perks for New Intel products???

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
so besides the fact when the software transitioned to work properly and that it is faster than previous models intel will basically let you use more software programs???? What other perks am i missing for this new transition to intel based?????

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chortytke

so besides the fact when the software transitioned to work properly and that it is faster than previous models intel will basically let you use more software programs???? What other perks am i missing for this new transition to intel based?????

apple sees most of the perks. it gives them more options for design in future products.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by chortytke

... intel will basically let you use more software programs???? ...

uh... no.

Applications will still be written for either OSX or Windows. You still can't run Windows apps on OSX. So unless I'm misunderstanding the question, there will not be "more" software available for the Intel platform than there was/is for PPC.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    There are some other perks but they primarily relate to the product roadmap and machine updates. The switch to intel should give us better economies of scale as well as more frequent CPU updates.

Since the current Core Duo processors are practically new, they cost more than the previous G4/G5 chips. However, prices will come down since the entire PC industry is using these chips. Also, intel will release speed bumped versions and Apple should be able to slip these in to the machines with little effort and little fanfare. I'd expect minor speed bumps throughout the year as faster processors come out and prices are reduced on the previous, slower chips.

Also, regarding "You still can't run Windows apps on OSX" that's only kind of accurate. The Mac OS does not natively have systems to run Windows applications, but apps are starting to spring up that will do this and without emulation. Previous Macs had to emulate an intel processor which greatly slowed down the applications. With the intel processors this won't be needed and we should be able to run windows apps at nearly full speed, just like one could run them under Linux. Nobody would by a Mac to run Windows apps, but this is a nice perk we'll take advantage of down the line. Eventually being able to dual boot in to Windows will help all those programmers / web developers out there.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

uh... no.

Applications will still be written for either OSX or Windows. You still can't run Windows apps on OSX. So unless I'm misunderstanding the question, there will not be "more" software available for the Intel platform than there was/is for PPC.

You'll be able to use WINE, VirtualPC, or some other same-architecture emulator eventually methinks.