Am I not able to extend my desktop using two monitors with my Dual 2.7 G5 Power Mac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello, I own a Dual 2.7 G5 PowerMac running OS 10.4.

I recently began looking into buying a second display with the intention of extending my desktop. But when I went up to Mac Help on my desktop toolbar and typed in "multiple displays", I found some poor news that I am hoping is not true.

Now, I haven't purchased the second monitor yet so obviously it is not hooked up, but the Mac Help informed me that I am to open System Preferences, than click Displays, and than click Arrangement. The thing is, I do not have an arrangement option/button/tab.

The MacHelp than states this:

"If you don't see an Arrangement button, your computer is only capable of mirroring (showing the same image on all screens)".

Do I not have the arrangement option simply because I do not currently have two monitors plugged in? I thought this hardcore PowerPC would be able to extend my desktop. I certainly do not want to buy a second monitor until I can be reassured with what I assumed would be the ability to extend my desktop across two monitors using this killer-diller computer.

Incase you couldn't tell, I have never set up a dual monitor situation. What am I doing wrong? What can I do or what do I need to do to accomplish this? Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    mccrabmccrab Posts: 201member
    Which graphics card are you using and does it have two ports on it?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    You only see the arrangement tab when you have two displays currently plugged in. Plug in a second and you'll get it

Amorya
  • Reply 3 of 8
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleComputer

The MacHelp than states this:

"If you don't see an Arrangement button, your computer is only capable of mirroring (showing the same image on all screens)".

Do I not have the arrangement option simply because I do not currently have two monitors plugged in?

Yep. You won't see the arrangement tab until the second monitor is connected and recognized by the Mac. Borrow a friend's monitor and check it out if you're still concerned, but if you've got a port for another display you should be golden.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Guartho

Yep. You won't see the arrangement tab until the second monitor is connected and recognized by the Mac. Borrow a friend's monitor and check it out if you're still concerned, but if you've got a port for another display you should be golden.

edit: Damn you English and your different time zone! I get up really early and I STILL get beat posting an answer!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Every PowerMac since the Dual G4 shipped with a dual head graphics card, supporting monitor spanning.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    haha, thank you all so much! I can't wait to shred on my dual screens! My next hurdle is connecting the soon-to-be-purchased monitor via whatever adapter I might have to buy to do so. But that's not a big deal, I'm sure there is an adapter out there for every connector type.

According to apple-history.com I have "one single-link and one dual-link DVI port" and my video out is is both DVI and ADC.

Off the top of anybody's head, if this is a easy one to answer, which format looks to be the best bet for longterm compatibility? I don't know which one is to be obsolete the soonest. Thanks. You guys all rock.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleComputer

haha, thank you all so much! I can't wait to shred on my dual screens! My next hurdle is connecting the soon-to-be-purchased monitor via whatever adapter I might have to buy to do so. But that's not a big deal, I'm sure there is an adapter out there for every connector type.

According to apple-history.com I have "one single-link and one dual-link DVI port" and my video out is is both DVI and ADC.

Off the top of anybody's head, if this is a easy one to answer, which format looks to be the best bet for longterm compatibility? I don't know which one is to be obsolete the soonest. Thanks. You guys all rock.

DVI
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McCrab View Post

DVI

FYI in case it helps, I've just connected a Dell 30" to my Powerbook G4. I too wanted the toolbar running across the top - ideally, repeated on both monitors. The best I could do was to arrange the toolbar to be one one monitor or the other, but not both. Somehow I will have to survive.

BTW It is my understanding that for a display of this size especiallly, the dual-link DVI is required, and it is what ships with the monitor, and it is what my card supports (although, this is the maximum it can do).

The OS is very smart about detecting the setup, and it reverts to the one-monitor display when the Dell is not attached, without any problem whatsover (no icons rearranged like in certain other best-selling OS's, for instance). All hail Apple.