Is the G5 dead for sure?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

The chip that is in the 360 is a stripped down PPC CPU, probably not capable of doing computer kind of work. Just designed with gaming in mind. To make it capable of doing computer work, it would run at very high temps probably.

Yeah. According to John Carmack, the Xenon has nothing on a real computer.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?op...=2164&Itemid=2
  • Reply 22 of 31
    Quote:

It doesn't use a Xenon CPU. It has a PowerPC CPU. The code name for the PPC chip was Xenon. The xBox 360 has a triple core 3.2 Ghz PPC chip developed by IBM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360 ... read it and weep.

Quote:

The console hardware is based on a custom IBM PowerPC-based "Xenon" central processing unit (CPU)

Chances of wiki being wrong? 1%

Chances of you being wrong? 99%
  • Reply 23 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360 ... read it and weep.

Chances of wiki being wrong? 1%

Chances of you being wrong? 99%

Exactly. It doesn't use an Intel Xenon CPU. It uses the IBM PPC chip that is called Xenon. It is a triple core 3.2 Ghz PPC. Just do a bit of searching around ai and macrumors. You will find the specs of it.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    Quote:

Exactly. It doesn't use an Intel Xenon CPU. It uses the IBM PPC chip that is called Xenon. It is a triple core 3.2 Ghz PPC. Just do a bit of searching around ai and macrumors. You will find the specs of it.

1) There is no "Xenon" CPU from Intel. That would be "Xeon".

2) The codename for the XBox360 CPU is actually "Waternoose".
  • Reply 25 of 31
    Quote:

Oh shit...you thought I was talking about Xeon processors?

The name of the PPC chip that MS is using is called Xenon. There's nothing confusing about anything I've said. You're the one that somehow thought people were taking about Xeon processors.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by dansgil

What I don't understand is that if IBM could develop a triple core 3.2 Ghz G5 for the Xbox 360, why they couldn't develop it for Apple.

Even if IBM have the ability to produce triple-core G5, Apple won't want it anyway.

Single-Core G5 is already a great power eater and a great heat generator as well.

Have you watched Steve Job's latest keynote?

Apple just can't fit the G5 into a laptop.

By the way, is Xbox360's CPU a triple-core G5?
  • Reply 27 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by mechengit

Even if IBM have the ability to produce triple-core G5, Apple won't want it anyway.

Single-Core G5 is already a great power eater and a great heat generator as well.

Have you watched Steve Job's latest keynote?

Apple just can't fit the G5 into a laptop.

Let's just call it, for no reason in particular, a Xenon PPC processor.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by mechengit

It's a triple-core 64bit PPC chip, but not G5 (970).
  • Reply 29 of 31
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Speaking of the G5, supposedly the 970GX just hit 3GHz.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    Even if the Xenon could be used in a Mac, you wouldn't want it -

My partner just got an XBOX360 - it is a tank, and has a fan that sounds like a 2 stroke tractor engine revving up on a frosty morning.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattcl

Even if the Xenon could be used in a Mac, you wouldn't want it -

My partner just got an XBOX360 - it is a tank, and has a fan that sounds like a 2 stroke tractor engine revving up on a frosty morning.

There is a difference between a processor and a fan. If you think that a Mac based on the Xenon would require the warehouse fan in the Xbox 360, think again. Apple has solved the fan problem. My dual 2.7 GHz G5 sits on my desk less than 50 cm from my right ear. I rarely ever hear the fans.