need command line access to Mail.app

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Does anyone know if Apple is working on this?

I would like to get my email using ssh from another computer, in the same way I can do it using pine.

I could use pine, but I like Mail!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Er, Mail is GUI only. How do you expect to be able to use that over ssh?

Just curious...

More explicitly, what would a potential CLI tool to integrate with Mail get you that pine doesn't?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I think Mail has really good organization tools, and is improving on features faster than pine.

Plus, pine has no gui.

I think there are lots of examples of tools where there is both a command line interface and a GUI, and both interfaces work with the same application api.

If Mail was designed well, there should be a clear separation of the application, and the front end (GUI) so adding a command line tool would be fairly trivial.

Another idea would be for Mail.app to have a web interface, which the user could turn on. So I could get to my mail from any computer, if I knew my computers IP address.

The goal is to gain access to the Mail app, without needing to use remote desktop stuff.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by code mechanic

I think Mail has really good organization tools, and is improving on features faster than pine.

Plus, pine has no gui.

I think there are lots of examples of tools where there is both a command line interface and a GUI, and both interfaces work with the same application api.

If Mail was designed well, there should be a clear separation of the application, and the front end (GUI) so adding a command line tool would be fairly trivial.

Another idea would be for Mail.app to have a web interface, which the user could turn on. So I could get to my mail from any computer, if I knew my computers IP address.

The goal is to gain access to the Mail app, without needing to use remote desktop stuff.

Do you want to gain access to Mail.app or do you want to gain access to your mail? The Unix commandline mail app is available and fully functional.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Yeah, I'm kind of confused here - which Mail features do you see that would be transportable to a CLI? Folder structures? Smart folders?

Assuming you're on an IMAP system, I say use pine and be done with it, but...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    The CLI would only need to have the most basic capabilities.

It doesn't have to do everything the GUI interface can do.

It should allow me to see my emails and to reply to them.

Maybe Apple just wants me to us ARD but what if I'm on the road and using someone elses Unix box and I just feel like using ssh to go to my workstation and check my emails?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by code mechanic

The CLI would only need to have the most basic capabilities.

It doesn't have to do everything the GUI interface can do.

It should allow me to see my emails and to reply to them.

Maybe Apple just wants me to us ARD but what if I'm on the road and using someone elses Unix box and I just feel like using ssh to go to my workstation and check my emails?

Then again, why not just use pine? It allows you to see your emails and reply to them...

Ahhhhh, I think I see what you want. You want your account information, etc, to resident on the machine you ssh into. So you enter it once into Mail, then have access to it through another CLI client through ssh. Alright, that's reasonable.

Nope, sorry, can't help you.

Might be easier to set up a squirrelmail mirror on your machine to provide webmail access.