Apple to ship 2 millionth copy of Tiger; Leopard due by 2007

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    rwahrensrwahrens Posts: 44member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iShawn

I doubt there will be many switches from Mac to Longhorn, do you think? I know a lot of people come to Mac because they don't have to screw with viri and such. Are we ever going to need to worry about that? I guess after all I could just turn off the Airport connection on the mac... when I don't need it. Most of the mac's use is recording. And I will be with Apple until they (Or I myself) die. Apple's music and video production has amazed me.

What makes you think just moving to Intel would make Mac OS X more vulnerable to viri? That's a function of the OS and its inherent security or lack thereof, NOT the hardware!

Of course, eventually, Mac OS X will probably get hit by something - I read yesterday that there is a trojan horse that targets the same unix kernal apple uses for X - and infects the Apache server - AND Apple has already released the patch to cover it. So, yes, we will, and really, are. But Apple has a much better track record in responding to this stuff than M$, and, by the way, generally ship their OS more locked down than the Evil Empire does.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rwahrens

What makes you think just moving to Intel would make Mac OS X more vulnerable to viri? That's a function of the OS and its inherent security or lack thereof, NOT the hardware!

Of course, eventually, Mac OS X will probably get hit by something - I read yesterday that there is a trojan horse that targets the same unix kernal apple uses for X - and infects the Apache server - AND Apple has already released the patch to cover it. So, yes, we will, and really, are. But Apple has a much better track record in responding to this stuff than M$, and, by the way, generally ship their OS more locked down than the Evil Empire does.

Good to know.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    Hold up a sec here.... Vista is slated for December 06' right?

WWDC was in October as I recall...

If WWDC is in October again this year...there's no way Apple will get Leopard out around the same time as Longhorn.

I think we're looking at another special event or a really weird year as far as WWDC goes.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by BriJQ84

WWDC was in October as I recall...

If WWDC is in October again this year...there's no way Apple will get Leopard out around the same time as Longhorn.

I think we're looking at another special event or a really weird year as far as WWDC goes.

WWDC has been in June the past few years.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    Quote:

Vista is now slated for 08-31-2006.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by FrenchMac

Vista is now slated for 08-31-2006.

Which means whatever Apple shows of at WWDC isnt gonna make it into Vista until at least SP1.

Nice.

But then again, Vista will have been on the market for ~6 months at the release time. Personally I think Apple has to go head on with MS for this one.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I hope they plan for a August 31st release.

Leopard must be a feature release since Apple claimed the APIs are fixed. If that is right the OS people at Apple have had a lot of time to come up with new and/or improved features to woo the audience and press.

Perhaps an reintroduction/improving of Tigers most promising features, Widgets, Automator and Spotlight, could do the trick for the Apple-ignorant audience.

And right now it seems like bad tactics to have exported Garageband, iMovie et al to a seperate suite. It makes it harder to claim it is part of the OS. Could have made a VERY good selling point. Perhaps they should reinclude it into the OS for the 10.5 release only...
  • Reply 28 of 47
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Right. Perhaps for a month they could package iLife 06 in with Leopard.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by rwahrens

I'm not positive about this, so if I'm fudging details, I'm sorry

PPC processors store executable code and data in separate places in memory, whereas Intel chips lump it all together. This means that Intel chips are more vulnerable to buffer overflows, which is one of the main entry points viruses use.

That said, I'm not the least bit concerned, because Apple seems to be making security a top priority.

Edit: Wow, I already replied to this thread without reading half of it... and replied to it again later... oh well
  • Reply 30 of 47
    Are Vista and Longhorn the same thing...?

I'm confused...
  • Reply 31 of 47
    Yes. Vista and Longhorn are the same thing. The name was changed from Longhorn to Vista though so officially it's called "Windows Vista". My bad for the confusion.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    Quote:

Yes. Vista and Longhorn are the same thing. The name was changed from Longhorn to Vista though so officially it's called "Windows Vista". My bad for the confusion.

This is wrong. They are not the same thing at all.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    Explain, bitte.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blue2kdave

This is wrong. They are not the same thing at all.

Microsoft disagrees with you.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

Microsoft disagrees with you.

Interesting. I didn't know this either, I just assumed they decided to change the name. Damn shame though:

Quote:

You'll need Windows Media Player to view the video.

Oh well, should have seen that coming.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    There was no name change per se. Longhorn was always a codename.

Windows Vista is the official name for the next version of Windows (and they ARE the same thing).
  • Reply 37 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Explain, bitte.

I am confused. Is the argument since they are both windows releases they are the same? I guess I was saying that they are different in the same way that 10.3 and 10.4 are different. I also thought there was a great deal of new code. But, hey, I think its a semantics argument.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    As stated above Longhorn was a codename. Vista will be the name itis sold under.

Just like the relationship between Puma and Mac OS X 10.1
  • Reply 39 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by blue2kdave

I am confused. Is the argument since they are both windows releases they are the same? I guess I was saying that they are different in the same way that 10.3 and 10.4 are different. I also thought there was a great deal of new code. But, hey, I think its a semantics argument.

Lets try to end your confusion. Longhorn is code name of the OS that Microsoft has been developing for years. As seen in the press release linked to above, the OFFICIAL name will be VISTA.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    And now due for release Jan 2007

Probably so they can steal some more things from OS X

Rob