Intel to cut Core Duo pricing ahead of 2.33GHz model

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I won't buy any machine that isn't a dual and I'd like a new laptop to replace my uber-long-in-the-tooth rev a Ti PowerBook.

Trade you that PB for my 600MHz iBook G3.
  • Reply 22 of 51
    this is going to lead the way for ibook ( macbook! ) core duo

mac mini core!! thatts for sure!
  • Reply 23 of 51
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sjk

Trade you that PB for my 600MHz iBook G3.

Trade you your 600 G3 for my 266 Wallstreet G3.

Especially once my freshly ordered MBP arrives.

Think I'll notice a speed improvement?

re: CPU/model matrix, based on the pre-release speed bump, my guess is Apple will keep two speed options, and just slot in the new Intel chips at the standard price points as they become available.

My question is how will Apple handle inventory across the bumps? ie: Wait til the channels are mostly empty to announce the bumps, risking trailing Dell et alia? Or annouce as soon as available, and clear old product via discount pricing?

My guess is the latter, which could make for some good buys for those who don't hunger for first-tier speeds.
  • Reply 24 of 51
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    third calendar month (march) or third calendar quarter (July)???

3Q are we not expecting Merom then the price cut shd apply to entire Yonah rite?

bit confused ... and too long wait ... 2.33 Ghz means MacBook /MacMini will see atleast 1.67 Ghz Duo and it is a good sign
  • Reply 25 of 51
    Expect shorter timeframes between updates in all lines with Intel onboard. Apple won't be waiting 12 months or 9 months between tiny incremental updates. They now can update more often with Intel. Not to mention this will allow for more "products" with new markets.
  • Reply 26 of 51
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shanmugam

third calendar month (march) or third calendar quarter (July)???

3Q are we not expecting Merom then the price cut shd apply to entire Yonah rite?

bit confused ... and too long wait ... 2.33 Ghz means MacBook /MacMini will see atleast 1.67 Ghz Duo and it is a good sign

Merom might be delayed until early 4th quarter.
  • Reply 27 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by mdriftmeyer

Expect shorter timeframes between updates in all lines with Intel onboard. Apple won't be waiting 12 months or 9 months between tiny incremental updates. They now can update more often with Intel. Not to mention this will allow for more "products" with new markets.

I agree more often, but I think they will still be somewhat careful with updates because it creates issues with retailers and whatnot who have old stock.
  • Reply 28 of 51
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mdriftmeyer

I don't expect this at all. Apple never has (and its not because they couldn't). They just don't want to confuse the issue (plus, even more people would hold off buying if they had to worry about a new update every 6 weeks).

Dell changes specs regularly, including price. I don't see Apple coming close to this.
  • Reply 29 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

I don't expect this at all. Apple never has (and its not because they couldn't). They just don't want to confuse the issue (plus, even more people would hold off buying if they had to worry about a new update every 6 weeks).

Dell changes specs regularly, including price. I don't see Apple coming close to this.

Do you remember the days when the cpu's WERE upgraded regularly?

There was a "speed bump" every early April and late September, with more serious upgrades in January and July.

That ended when when I bought my daughter's new 450 G4. We were lucky enough to have ordered it before Apple announced the 50MHz rollback.

We never saw regular speed bumps again.

Maybe we will now. The MacBook Pro is a good sign.

EDIT; Meant to add this but hit the send button.

Hopefully, not every 6 weeks or so.
  • Reply 30 of 51
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

Will Apple lower prices or keep the processor spec's up?

That will be interesting to see...

They'll keep processor specs up. Keep in mind price cuts only matter if you are ordering new processors. Apple would have ordered an initial supply to carry it through the quarter knowing full well Intel generally releases price cuts just prior to a faster processor.

Better question is will they do a quiet upgrade and just start shipping faster ones as they become available or will they upgrade their site immediately and "announce" the release?
  • Reply 31 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

They'll keep processor specs up. Keep in mind price cuts only matter if you are ordering new processors. Apple would have ordered an initial supply to carry it through the quarter knowing full well Intel generally releases price cuts just prior to a faster processor.

Better question is will they do a quiet upgrade and just start shipping faster ones as they become available or will they upgrade their site immediately and "announce" the release?

That's a good question after what happened with the Mini.
  • Reply 32 of 51
    I foresee a 'revision' in may.
  • Reply 33 of 51
    Umm... gotta be the wet blanket here but what are the real-world speed differences between the 1.67, 1.83, 2.0, 2.15 etc etc ?? (sorry, can't remember the exact numbers)

I know it's a different architecture but those differences in clock speeds are pretty small so at this stage it seems like more a marketing thing
  • Reply 34 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Umm... gotta be the wet blanket here but what are the real-world speed differences between the 1.67, 1.83, 2.0, 2.15 etc etc ?? (sorry, can't remember the exact numbers)

The differences are pretty close to the percentage difference in clock speed. Even a 1.83 is almost 10% faster than the 1.67. The 2.33 is almost 40% faster.

If you're just running a word processor, you won't notice the difference. If you're doing renders, that time adds up fast, even the small differences. Wouldn't you like to spend even 5% less working every day?
  • Reply 35 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by minderbinder

If you're just running a word processor, you won't notice the difference. If you're doing renders, that time adds up fast, even the small differences. Wouldn't you like to spend even 5% less working every day?

Wouldn't waiting for your computer to finish rendering mean you work less?
  • Reply 36 of 51
    I expect we may see product refreshes every 3-4 months with the Intel switch. Those Mac nerds who feel cheated and betrayed unless they have the latest and greatest Mac for no less than nine months are going to have to adjust to Apple being competitive. On the plus side, this will also mean that Apple's products should never fall into a poor price/performance lull like they so often have the past few years. If anything, more frequent updates should make people more comfortable buying a Mac product immediately, because when the revision does come it's not going to be twelve months worth of backlogged technology dumped into one major annual refresh.
  • Reply 37 of 51
    If Apple moves to Duo in all lines the arrival of a faster chip should not cause them too much of a problem. They will just drop each chip down one line and silently upgrade the Mac mini until stocks run out. It is odd, though, to see information on speed increases the same week the first MacBook Pro is shipped. that's something that we'll have to get used to, but it is far better than waiting for Moto or IBM to deliver.
  • Reply 38 of 51
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

It is odd, though, to see information on speed increases the same week the first MacBook Pro is shipped. that's something that we'll have to get used to.

And something Apple needs to get used to. Gone are the days when Apple could influence IBM/moto to keep a lid on their imminent products.

I agree with Cory that, once we get used to more frequent updates, they will likely make us more comfortable with making purchases. ie: Buying on a slowly rising curve, instead of a step function with long horizontal lulls.
  • Reply 39 of 51
    ibuzzibuzz Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by imiloa

And something Apple needs to get used to. Gone are the days when Apple could influence IBM/moto to keep a lid on their imminent products.

I agree with Cory that, once we get used to more frequent updates, they will likely make us more comfortable with making purchases. ie: Buying on a slowly rising curve, instead of a step function with long horizontal lulls.

I agree with you both. It also portends some good buys as they have to unload some slightly outdated machines. It's a different world with Intel boys. Strap in for a wild ride. 8)
  • Reply 40 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by xUKHCx

this is also good as it makes the 1.66 ghz core duo could make its way into the Macbook

Ah, yes! But how soon?