MacBook (iBook) Predictions

Comments

• Reply 61 of 98
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

So it looks like the core-solo will not be available until the second half of the year. If a MacBook (iBook) is introduced around March ~ April then it will most likely use a 1.5 GHz low voltage core-duo then. Same goes for the Mac mini. Sounds good to me. I'd rather have a low voltage core-duo at 1.5 GHz than a core-solo at 1.67 GHz. That's assuming there isn't too much of a performance hit with the low voltage versions.

More likely Dothan Pentium-Ms. Rumor has it the programmers were told to program for it. There's one major circumstantial evidence point towards Apple waiting until summer for the core solo: the lack of a intel compatible consumer word processing suite.
  • Reply 62 of 98
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cosmos 1999

Radeon X300 is a pretty old ATI solution. While Apple often integrated uncompetitive ancient graphic cards in their computers (GeForce 5200 for example), now with Intel the times are changing:

- Apple compete directly with the PC world, they cannot put bad cards anymore,

- graphic interface in Mac Intel is PCI-express and not AGP anymore, this implies only modern GPUs.

So it seems Apple finally get modern cards (cf. Radeon X1600 128/256MB in iMac and MacBook Pro).

Considering Intel integraded "Graphics Media Accelerator", it is here in iMac Core Duo and MacBook Pro as GMA950, but not used thanks to the ATI X1600.

GMA950 is included in the i945GM chipset, consisting of the 82945GM northbridge and the 82801GBM southbridge more known as the ICH7-M (which has an Infineon Trust Platform Module). Why Apple didn't use the cheaper i945PM chipset (identical but sans GMA950) is beyond me.

GMA950 is DX9 compatible, implying it support Smart Shaders 2.x thus Core Image. But it is not a perfect solution because while pixel shaders 2.0 are supported in hardware, vertex shaders 3.0 code is software emulated.

GMA950 only in MacBook would be IMHO a step backwards compared to the current Radeon 9550 in iBook, fully Core Image compatible.

So I may be wrong but I bet MacBook will have a 945GM express chipset with GMA950, plus an ATI Radeon X1300 128 MB.

The Macbook (and Mini) will include dedicated graphics. I could see an outside chance of a CheapMac and CheapBook with celeron-m processors and intergrated graphics, but it just doesn't seem like Apple.
  • Reply 63 of 98
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    no no way Cheap Celeron M on APPLE, i guess if it is Celeron M we shd see iBook and mac mini by this time ...

all is well and good waiting for Core duo CPUs available widely also they hv Same PIN config like future CPUs so easier for APPLE to drop in new CPUs in different machines....

by the end of the year 2006 we will see NICE APPLE products for different needs/prices
  • Reply 64 of 98
    If Apple announces the iBook replacement(MacBook) in March or April, when will it actually ship? Will we have to wait a month or two before we see them "hit shelves"?
  • Reply 65 of 98
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    If Apple went with Core Duo for iBook and Mini lines it would surely wow purchasers and would make the machines very competitive and attractive. Prices on these chips will come down in time and the current prices are one reason Apple only released the higher margin iMac and MacBook Pro lines.

Eventually the MacBook can leap ahead of the iBook in terms of performance, but for now you'll at least get a sexier lightweight case with more ports and more features.
  • Reply 66 of 98
    So there's little chance that the new MacBook will have any features that are worth waiting for? Front Row is cool and all, but I was looking for a speed jump, even if they don't use the Dual Core chip... Won't Intel processors out perform PowerPC chips even with similar specs?

I thought Intel had a better a architecture...
  • Reply 67 of 98
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

If widescreen, I'd hope for a 1280x800 resolution, the 16:10 aspect ratio favored by most widescreen computer displays. At 13.3", that about 113.5 ppi, about the same pixel density as the current 15" G4 PowerBook -- a bump of from older pixel densities, but still not at the squinty extremes of some laptops.

Come on, I already have a 1280x800 resolution on my Acer TM3004 12" widescreen.
  • Reply 68 of 98
    Quote:

Originally posted by troberts

When Steve introduced the MacBook Pro he said "It's a new name because we're kinda done with Power and because we want Mac in the name of our products" so I think the iBook name will not be used when the consumer notebook get an Intel processor. As for the new name I can see it getting called "iMacBook" or "iMac Book"

I like the name iBook. Simple and just that.
  • Reply 69 of 98
    I like the name iBook, too. It is simple, and people have an attachment to already..

For its cpu, I hope it does come with a dual core, that would be great.
  • Reply 70 of 98
    Quote:

Originally posted by NordicMan

I like the name iBook, too. It is simple, and people have an attachment to already..

For its cpu, I hope it does come with a dual core, that would be great.

iBook is a great name, but for whatever reason they think that they need to have Mac in the name of everything... Oh, well. As long as they continue to make incredible products, I can deal with it...
  • Reply 71 of 98
    derekderek Posts: 50member
    Quote:

Originally posted by troberts

When Steve introduced the MacBook Pro he said "It's a new name because we're kinda done with Power and because we want Mac in the name of our products" so I think the iBook name will not be used when the consumer notebook get an Intel processor. As for the new name I can see it getting called "iMacBook" or "iMac Book"

I was thinking the same thing and was just reading the thread to make sure no one else thought of it but saw yours.

