What are your tech buying habits? Now or later?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've seen preferences for tech buying that run the gamut. Some people have to be on the bleeding edge, buying the very latest Mac the day it comes out. They'll buy the first HD-DVD player as soon as it's released. Others wait a while for the "Rev. B" but still only buy new. Some won't EVER buy new and only go for recently discontinued or refurbished items. The last group, like my brother, always buy "last year's model" when it's dirt cheap and most don't want it anymore.

Where do you fall on the spectrum? The bleeding edge or slow-poke tail end? I personally usually buy the "Rev. B" or "recently discontinued." I don't have enough of a need for the very lastest and am content with waiting a little while for features to improve or the price to come down.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    No comments and only 5 votes. Should I take that to mean that you all don't EVER buy tech?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

No comments and only 5 votes. Should I take that to mean that you all don't EVER buy tech?

I think it's because you forgot "When I need to buy something."

I don't care too much where products are in their cycle. If I need to buy something, I look at the market, might wait a week or so if an announcement is near, then purchase.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    What ipodandimac said.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

That's inferred, but let me clarify:

WHEN YOU NEED TO BUY SOMETHING, what's the status of the item you buy?

IOW, if you need another Mac today, would you generally buy the 2.16Ghz MacBook Pro, the dual 2Ghz PowerMac, find a 20" iMac G5 closeout at a local retailer, or get a 1.6Ghz Power Mac G5 off of eBay?

Generally.

Again, it seems people usually fall into one category over others. Bleeding edge, Rev. B, "Last Year's Model" only, etc.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

I don't care too much where products are in their cycle. If I need to buy something, I look at the market, might wait a week or so if an announcement is near, then purchase.

couldn't agree more

...and I voted for the first option by the way.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    I buy what I need..

I need it a new Mac, I bought an G5 iMac 20" (Best Mac for my money)

I need another one for work, I'll buy the same G5 iMac 20" on rebate $1.500 if I could find one (Intel next year)

I need a killer laptop with pro features (I'm waiting for the new MacBooks) only for the form factor 13.3" maybe? (But if is too expensive, I'll wait for the price to come down)But I'll buy it even if it came with a G4 processor.

I want a mini for my future 42" kick ass TV.. I will buy the cheapest one (only for dvd's and internet)

I hope this help!

P.S I'll take any MAC if it's FREE!