Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.5 Client and Server

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 32
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    You better get that vRAM issues looked at ASAP. A guy on MacNN had the same problem, and it turned out that his machine had the wrong amount of RAM installed.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by scott_r

    After the update, my new iMac still shows 128MB video RAM. The box it shipped in says it has 256MB (and cost me extra for that too!). Anyone else with this problem?



    -Scott




    There were some comments on Macintouch that some 256M VRAM machines were sent out with only 128MB. Contact apple and get them to replace it (although they'll probably want you to send in the computer or drive 600 miles to an apple store to get it fixed). Too bad they don't have swappable video cards, they could have just sent you a new one and you could just pop it in yourself.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Louzer

    There were some comments on Macintouch that some 256M VRAM machines were sent out with only 128MB. Contact apple and get them to replace it (although they'll probably want you to send in the computer or drive 600 miles to an apple store to get it fixed). Too bad they don't have swappable video cards, they could have just sent you a new one and you could just pop it in yourself.



    best solution really is, that they send you a new one, and once you got it you send in the old machine.

    I know its possible with hardwaare parts i.e. broken harddrive, new one is send to you you replace it and then you sen din the old one.

    At least that is what was being said on the maccast some time ago
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Does the new update include any changes to thermal detectors? My PB CPU temperature is reportedly 10 degrees Celcius higher. It used to be about 30 degrees, but is now about 40 degrees. The PB is not noticeably warmer, nor do the fans come on more often though. Actually, the fan never comes on on this machine under my normal use. It's just the temperature indicators that are reporting a higher temperature. I don't know which is correct.



    I'm getting my temperature values from the SysStat Nano widget.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Quote:

    Originally posted by drumsticks

    Does the new update include any changes to thermal detectors? My PB CPU temperature is reportedly 10 degrees Celcius higher. It used to be about 30 degrees, but is now about 40 degrees. The PB is not noticeably warmer, nor do the fans come on more often though. Actually, the fan never comes on on this machine under my normal use. It's just the temperature indicators that are reporting a higher temperature. I don't know which is correct.



    I'm getting my temperature values from the SysStat Nano widget.




    sounds like you should contact Applecare about this one.

    Since this can be a really seriouus issue, if not acted in time
  • Reply 26 of 32
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Apple's claiming 10.4.5 fixes this problem:



    PowerBook G4 (Double-Layer SD) audio stutters or skips
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Quote:

    Originally posted by punica888

    sounds like you should contact Applecare about this one.

    Since this can be a really seriouus issue, if not acted in time




    What is the normal temperature anyway?



    EDIT: Reading other forums, I found that 40 degrees Celcius (100 Fahrenheit) is normal, and in fact reasonably cool. So, nothing to worry about, except that it used to be showing about 30 degrees Celcius. Operating environment, software, etc all the same, only difference is 10.4.4 vs 10.4.5.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,028member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by drumsticks

    What is the normal temperature anyway?



    EDIT: Reading other forums, I found that 40 degrees Celcius (100 Fahrenheit) is normal, and in fact reasonably cool. So, nothing to worry about, except that it used to be showing about 30 degrees Celcius. Operating environment, software, etc all the same, only difference is 10.4.4 vs 10.4.5.




    Apple could have upped the temp to coax more speed out of the unit. There might be quicker response on some functions than before. It might only be noticeable under certain conditions, though.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Quote:

    Originally posted by melgross

    Apple could have upped the temp to coax more speed out of the unit. There might be quicker response on some functions than before. It might only be noticeable under certain conditions, though.



    Yeah, that's what I suspect as well. I'm sending my machine in for a faulty earphone jack, so I'll ask them then.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Quote:

    Originally posted by drumsticks

    Yea! This fixed a font corruption problem I was having.



    I use my PBG4 1.67GHz (High Resolution) with an external Sony Trinitron 20in (VGA cable). When I use TeXShop with monitor spanning, the preview PDF file always came up with corrupt looking fonts before. This happened irrespective of which TeXShop window (code or output) is on the main screen (the PB) or the extra screen (the Trinitron).



    I don't know if this is a font fix or a graphics driver fix. Either way, I'm happy with this update!




    Crap. I take that back... The font corruption is due to a bad font cache. Nothing to do with 10.4.5
  • Reply 31 of 32
    Quote:

    Originally posted by drumsticks

    Crap. I take that back... The font corruption is due to a bad font cache. Nothing to do with 10.4.5



    Actually, I'm not the only one with font problems http://www.drunkenblog.com/drunkenbl...es/000605.html
  • Reply 32 of 32
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Louzer

    There were some comments on Macintouch that some 256M VRAM machines were sent out with only 128MB. Contact apple and get them to replace it (although they'll probably want you to send in the computer or drive 600 miles to an apple store to get it fixed). Too bad they don't have swappable video cards, they could have just sent you a new one and you could just pop it in yourself.



    No, that would be common sence, and Apples desktop team smokes too much crack to let comon sence have a role...hence why the LOW end of a reasonable system is $2000 WITHOUT EVEN A FRIGGEN DISPLAY!
Sign In or Register to comment.