What design is best. iMac G4 or iMac G5

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

The G4 was a great design, but some things always bugged me about it.

The G5/intel is for me the perfect symboiosis of function and form, it solves all my issues withe the G4.

It has looks destinctly as a natural evolvement of the first imac, while the G4 looks more like a danish design experiment.

The worst thing about the G4, where it actually became less functional than the original imac was the cable clutter. Going for external speakers and a base where the cables had to run around it was not a brilliant design move.

Also going back to tray-loading was always a mystery to me, the way it hit the back of the keyboard was a joke.

Lastly, while being great engineering, the arm was an answer to a problem that wasn't there. why have a turnable screen, when the whole machine turns easily by itself?

I disagree...somewhat. While the G5's form is certainly functional, it's not perfect (well nothing really is). The inability to swivel it's screen like the G4 isn't the biggest issue, but rather it's inability to adjust height wise. The sleek aluminum stand is damn sexy, but leave little to function.

As far as the G4, the external globe speakers really give it that added personality. The tray-load was probably a cost issue, but yeah never understood why it never went slot loading especially with later revisions.

Not sure about your last comment, as turning the whole machine around is actually rather awkward..given the dome is rather difficult to grip on to.

• Reply 22 of 28
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Not sure about your last comment, as turning the whole machine around is actually rather awkward..given the dome is rather difficult to grip on to.

If the screen was fixed, like it is now, then you would just turn it by grabbing the screen, right?
  • Reply 23 of 28
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dBUG7

i've never seen that one before..

the one with a guy walks pass an apple store with a G4 in the display..;D

Here you go. For other older Mac-related movies, you can always look here.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I've used both, and the iMac G5 is nicer. It takes up less desk space and is easier to upgrade the RAM on. How many times did I move the display around? Maybe once when I first sat down to it. After that, what was once a clever design element became a frivolous extra. The iMac G5, on the other hand, is impeccably designed, and there's nothing frivolous about it.

Absolutely spot on.

I think it's been a pretty good progression with the G5 being the best yet. I just like that the g5 is all screen.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    IMO the G4 is perfection. I could never underestand how they mass-produced them.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Although the G4 did have more character and the floating display was extremely useful, I vote for the G5 because it has less problems than the G4.

Judging by what I saw on display at the store, the G4's plastic always seemed to be dirty and the DVD tray was always obstucted by something. It bothered me at the time. OTOH, the G5 is no-nonsense. Maybe more plain and boring but no aesthetic problems.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    dbug7dbug7 Posts: 11member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Here you go. For other older Mac-related movies, you can always look here.

lol..that's the one...

omg..he has heaps of apple related video..~ sweet!!

thx ;D
  • Reply 28 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

While I *really* liked the swiwel thing that allowed you to arrange your monitor in many ways, it was also very expensive and not at all good for transportation.

Hell yeah it is! Mine got knocked around in the box on my way back home from school last Christmas and the screen started to tilt left and right ... that damn neck cost almost $500 to fix, and the first time they fixed it, the cables got screwed up and I had to take it back in. It's a fabulous home or office machine, but if you do a lot of moving, it's a pain in the ass.