Spotlight on the internet?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Would it be crazy to make spotlight search the internet?

Would it be helpfull?

Your opinions here:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Spotlight for the internet: Google. And you don´t even have to wait for it to index it for you.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Spotlight for the internet: Google. And you don´t even have to wait for it to index it for you.

• Reply 3 of 14
    My God! Could you imagine indexing the entire net in Spotlight? I think GW might be re-elected President before then.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zenga

Would it be helpfull?

Your opinions here:

Well, I think it would make more sense to integrate google search into spotlight and offer web results as an additional results category.

Although I doubt I would really use this.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by dutch pear

Well, I think it would make more sense to integrate google search into spotlight and offer web results as an additional results category.

Although I doubt I would really use this.

Well, if there are improvements in the way Spotlight presents it's results I'd say it's likely that Google searches would be integrated into Spotlight searches. Of course, it should be something that is easy to toggle on and off and the results should be somehow seperated from the local search results.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    unless Apple starts giving us a few Petabytes for indexing the web, it's a no-go.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    bad idea... keep local and web searches separate. Other wise you'll be waiting...
  • Reply 8 of 14
  • Reply 9 of 14
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Actually, it would be cool to do a Spotlight search of Google, eBay, and other sites like that. While my computer is showing me results for "cat," I'm also getting Google article and image results, eBay listings, etc. It could be an option that's able to be turned off.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    bborofkabborofka Posts: 230member
    I remember when Apple was first talking about Spotlight, they made it clear that they were not going to do it like Windows Vista: a web AND local search tool. They were adamant that Spotlight would be for local volumes only, and I'm glad.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zenga

Would it be helpfull?

Your opinions here:

First I laughed when I saw the reply about Google, but actually you might I repeat you might, have a crystal ball.

Read point 16.

http://looprumors.com/Pages/leopardinfo0321006.html
  • Reply 12 of 14
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
  • Reply 13 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en

google suggestions...

The idea being for very quick searches without the need to open your browser!

Anyway I have inquisitor installed!
  • Reply 14 of 14
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

The idea being for very quick searches without the need to open your browser!

Anyway I have inquision installed!

I understood that. Just wanted to show u guys Google Suggest.

btw, that would be inquisitor, not the inquisition...