MacBook Pro announcement may pave way for dual-core iBooks

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

I didn't claim it was based on the Yonah. There's nothing particularly wrong with the current Dothan based Celeron M.

Well, nothing wrong with it apart from the fact that it doesn't support SSE3, and hence cannot run current builds of OS X without SSE3->SSE2 emulation (which is not entirely stable).

Apple could easily recompile OS X without SSE3 support, but if they were planning to use pre-Yonah chips then I don't see why they would require SSE3 on current builds.
  • Reply 42 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marlor

Well, nothing wrong with it apart from the fact that it doesn't support SSE3, and hence cannot run current builds of OS X without SSE3->SSE2 emulation (which is not entirely stable).

Apple could easily recompile OS X without SSE3 support, but if they were planning to use pre-Yonah chips then I don't see why they would require SSE3 on current builds.

That's peculiar. The dev docs all along have been saying not to rely on SSE3 being there. I suppose they could have changed their minds though when it got down to hardware being released and the newer OS builds.

Then again, they can change it again.

With the Celeron M 4xx series apparently delayed though, it does point at Apple using Core CPUs.
  • Reply 43 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by tubgirl

a celeron-m 4x0 in the ibook would make it a cheap, low-power and plenty fast machine. why would you not want that?

The Dothan Celeron M's have half the cache of a Pentium M, and lack enhanced SpeedStep. The lack of enhanced SpeedStep would only be a problem for users that leave their machine inactive for long periods of time while on batteries, since the Celeron M can't "deep sleep". The smaller L2 cache would only really hit power-users.

The Celeron M isn't really that bad a processor overall, but (as I mentioned in my previous post) Apple would have to remove the SSE3 requirement from OS X for it to be an option.

Edit: SSE3 is definitely a requirement of OS X itself. If you look at OSX86Project, there is all sorts of talk about patching kernels to map the SSE3 calls to SSE2 so that they can get OS X to run on their beige boxes.
  • Reply 44 of 73
    Quote:

The Dothan Celeron M's have half the cache of a Pentium M, and lack enhanced SpeedStep. The lack of enhanced SpeedStep would only be a problem for users that leave their machine inactive for long periods of time while on batteries, since the Celeron M can't "deep sleep". The smaller L2 cache would only really hit power-users.

The Celeron M isn't really that bad a processor overall, but (as I mentioned in my previous post) Apple would have to remove the SSE3 requirement from OS X for it to be an option.

i agree. that's why i suggested a c-m 4xx which is based on core solo and do support sse3 and speedstep.
  • Reply 45 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

With the Celeron M 4xx series apparently delayed though, it does point at Apple using Core CPUs.

..and i'm quite sure we'll see these celerons in the intel 'ibooks' before summer.
  • Reply 46 of 73
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tubgirl

..and i'm quite sure we'll see these celerons in the intel 'ibooks' before summer.

and i hope you're wrong

o-o, red iPod alert
  • Reply 47 of 73
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

I think another was that the C-M FSB is slightly slower than what the P-M had.

On the tests I've seein, the smaller L2 only seems to have a marginal, practically unnoticable hit for the same clock P-M. Because the full-cache is 2M, C-M is 1M, the extra didn't seem to help many programs any more than a few percent. The only real pain that made it less desirable was the lack of good power management features.
  • Reply 48 of 73
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    atleast for the marketing strategy (INTEL SWITCH), i do not see Pentium-M NOT happening in MacBook/Mac Mini... i wish that way too...
  • Reply 49 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Apple's announcement today that it has dropped the 1.67GHz Intel Core Duo processor from its professional MacBook Pro line -- in favor of using faster chips -- presents the possibility that the company may now adopt that low-end 1.67GHz dual-core processor for use in its forthcoming consumer iBook notebooks.

