internet plug-ins with Safari

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Dear All,

New Mac user...so be gentle!

My work site requires me to down load an internet plug-in (Safari comes up with the message - "Safari cannot find internet plug-in"). After following companies directions and installing the plug-in I still get the same message when I try to visit the site.

This is a brand new intel mac...10.4.4

Any ideas why this is happening?

Many thanks to all inadvance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    What plug-in is that?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    The message that comes up is:

The page "F5 Network Access" has content of MIME type "application/x-f5-sslvpn". Because you don't have a plug-in installed for this MIME type, this content can't be displayed.

Many thanks for your help

Cheers
  • Reply 3 of 16
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    I'm guessing the plug-in is available for the Mac but hasn't been updated for the Intel machines. While Rosetta can translate PPC apps it can only translate plug-ins if the entire app is being run in Rosetta. To do this do a Get-Info (Cmd-I) on Safari and select "Run using Rosetta" then re-launch Safari and test the site it should now work.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    ChrisG

Many thanks for your help, but as I said I am new to Macs and I'm not sure how to do the things you said.....sorry! any chance for step by step intructions......again, many thanks for your help.

Cheers
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Sure, Here's how you can force a Universal application to open using Rosetta:

1. Click the application's icon in the Finder. (You can click and hold on Safari in the Dock and select "Show Item in Finder" to go directly to it)

2. From the Finder File menu, choose Get Info (or press Command-I).

3. Select the checkbox named "Open using Rosetta."

4. Close the Get Info window.

Now, when you double-click the application, it will open with Rosetta, and any non-Universal plug-ins should work.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    ChrisG

Many thanks! But..........there was no box for "open with Rosetta"...infact I cant even to seem to find anything on this computer named Rosetta?

Many thanks for your help.........
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Here's a question regarding Safari. Why is it that MySpace doesn't act well in Safari? Is there something I ought to have that I don't in order to make those pages actually readable? I will load a page and then when I try to scroll down Safari completely chokes, even after the page is supposedly fully loaded according to the progress bar. I have the latest version of flash installed and it still doesn't help. Ideas anyone?
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by shaggss

ChrisG

Many thanks! But..........there was no box for "open with Rosetta"...infact I cant even to seem to find anything on this computer named Rosetta?

Many thanks for your help.........

Its in the Get Info window in the Finder. Select Safari in the Finder and go to File -> Get Info
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brian Green

Here's a question regarding Safari. Why is it that MySpace doesn't act well in Safari? Is there something I ought to have that I don't in order to make those pages actually readable? I will load a page and then when I try to scroll down Safari completely chokes, even after the page is supposedly fully loaded according to the progress bar. I have the latest version of flash installed and it still doesn't help. Ideas anyone?

I have found this as well... those MySpace pages can gets some really crusty code and often have 5-10 pieces of Flash/Windows Media embedded in them.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Brian: Quit Safari (don't just close all it's windows, which doesn't quit most apps; you must make Safari active, and choose File -> Quit). Then click once and continue to hold down on Safari's icon in the Dock. Choose "Show in Finder" from the list that pops up.

A Finder window pops open with Safari selected. Now go to File -> Get Info, and you should see the Rosetta option in the Get Info window for Safari.

This will slow Safari down, but your plugin needed for that one site should work.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    shaggssshaggss Posts: 16member
    Chris G

excellent........many thanks for your help....now working.....just gotta get the rest going now.

kind regards

s
  • Reply 12 of 16
    shaggssshaggss Posts: 16member
    Chris G or anyone else out there that can help!

I followed your instructions and set safari to open with rosetta. This worked great for that particular site, but now when I try to view secure sites like banking ones, it tells me to "enable Java" (which it is already). Once I uncheck the "open with rosetta" box, these sites work fine, but obviously the other one doesnt?

Any clues as to a way around this without having to reconfigure all the time?

Many thanks to all in advanced

s
  • Reply 13 of 16
    dutch peardutch pear Posts: 588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shaggss

Chris G or anyone else out there that can help!

I followed your instructions and set safari to open with rosetta. This worked great for that particular site, but now when I try to view secure sites like banking ones, it tells me to "enable Java" (which it is already). Once I uncheck the "open with rosetta" box, these sites work fine, but obviously the other one doesnt?

Any clues as to a way around this without having to reconfigure all the time?

Many thanks to all in advanced

s

Well, it seems that one of your sites is working only under rosetta while the other is not. What I would suggest as the easiest solution is installing another browser and have one run under rosetta and the other natively. Have the browser you like the most run natively (starts and works faster) and have the other run under rosetta and just use it for the site you metioned above.

I would suggest Camino, which is a really great browser.

Edit: oh, by the way, you mentioned you run OSX 10.4.4, if you're still running that, do a system update, 10.4.5 has some important security updates!
  • Reply 14 of 16
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    Have you tried making a copy of Safari and call it "Safari Rosetta" or something and set just that version to open with Rosetta? Just remember that if Safari gets updated, you'll need to make a new copy of the original to update it. I don't have an intel mac myself to test this, but it may work.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Endymion

Have you tried making a copy of Safari and call it "Safari Rosetta" or something and set just that version to open with Rosetta? Just remember that if Safari gets updated, you'll need to make a new copy of the original to update it. I don't have an intel mac myself to test this, but it may work.

This is an amazing idea, if this ends up working,

then you hit a new level of troubleshooting on Mac.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    thanks guys , I had this same problem and this got me up and going. Once the plugin workde I was getting a pppd error. Sorry i do not have the exact message. I found the fix for it here:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....44263&#6044263