iMovie '06 Significantly Slower?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have a flat-panel iMac 2 with a 1 Ghz G4 processor and 1 Gig of RAM.

I just upgraded to iLife '06. Though many parts of iMovie seem to run as quickly as before, when I pull transitions in, it seems to take A LOT longer 1. To get each one to pull in, and 2. For them to render.

I pull in about a dozen or so 4-second transitions at a shot on my projects and typically a project has about 250 or so transitions. Now, 12 or so transitions will take about 30 minutes to render, which is much slower than with iLife '05. It seems as though now with iLife '06 the first transition must totally finish rendering prior to the next one starting.

Does this have somthing to do with the way iLife '06 was written? I'm an idiot with regard to programming and the technical aspects of these things. Was iLife re-written in universal binary or something like that? Would that make it killer-fast on the Intel processor, but slower on my 3-year old iMac G4? Forgive my lack of knowlege in this regard....

Just wondering if I should maybe revert back to iLife '05 for now until I get an Intel-based machine down the road. Or perhaps this is just an anomaly with my current project.

Thanks for the input!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Could it be because they're no longer using the preview window, but showing the effects on the main screen?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Could it be because they're no longer using the preview window, but showing the effects on the main screen?

Good point, but I had already turned off that function....

Any other ideas?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    For what it's worth, when I tried iMovie 6 on an iMac DC at my local Apple Store, it crashed when I tried applying transitions. Twice. On two separate iMacs. So I don't think it's an anomaly.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    There'll likely be bug fixes and updates soon to address stuff like this.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I tried the transitions and it also crashed iMovie. I hadn't upgraded to 10.4.4 yet, and after I did that, I didn't get the crash. But it's hard to believe the Apple Stores hadn't upgraded their Macs...

Slackula: How do you turn off the previews? I'm not at my Mac that has iLife 06 right now, so I can't check, but I don't remember seeing how you could turn it off.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

I tried the transitions and it also crashed iMovie. I hadn't upgraded to 10.4.4 yet, and after I did that, I didn't get the crash. But it's hard to believe the Apple Stores hadn't upgraded their Macs...

Slackula: How do you turn off the previews? I'm not at my Mac that has iLife 06 right now, so I can't check, but I don't remember seeing how you could turn it off.

Maybe I should not have used the term "turned off". All I did was click the X in the viewer window so that for that session, the viewer would not keep previewing the effect. I really did not deselect it in Preferences or anything like that....
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

They were fully upgraded, which I found a bit of a pain. I tried again the other day, but I can't remember if it crashed once or not. When it did work, though, it was pretty slow. But I've never used iMovie before (I'm looking into it now, hence the run-ins with it.), so I can't compare it to anything.