Here's a quandry - why has Apple delayed all or virtually orders of the MBP? I can't believe Apple is delaying all preorders just so they could give the buyers a free upgrade. Why is it everybody is speculating on the ibook but no questioning of what the heck is going on with the MBP?
  • Reply 50 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by dutch pear

Well, my brand new 20" core duo iMac shure feels and operates like a prime time machine to me 8)

And hope to heaven nothing goes wrong with it either as well as a lack of available software being your issue. What utility you going to use to defrag or repair your OS? Also next year they'll get MUCH faster as well as the software being there for the most part.......Early adopters and the bleeding edge...no thanks. Not Interested. Yet.
  • Reply 51 of 73
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DVD_Junkie

I can't believe Apple is delaying all preorders just so they could give the buyers a free upgrade.

Neither is anyone else.
  • Reply 52 of 73
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applewiz

And hope to heaven nothing goes wrong with it either as well as a lack of available software being your issue. What utility you going to use to defrag or repair your OS? Also next year they'll get MUCH faster as well as the software being there for the most part.......Early adopters and the bleeding edge...no thanks. Not Interested. Yet.

Defrag? Why?

As for repairs, is there a reason that those programs can't run in Rosetta? As long as it isn't a CPU-heavy and often used program, Rosetta performance should be good enough.
  • Reply 53 of 73
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    My guess: The Intel iMac was rolling off the assembly lines and ate all the chips Apple could get their hands on. They had assumed that they could also feed the MacBook Pro line when it finally was up running.

But the only way Intel could deliver was to spread it over three (and a half) different speeds and thus pre-deliver update.
  • Reply 54 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

My guess: The Intel iMac was rolling off the assembly lines and ate all the chips Apple could get their hands on. They had assumed that they could also feed the MacBook Pro line when it finally was up running.

But the only way Intel could deliver was to spread it over three (and a half) different speeds and thus pre-deliver update.

FYI the Intel iMac has no 1.67GHz processors, so why did Apple cancel all the 1.67GHz MBP orders?
  • Reply 55 of 73
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DVD_Junkie

FYI the Intel iMac has no 1.67GHz processors, so why did Apple cancel all the 1.67GHz MBP orders?

Because those are being stockpiled (and dropshipped to assembly plants) for the forthcoming 13.3" widescreen MacBooks (aka iBook & 12" PowerBook replacement) & Mac mini updates...?!?
  • Reply 56 of 73
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryanh

The 1.6 Core Duo will be used in a 13.3" MacBook Pro that will effectively replace the 12" PowerBook G4.

The Core Solo's will still be used in iBooks [MacBooks?] and probably the mac mini's until 2 Rev's down the road or so. By that time there will be a big enough disparity between the the MacBook Pros and the consumer based notebooks.

How do you know? Are you making those decisions for Apple?

God, I hate it when people spew opinions like they're fact.
  • Reply 57 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by applewiz

Defrag - not necessary

lack of software - all software I want is available as a UB apart from aperture

repair the OS - with the OSx install disk that came with my iMac. I'm going to do regular disk-backups on an external harddisk also

next year much faster - sure, when is this not the case??? it is in every case bleeding fast compared to my athlon 1400 xp POS it replaces

Bleeding edge - well thusfar it just works

I'm pretty happy thusfar!
  • Reply 58 of 73
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

Because those are being stockpiled (and dropshipped to assembly plants) for the forthcoming 13.3" widescreen MacBooks (aka iBook & 12" PowerBook replacement) & Mac mini updates...?!?

Yes grasshopper.

Methinks a Core Solo iBook replacement will be whereas Core Duo iBooks would be !
  • Reply 59 of 73
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by minderbinder

Funny, this article basically says what I've been saying in postings for the last month.

It just makes sense, people. Who is going to pay $1299 for an ibook with HALF the performance of a $1499 macbook?

Show me a $1499 macbook and i'll buy it.
  • Reply 60 of 73
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Yes grasshopper.

Methinks a Core Solo iBook replacement will be whereas Core Duo iBooks would be !

No weedhopper, you are too slow to snatch pebble from palm...

Me, I really want a nice little low voltage Core Duo tablet from Apple...

I see room for 3 sizes:

An 8.x" model, for the PDA/Pocket PC (aka; admins, geeks & medical staff) niche...

A sweet 13.3" model for the educational & consumer markets...

And an especially sweet model for the graphics pros, probably a nice 17.x" model...

Everything should be widescreen...

;^p