Upgrading a Cube : dual G4 or Powerlogix 800 or 1 Ghz????

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Ok... I have the opportunity to buy a dual 450 G processor card for my Cube (for $350). The hack shown here does not seem easy to do....but..

Or I could buy a 800 Mhz Powerlogix for $599 or Ghz for $799. Both have L3 cache and are Appolo processors.

Â*

What would you do? Do you thyink the dual processor performance would be roughly equivalent to that of the 800 Mhz upgrade?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    brunobruinbrunobruin Posts: 552member
    My dual 450 at work still seems very fast; I really think the duals make a difference in OS X. That being said, I would be really nervous about the dual hack for the Cube. I'm going to see how the Powerlogix upgrades work out and will probably get the 800 for my Cube; I figure the new processor plus the L3 cache should be close to double the speed of the 450, and that's a pretty good upgrade. I'd just be more comfortable with an upgrade that was designed for the Cube and came with a warranty.

Or I might wait for the next round of cards to see if the 1GHz drops to $599 or so.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Ask yourself this:

Do you really NEED the power, or just merely WANT it?

Spec Envy (Speccius Enviatimus) is the 3rd leading cause of geek anxiety, you know.

My Cat is no Watermelon
  • Reply 3 of 5
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    single proc: less heat, more speed. put a fan in too, though, for good measure.

See the other post in current hardware "Dual 500 or 1Ghz" for more info.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    marcusmarcus Posts: 227member
    I'm wondering just how more effective the 1ghz would be over the 800 mhz bearing in mind the 100mhz bus? Would the extra mhz be nullified because of the bandwidth limitation (like the pre 133 bus Powermacs?)

Marcus
  • Reply 5 of 5
    brunobruinbrunobruin Posts: 552member
    [quote]I'm wondering just how more effective the 1ghz would be over the 800 mhz bearing in mind the 100mhz bus?<hr></blockquote>

I think I'm gonna wait for some benchmarks, as well as some reports on the installation and how easy/hard it is.