTunes Videos needs to be its own application in iLife, with a conduit/window into its db from iTunes (the same way you can add music to slideshows from iPhoto and iMovie, and allowing you to create custom DVDs in iDVD). I posted about this in Temporary Insanity, but it seems pretty sane to me compared to this crap. I have the most limited programming experience on the planet, and I could probably whip up a custom database combined with automator that would be more serviceable.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCQ View Post

Ok. That fixed it. I can now set my videos to TV Show type. But like you, I can't edit any of the relevant fields. WTF!?!

You want to get an applescript from Doug's Applescript site at http://dougscripts.com/itunes/. Search for "set video kind" and choose from a couple of great scripts. No programming required. Just follow the installation instructions. Easy!