Powerbook won't close

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello. My 17" powerbook won't close. The hinges are fine, but when i try to close it, the latches come down out of the slots, but don't latch on. This makes it so i can't put my computer to sleep (unless i do it manually). I do not have applecare so i'm trying to see if anyone had any suggestions. there is nothing obstructing the slots that the hooks drop into, it just appears that the magnets arn't working. Any ideas or places in the Bay Area that might fix this for fairly cheap? Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    cyloncylon Posts: 126member
    I had the same problem with my 15" PB last year. Took it into my local Apple Store and they sent it off for repair. They had to replace the bezel around the screen. I think I took it in on a Monday and had it back by Thursday. No problems since.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by cylon

I had the same problem with my 15" PB last year. Took it into my local Apple Store and they sent it off for repair. They had to replace the bezel around the screen. I think I took it in on a Monday and had it back by Thursday. No problems since.

Thanks for the info...my only concern is i don't have applecare. did they do it for free for you w/o applecare? If not, how much did it cost you?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    i ended up going on craigslist.org looking for someone who fixes macs. guy came out, had it all fixed in 25 minutes and charged me only $70. Woo hoo!!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    cato988cato988 Posts: 307member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDRossman

i ended up going on craigslist.org looking for someone who fixes macs. guy came out, had it all fixed in 25 minutes and charged me only $70. Woo hoo!!

hmm..maybe its just me, but 70$ seems alittle steep
  • Reply 5 of 5
    woulda been over 200 through apple w/o applecare. Cheapest i had found. he had to take the case off and everything 2 get inside. Pretty easy to come off, but he said it's a bitch to get back on and people bend theirs and fuck it up on occasion. i'm happy w/ 70...plus it was same day. didn't need 2 send it in.