Q. regarding iPhoto album as desktop background...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hello,

I have a folder that I use to store photos that I would like to use as a rotating desktop background.

However, all these photos come from my iPhoto Library. I tried to set up an album in iPhoto where I could put these images and then use this album as a basis for rotating the desktop background. BUT the Mac OS X (10.4.5) Desktop preferenced does not allow this! It does allow you to select one photo from one of you albums, but then the "rotate every x minutes" option is disabled.

Is there a way to enable this funcitonality, or a third party application that will change the background based on an iPhoto album ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    You should be able to just pick an album under "iPhoto Library" in that list on the left of the Desktop Preference Pane window.

I have an album in iPhoto called "50th birthday". I scroll down in the Desktop prefpane until I see "iPhoto Library", then under that are all of the Albums in iPhoto. I select the 50th Birthday one and I can check the box that says Change Picture, then select the time interval.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

You should be able to just pick an album under "iPhoto Library" in that list on the left of the Desktop Preference Pane window.

I have an album in iPhoto called "50th birthday". I scroll down in the Desktop prefpane until I see "iPhoto Library", then under that are all of the Albums in iPhoto. I select the 50th Birthday one and I can check the box that says Change Picture, then select the time interval.

That is odd! Whenever I choose an album from the list, that check box is disabled (greyed out). This is the case for ALL albums that I have in iPhoto.

I did come up with one ok-ish solution though. I created an album "Desktop Pictures" in iPhoto and added my photos to it. After selecting the album (but no pictures) I clicked on the "Desktop" symbol. iPhoto now creates aliases to all pictures in that album and places it in a "iPhoto Selected" folder inside the iPhoto-folder. It automatically opens System Prefrences. Now, with this folder I can enable photo rotation and intervals...

It's a bit of a drag though, cuz I need to re-do the alias-creation every time I add a photo to this album ...
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Boe... I've noticed the same problem ... It would seem to be a bug in my opinion.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    i'm getting the greyed-out-box-when-selecting-and-iphoto-album-problem too
  • Reply 5 of 9
    And me too
  • Reply 6 of 9
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    I'm using iPhoto 4.0.3, 4H2, that might be a bug in later iPhoto versions? Maybe we can narrow this down.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    keotkeot Posts: 116member
    Same problem here, I wonder if the bottom line is disabled on purpose?

Mac OS X 10.4.5 and iPhoto 5.0.4 (263)
  • Reply 8 of 9
    This quirk has been discussed a few times before already. The work-around is here:

http://www.macworld.com/2005/10/secr...ints/index.php
  • Reply 9 of 9
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Same here:

with 10.4.5

iphoto 6