Shareholders urge Palm be put up for sale

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    The only value I see in either Palm or PalmSource (owned by Access) is in the PIM apps that are so easy to use, the original Graffiti input (which they refuse to use anymore), and just the Palm name. Then again, if Apple wanted to do a PDA, they could just call it the iPad or something like that. If Apple could buy the Palm OS, in particular what they have for Linux, port it to some kind of embedded Darwin, get the PIM apps over ... blah, blah, blah ... yeah they might have something, but I'm not sure if it'd be worth it.

I'd love to see Apple head in this kind of direction, but to be honest, I'd rather see an iTablet type device. I'm envisioning something like the Motion Computing LS800 running OS X. I'd order one today if it was available.

For an iPad they could beef up the iPod a bit, much like the current iPods in size, but with a full size touch screen (which would be great for a video iPod anyhow) and Graffiti like pen input. Of course, here is where having some nice PIM apps would come in handy.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    Apple has a PDA. Calendar, address book, pictures. And it holds a hell of a lot of music. Only rub, of course, is that you can't input anything into it without a computer.

Perhaps the next rumored video iPod, with touchscreen click wheel, will allow for input w/o a computer. iPod Pro perhaps?

I can't see Apple buying Palm. I've been tempted by the Treo, but keep holding out for some sort of Apple PDA/iPhone/iPod Pro.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Its kind of a niche market, but medicine needs devices like PDAs/tablets. Go to any hospital in the US and you will finds most docs, residents and med students carrying around Palms or PocketPCs. After HIPPA was signed into law, there has been a gradual move towards electronic medical records, orders and lab reporting. Medicine is one place where the "paperless office" concept does work well.

Also, retail would be another great application for these small devices. Think about the guys walking around Apple stores during the holiday season. The potential to expand into other retail outlets is huge. Apple could offer a single integrated solution of handhelds and point of sale registers based on iMacs with touchscreens.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

q: what would be the main reason apple would potentially buy palm?

a: to get the rest of the BeOS (beyond the journaled file system, which they got pre-panther when they hired that guy -- i forget his name).

You may be thinking of Steve Sakoman. He drove the BeOS. Too bad it never made it. ms squelched that on the hardware front.

Palm does have the Treo.

Probably not too likely for Apple to buy Palm. It would be handy for Apple to have its own nicely done phone.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by NordicMan

You may be thinking of Steve Sakoman. He drove the BeOS. Too bad it never made it. ms squelched that on the hardware front.

Palm does have the Treo.

Probably not too likely for Apple to buy Palm. It would be handy for Apple to have its own nicely done phone.

The BeOS file system guy is Dominic Giampaolo who now works at Apple.

Steve Sakoman was also at Be, co-founding it in fact. IIRC he did the Tracker (the equivalent of Finder) and the initial Hobbit based hardware. Before that he was in charge of Newton at Apple where the Hobbit was also used for prototypes before they chose ARM. In 2003 he left Palm, where he was in charge of the old Be team at Palm working on Cobalt (which became PalmOS6 after he left) to work for ..... Apple.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

The BeOS file system guy is Dominic Giampaolo who now works at Apple.

Steve Sakoman was also at Be, co-founding it in fact. IIRC he did the Tracker (the equivalent of Finder) and the initial Hobbit based hardware. Before that he was in charge of Newton at Apple where the Hobbit was also used for prototypes before they chose ARM. In 2003 he left Palm, where he was in charge of the old Be team at Palm working on Cobalt (which became PalmOS6 after he left) to work for ..... Apple.

Right, thanks, aegis.

Thanks for the note on the fellow Giampaolo. What is Sakoman doing now at Apple?