My informal MacBook iTunes rip speed tests

Comments

• Reply 81 of 121
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by percy

I just converted a 1-hour MP3 file to AAC and it was running at a constant 18.0x on my iMac 17" Duo Core (only 512MB RAM). This was happening while I was compiling some stuff, and with a few other apps open too.

Percy, get some more RAM! I wouldn't even let my grandma use 512 MB nowadays! The horrors!
  • Reply 82 of 121
    percypercy Posts: 11member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Percy, get some more RAM! I wouldn't even let my grandma use 512 MB nowadays! The horrors!

I'm trying to get a 1GB stick of RAM. I didn't find out until *AFTER* I bought it that the new iMac used SO-DIMM. That was a big surprise to me, almost made me want to return the iMac... I've called everyplace in town and looked everywhere online?can't find any 1GB PC2-5300 SO-DIMM in stock or at a reasonable price.

-Percy

PS: And no I'm *NOT* forking over $300 USD for the RAM on Apple's website... I can get it for less than half that if I just wait a week or two...
  • Reply 83 of 121
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Xool, front page of macrumors!

Solid work
  • Reply 84 of 121
    I'm wondering if someone is willing to really push an audio app like Garageband and see how far they can get. And even more importantly, how the fan sounds. I really get tired of my revision A iMac - its so bad in my studio that in order to work I need to put on headphones!

Also, anyone willing to download the demo to Native Instruments' Guitar Rig 2 and just see if it runs? (I know they mention they are having a Universal binary of this in the 2nd quarter, however I'm curious what would happen). Give details if the time allows!
  • Reply 85 of 121
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

Xool, front page of macrumors!

Solid work

• Reply 86 of 121
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ouroboros

I'm wondering if someone is willing to really push an audio app like Garageband and see how far they can get. And even more importantly, how the fan sounds. I really get tired of my revision A iMac - its so bad in my studio that in order to work I need to put on headphones!

Also, anyone willing to download the demo to Native Instruments' Guitar Rig 2 and just see if it runs? (I know they mention they are having a Universal binary of this in the 2nd quarter, however I'm curious what would happen). Give details if the time allows!

You should get your iMac checked out (although not by Apple store people). I had the same problem of super loud fans + spontaneous sleep/shutdown problems. A new mobo & power supply has cured all my ills. My iMac is actually quite quiet now, although I wouldn't say whisper quiet it isn't the wind tunnel hair dryer that it was a few months ago.
  • Reply 87 of 121
    Quote:

I just downloaded the NI Guitar Rig 2 demo, it runs. I don't have any fancy inputs to test anything with, but it does run. At idling with the default rig, the CPU usage was hovering around 25% (according to Guitar Rig anyway, didn't bother checking Activity Monitor).

Haven't played with GarageBand much, and all I have is the demos it comes with. If there's some demos out there that would do more to test the app, give me some links and I can try them out. But I still only have 512MB RAM... \
  • Reply 88 of 121
    Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You !!!! Guitar Rig 2, even under emulation is only at 25%???? Great!!! How's the fan through all of this??! I can't believe this computer. My hand is hovering over the "buy now" button...
  • Reply 89 of 121
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

You should get your iMac checked out (although not by Apple store people). I had the same problem of super loud fans + spontaneous sleep/shutdown problems. A new mobo & power supply has cured all my ills. My iMac is actually quite quiet now, although I wouldn't say whisper quiet it isn't the wind tunnel hair dryer that it was a few months ago.

You know I took it down to an Apple Store, ran it with a temperature/fan rpm monitor in front of two apple genius guys, and they both said, "that's normal for a revision A iMac...." They reset the nvram, pram, all sorts of stuff, and the damn thing ramps up when I simply surf through a few webpages. What's weird is that I can't remember if this thing actually was like this in the beginning when I got it or not.
  • Reply 90 of 121
    Quote:

You know I took it down to an Apple Store, ran it with a temperature/fan rpm monitor in front of two apple genius guys, and they both said, "that's normal for a revision A iMac...." They reset the nvram, pram, all sorts of stuff, and the damn thing ramps up when I simply surf through a few webpages. What's weird is that I can't remember if this thing actually was like this in the beginning when I got it or not.

What happens if you go to the Energy Saver System Preference pane and under Options set Processor Performance to Highest? I do this on my G5 tower and the fans rarely come on, but if you leave it at Automatic the fans will rev needlessly.

If this fixes your fan revving issue I can go in to why this fix works. Although if others are curious I'll post the reason anyhow.
  • Reply 91 of 121
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

What happens if you go to the Energy Saver System Preference pane and under Options set Processor Performance to Highest? I do this on my G5 tower and the fans rarely come on, but if you leave it at Automatic the fans will rev needlessly.

If this fixes your fan revving issue I can go in to why this fix works. Although if others are curious I'll post the reason anyhow.

yeah i've tried all of that. highest setting pretty much is the same in my opinion.

at this rate i'm getting one. those of you wanting one might want to go over to macintouch.com and notice that amazon has a $125 rebate on the new intel imacs....

but xool, i'm very interested in the fan issue, so explain away if you'd like.
  • Reply 92 of 121
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Yea, that's why I said not by Apple store people. The Apple store replaced my mobo, but that only upgraded me from "spontaneous sleep" to "spontaneous shutdown with loud POPping noise". They wouldn't let me bring it in for another repair, and said it must be the quality of my electrical service at home. Mind you I live in a brick building built in 1981 so the electricity is solid.

