VPN software and OS X?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
From what I can tell MacOS X comes with no software that allows you to create a network tunnel or VPN. I have looked around and there aren't many friendly solutions out there. CISCO provides a fairly easy to use UI, but the company I am working at does not use CISCO for there VPN. In fact our company use an SSL based solution and I am having difficulty working out what to do.

Two questions, is there any software around that would allow me to do that and would you want Apple to provide some basic VPN software, with the Apple ease of use, with a future version of MacOS X?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    wgauvinwgauvin Posts: 100member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ajmas

From what I can tell MacOS X comes with no software that allows you to create a network tunnel or VPN. I have looked around and there aren't many friendly solutions out there. CISCO provides a fairly easy to use UI, but the company I am working at does not use CISCO for there VPN. In fact our company use an SSL based solution and I am having difficulty working out what to do.

Two questions, is there any software around that would allow me to do that and would you want Apple to provide some basic VPN software, with the Apple ease of use, with a future version of MacOS X?

Actually, Tiger does do VPN connections, I can't recall what you have to do, just go to system preferences and do a spotlight search on VPN it should come up.

Now, if you're talking about doing remote desktop, then that's another matter all together. I installed X11, and used rdesktop.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    VPN Tracker

Quote:

• Reply 3 of 10
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    I will take a look at that. My company is using a solution from Aventail (http://www.aventail.com/ ), for the VPN, though I haven't been able to find anything on the Mac side that would allow me to connect to it.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wgauvin

Actually, Tiger does do VPN connections, I can't recall what you have to do, just go to system preferences and do a spotlight search on VPN it should come up.

You need OSX server for standard (build-in) VPN services.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Actually there is a very nice solution here:

DigiTunnel

(Mod Note: Fixed URL - JL)
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigBlue

You need OSX server for standard (build-in) VPN services.

I will take a look at the above solutions. Though it would be nice for Apple to provide something on the client end of things.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Well, you have a PPTP and L2TP VPN client in Internet Connect, and you have SSH from the command line, and there's a free Cisco VPN client ..
  • Reply 8 of 10
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Go to Applications > Internet Connection the third option is for VPNs ;-)

If your connecting to a Cisco VPN you have to use the Cisco VPN client, which Cisco only makes available if your company has one ;-)
  • Reply 9 of 10
    My company uses an SSL based solution from Aventail (see posting above). So far no luck with the suggested software.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I wrote to Equinux, the company develops VPN tracker, and this is a reply they gave me:

"Aventail is using SSL encapsulation, we are using IPSec, these two are worlds

apart. IPSec is several layers lower than SSL and works completely

differently. So this is a no go."

Its what I suspected, but at least I know for sure.