Steve will say. its called the iMac Book..., why is it the iMac Book beacuse its a imac in a laptop form. its white like the imac. and when you open it up it looks like the imac, with a built in isight and a slot load disc drive. and the screen looks like it too. 16:10 widescreen display. "this think is gergous"
  • Reply 72 of 98
    The iMac has become a more "mid" range computer to apple- or maybe a top of the line consumer computer.

Maybe they'll do something similar with the portables.

The MacBook Pro's are the equivalent to the PowerMac's or "Mac Pro's".

The MacBook (iBook) would be similar to the iMac.

And a new MacBook mini (super cheap tablet?) would be similar to the Mac mini.

And how about this- the Mac mini becomes an affordable media center w/ the MacBook mini as the remote for the Mac mini- that would be pretty cool.
  • Reply 73 of 98
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

The iMac has become a more "mid" range computer to apple- or maybe a top of the line consumer computer.

Maybe they'll do something similar with the portables.

The MacBook Pro's are the equivalent to the PowerMac's or "Mac Pro's".

The MacBook (iBook) would be similar to the iMac.

And a new MacBook mini (super cheap tablet?) would be similar to the Mac mini.

And how about this- the Mac mini becomes an affordable media center w/ the MacBook mini as the remote for the Mac mini- that would be pretty cool.

Not a chance in hell..

First Apple will almost certainly never make a tablet.

Second the MacBook is going to be enough of a transition with the new name and everything.

Third The MacBook is going to fill the only other price range for a portable that needs filling. A 12inch screen is small enough, I doubt they will ever make anything smaller.

Fourth The Mac Mini is supposed to be the easy transition from PC Mac/ Affordable second or third Mac for the Faithful. If they ever build a Media Center Mac it will either be a completely new design or an iMac variation. They won't build it using a Mac Mini.
  • Reply 74 of 98
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Originally posted by opnsource

Not a chance in hell..

First Apple will almost certainly never make a tablet.

I can see it now:

"The latest in technology! A hand held device on which one marks with a stylus. All you need to make your work permanent is to bake the mud tablet in the oven or let dry in the sun. Keeps forever. unless dropped or drowned."

---Sumerian advert discovered in the ruins of Uruk, transcribed from cuniform, and offered for sale in an "antique" stall in Baghdad or Paris.
  • Reply 75 of 98
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Actually, I only wish there was a MacMini with a better graphics board...
  • Reply 76 of 98
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cubit

Actually, I only wish there was a MacMini with a better graphics board...

I whole heartedly agree. My folks have a crappy PC, and they want to switch and get a Mini but I'm making them wait untill the Intel version comes out. Hopefully that will be one of the other parts that gets an upgrade...
  • Reply 77 of 98
    By the way, I was wondering if anyone who frequents this site has any real idea of when Apple will announce the MacBook(iBook). My income tax check will be used to purchase a new MacBook, whenever they get here, and I am getting anxious... Also, if anyone has any info, can we expect the same sort of wait as the MacBook Pro. Will they announce them a month before they actually ship? Anxious...
  • Reply 78 of 98
    MacBook are supposed to be based on Core Solo processors. So they could be announced sometime in march. That's what seem the more likely.

I also do beleive that we will see a tablet like Mac judging by all the work done in MacOS X (Inkwell among other things) and the interesting patent on sensitive display.

In some month time they will have an INTEL process on which they could build such a machine: the U Core Solo/Duo family of processor (U for Ultra low power consomption).

That could become an 'Tablet' done well...
  • Reply 79 of 98
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FrenchMac

MacBook are supposed to be based on Core Solo processors. So they could be announced sometime in march. That's what seem the more likely.

I also do beleive that we will see a tablet like Mac judging by all the work done in MacOS X (Inkwell among other things) and the interesting patent on sensitive display.

In some month time they will have an INTEL process on which they could build such a machine: the U Core Solo/Duo family of processor (U for Ultra low power consomption).

That could become an 'Tablet' done well...

I like where your head is at but unfortunately the only tablet will get from Apple is the one with holy engraving's of Steve Jobs. To include such passages as;

Thou halt not have any other OS before you except the true OSX.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors Mac, thou shalt purchase his own.

Thou shalt purchase a new Mac once a year as to assure the living style of his holiness Steve Jobs.

....and so on.
  • Reply 80 of 98
    I agree with Relic. Apple has worked toward and even patented things that never saw the light of day, much less went into production. Tablet laptop users are a minority. To build one for Mac users would be catering to a minority in a minority.

Now I'm sure that someone will post a reply on how they would most certainly use a MacTablet if one was ever produced. But you have to think about the fact that the ratio of potential MacTablet users to MacBook and MacBook Pro users, a tablet isn't a smart move financially.

IF in the EXTREMELY UNLIKELY event that Apple does produce a tablet, it won't have anything to do with the MacBook. Steve and the Company learned very early on that education is a big part of Apple's business. A tablet would be added into the Pro Notebook lineup along with the MacBook Pro.

Of course, hell with have to freeze over, and Satan himself will be offering free sleigh rides first.