I had to call AppleCare and spend time on the phone with them until they agreed with me that repairs still needed to be made. They also agreed the repair should be done on site since I'd already brought my iMac to their store twice and they hadn't fixed my problem. Anyway, the non Apple tech guy ordered and replaced my power supply and my fan noise (as well as shutdown) problem went away.

At this point if anything else goes weird with my iMac I'll either request onsite service or go somewhere other then the Apple store for repairs. I'm truly amazed that an actual official Apple store was able to get away without correctly repairing my iMac. I haven't been back to that store since.
  • Reply 93 of 121
    Quote:

Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You !!!! Guitar Rig 2, even under emulation is only at 25%???? Great!!! How's the fan through all of this??! I can't believe this computer. My hand is hovering over the "buy now" button...

I haven't heard a peep out of the iMac since I bought it, other than the speakers. Granted my office is really close to the HVAC units so there's lots of noise up above, but I can hear my PB17" wind up the old fan long before I hear the iMac's cooling...

-Percy
  • Reply 94 of 121
    iTunes [has] NOT been optimized for intel yet, It's all over the Apple Developer discussion threads.

ABSOLUTELY do not use iTunes ripping to show speeds.

Somebody posted some tests using real native intel mp3 ripping and it was nearly 3times faster than a dual 2.5ghz g5.

The intel chips are really optimized heavily for media
  • Reply 95 of 121
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

iTunes [has] NOT been optimized for intel yet, It's all over the Apple Developer discussion threads.

So, are you implying that these results, showing that an iMac Core Duo at 1.83 GHz is the equivalent of a Power Mac G5 at 2.5 GHz in CD ripping through iTunes, are still on the un-optimised side?

Quote:

Somebody posted some tests using real native intel mp3 ripping and it was nearly 3times faster than a dual 2.5ghz g5.

Some link here would be most welcome.
  • Reply 96 of 121
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

The intel chips are really optimized heavily for media

Umm, I don't know about you, but I rip my CDs using iTunes and if I got a new intel Mac I'd still rip my CDs using iTunes. QuickTime may not be fully optimized for the Core Duo but that doesn't mean that rip speed results are not useful. They may not be the best at benchmarking the machines ultimate potential but it does indicate the machine's real-world performance today.
  • Reply 97 of 121
    Ok, this is a little off-topic. I see all these articles around talking about benchmarking and stuff and a lot of them say "none of these benchmarks are anywhere near the performance promised by Steve Jobs" or things like that. They're whining that things aren't all 2-3x faster on the iMac. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when I watched the keynote (it has been a week since I saw it, so my memory might be blurry), I seem to remember hearing Jobs say "Of course, we're just talking about the processor being twice as fast. There are other factors such as the Hard Drives, RAM, Graphics, etc. that will affect the overall performance." Is it just me, or did he actually say something along those lines? Then why is everyone complaining that Apple is all of a sudden pushing "false" advertisements by claiming a 2-3x performance. The CPU is 2-3x faster. But the Hard Drive isn't. The RAM might be a little faster, but not 2-3x faster.

Anyway, just a thought.
  • Reply 98 of 121
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Ok, this is a little off-topic. I see all these articles around talking about benchmarking and stuff and a lot of them say "none of these benchmarks are anywhere near the performance promised by Steve Jobs" or things like that. They're whining that things aren't all 2-3x faster on the iMac. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when I watched the keynote (it has been a week since I saw it, so my memory might be blurry), I seem to remember hearing Jobs say "Of course, we're just talking about the processor being twice as fast. There are other factors such as the Hard Drives, RAM, Graphics, etc. that will affect the overall performance." Is it just me, or did he actually say something along those lines?

No, it isn't just you. He did say almost exactly that. People just seem to like taking things out of context. It happens all the time. Nowhere has apple claimed that the iMac is 2 - 3 times faster in everything.
  • Reply 99 of 121
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Ok, this is a little off-topic. I see all these articles around talking about benchmarking and stuff and a lot of them say "none of these benchmarks are anywhere near the performance promised by Steve Jobs" or things like that. They're whining that things aren't all 2-3x faster on the iMac. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when I watched the keynote (it has been a week since I saw it, so my memory might be blurry), I seem to remember hearing Jobs say "Of course, we're just talking about the processor being twice as fast. There are other factors such as the Hard Drives, RAM, Graphics, etc. that will affect the overall performance." Is it just me, or did he actually say something along those lines? Then why is everyone complaining that Apple is all of a sudden pushing "false" advertisements by claiming a 2-3x performance. The CPU is 2-3x faster. But the Hard Drive isn't. The RAM might be a little faster, but not 2-3x faster.

Anyway, just a thought.

You are right. But:

And there is no reservations there...
  • Reply 100 of 121
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

No, it isn't just you. He did say almost exactly that. People just seem to like taking things out of context. It happens all the time. Nowhere has apple claimed that the iMac is 2 - 3 times faster in everything.

Nowhere except at the homepage for the iMac:

http://www.apple.com/imac/

There are no "up to" or any "but"s there. 2-3 times faster i the claim.