battery care

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
is it bad to keep the iPod plugged into the charger for extended periods of time when its already charged? Might be a stupid question but I was just wondering. Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I was wondering the same thing. As my son started listening to my ipod in his room for extended periods of time, so I just used an extra firewire cord & the powersuply it came with plugged ito the wall. It was usually there overnight & I would just grab it in the morning fully charged. But about after a month of this the battery completely died. wouldn't even hold a charge, and I had to reset it while plugged in just to use the thing.

The ipod was 11 months old. And Apple replaced it. But I am not sure if it was time for the battery to go, or if I should refrain from keeping it plugged in most of the time.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I've done some solid research and since Ipods use lithium ion batteries, it's always good to charge them whenever possible. This keeps the electrons in the battery moving. Unlike powerbooks which have nickel based batteries, Ipods can also be charged with a fraction full and the batteries don't have the "memory" feature. Also, keeping the ipod on the charger after it's done charging technically shouldn't hurt the battery unless the heat won't leave the ipod, like if it's in a case. The lithium ion battery isn't supposed to overcharge after it's full. I hope this helps.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Thanks Loudmouth. That helps me. Guess my battery was just ready to go.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Uhhh...PowerBooks have lithium-ion batteries just like iPods...you may want to ask Apple about it.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by StealthRider

Uhhh...PowerBooks have lithium-ion batteries just like iPods...you may want to ask Apple about it.

I second this. PBs are lith-ion. check out http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html . The first line under Standard Maintenance says "for proper maintenance of a lithium-based "
  • Reply 6 of 7
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Typically Li batteries suffer due to non-reversible cell oxidation. The fastest way to achieve it is overheating the battery, leaving it in a hot car or something similar. Draining the battery too much, especially if you leave it that way, also accelerates the oxidation as does case leakage. Generally when you hear about battery recalls it is due to the last of those options or due to protection circuitry failure.

If you aren't going to use a Li battery for a while leave it with around half charge, not full charge and definitely not empty.

Unlike most batteries Li batteries also tend to fail reasonably fast. Although I've had some last half a decade or so expect to see serious degradation at 2 - 3 years, especially if you use it a lot. Again this is due to the oxidation that occurs.

The final problem you can come across with in Li batteries is the control circuitry fails. They have circuitry to protect them from being overcharged, which causes Li metal to form and a reaction that ultimately results in you either getting a cooked lap or no charge, or reaching too little charge. However if you over discharge the battery and leave it you can achieve a point where the battery won't charge again due to the protection circuits.

Quote:

Originally posted by Loudmouth

Unlike powerbooks which have nickel based batteries, Ipods can also be charged with a fraction full and the batteries don't have the "memory" feature.

Actually NiCd batteries are the only ones that show much of a memory effect these days.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    "The battery stops charging when it's full, so you don't have to worry if you leave it plugged in overnight (leaving your iPod connected to an electrical source all the time doesn't continuously charge it)."

That's off of the apple website. I don't really think that leaving the ipod on the charger should hurt it. As for my comments about keeping the ipod charged as much as possible, I think I got that info a long time ago off of a very popular thread at ipodlounge.com I'll try to find the link to see if I mistakenly wrote something that's not true. Anyways, thanks for all the reponses and corrections.