Is it is just me, or is this new MBP "upgrade"...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
...leaving the new iMac owners out in the cold?

Now the supposed "desktop" which used to be marginally faster is actually slightly SLOWER than the MacBook Pro laptops.

Any anticipated changes to the iMac lineup to accomodate this odd disadvantaging of the desktop market? Perhaps Apple will upgrade existing 2.0GHz Core Duos...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    It's finally setting things right: the iMac, a consumer/prosumer desktop, has a great performance. The MacBook Pro, however, a professional (i.e. above prosumer) laptop, has even slightly greater performance.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I've always thought the use of "prosumer" is stupid, since at the end of the day it's what you do with the computer, not which one you buy, that makes one a professional or a consumer. The iMac is super cheap and has a bigger display. You can use the extra cash to buy some cool software. I think that's fair enough.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Animal Farm

Until next month when they get 2.33 GHz processors. <-- Just an example.

It will take time to adjust to the product lines getting processor bumps constantly. I am sure there will be some back and forth situations on the mid range iMac's and MacBook Pro lines from here on out.

Your mini's/iBooks and powermacs will remain the slowest and fastest with clear seperation. between the mid-range systems.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Animal Farm

Now the supposed "desktop" which used to be marginally faster is actually slightly SLOWER than the MacBook Pro laptops.

Any anticipated changes to the iMac lineup to accomodate this odd disadvantaging of the desktop market? Perhaps Apple will upgrade existing 2.0GHz Core Duos...

Before, it was people complaining that the MBP was being disadvantaged, now that the iMac is at a disadvantage, we get the same complaint?

I imagine that maybe Apple doesn't want to canibalize their low end PowerMac sales too much yet.